Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Flat earth

  1. #31
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    8,899
    Thanked: 6962
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    In a rush but the article noted that a look at the horizon from an ocean view looks curved..can anyone find an image showing a curved horizon? Everyone I looked at was a straight line..
    On thing is when you see a ship come at you over the horizon, you will see the tip of the mast first since it's coming up a 'ball'.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  3. #32
    Senior Member Tehilah Ba'Aretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    372
    Thanked: 368
    That Isaiah 11:12 passage is interesting. You do know that it doesn't say, "four corners of the Earth" in Hebrew, right? The word interpreted as corners is the Hebrew word, (transliterated) kanafot. It is used to speak of the knotted fringes on a prayer shawl and also is more commonly translated, "wings." The knotted fringes remind us of God's authority enshrined in Torah (the teachings of Moses.) The wings speak of the four commonly used terms of direction, north, south, east and west.
    There, now that we have untwisted the passage...

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tehilah Ba'Aretz For This Useful Post:

    Femme* (08-02-2015), FresnoJoe (08-01-2015), Nightsky (07-31-2015)

  5. #33
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,095
    Thanked: 4547
    Gen 13:14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Look around from where you are, to the north and south, to the east and west."

    Not sure what that is in the original Hebrew but it seems to be a different saying.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  7. #34
    10 scientific reasons the earth is round

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_W280R_Jt8

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  9. #35
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,095
    Thanked: 4547
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Gen 13:14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Look around from where you are, to the north and south, to the east and west."

    Not sure what that is in the original Hebrew but it seems to be a different saying.
    I had a look at it now and the directions seem to be related to locations. The word for south is "Negeb" as in the desert to the South. But this could be the other way around, the Negeb desert simply meaning "southland". The word for west is the same as for sea, west being the general direction of the Mediterranean from Israel. The word for east also means antiquity, it could be a matter of Abraham coming from East of Israel. The word for North doesn't seem that clear.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  11. #36
    Senior Member Tehilah Ba'Aretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    372
    Thanked: 368
    Actually, the words for north, south, east and west are not consistent throughout the bible. Kedma or Kadima can be East but literally means forward, toward the rising sun. D'rome is south. North is ts'fone. Negba means after, opposite, against or west. Context is important. The concept of sunrise in the ancient Hebrew assumes that the people on the face of the planet are moving toward the sun.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tehilah Ba'Aretz For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015), Quest (07-31-2015)

  13. #37
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    Actually, the words for north, south, east and west are not consistent throughout the bible. Kedma or Kadima can be East but literally means forward, toward the rising sun. D'rome is south. North is ts'fone. Negba means after, opposite, against or west. Context is important. The concept of sunrise in the ancient Hebrew assumes that the people on the face of the planet are moving toward the sun.
    Elaborate on sunrise...it is saying WE rise toward in a sense?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  15. #38
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    That Isaiah 11:12 passage is interesting. You do know that it doesn't say, "four corners of the Earth" in Hebrew, right? The word interpreted as corners is the Hebrew word, (transliterated) kanafot. It is used to speak of the knotted fringes on a prayer shawl and also is more commonly translated, "wings." The knotted fringes remind us of God's authority enshrined in Torah (the teachings of Moses.) The wings speak of the four commonly used terms of direction, north, south, east and west.
    There, now that we have untwisted the passage...
    So essentially it means 'authority'?

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  17. #39
    Senior Member Tehilah Ba'Aretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    372
    Thanked: 368
    In Hebrew thinking, the rising of the sun is movement of the sun in a singular direction that is repeated every day. It isn't clear if they understood that the planet was spinning but it is obvious from some ancient writings that they knew the sun and the stars are in motion.
    And yes, the four corners may be properly understood as the completeness of God's authority over the earth.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tehilah Ba'Aretz For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  19. #40
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    I would like to move post #40-end of thread to a new thread....can anyone give me the steps to do that? I went into Moderation Tools but could not figure it out..

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Volkswagen CC warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.