Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How do you feel about prophecy?

  1. #1

    How do you feel about prophecy?

    I myself am getting bored reading prophetical words.

    Let me first tell a little about me and my love for the prophetic.
    As a child I did not grow up in a family of believers. But a man doing a kind of sunday school for unchurched kids found me. I was invited to a christian summer camp when I was 10 yeas old. In the chapel there was a big picture of a shephard carring a lamb and under it was written " My sheep hear my voice"
    I guess, many like this verse but for me this was scaring. I accepted Jesus as my saviour and deeply believed that the Bible was the true word of God.
    But I myself never heard the Lord taking to me. I thought it meant to be in a audible voice. This caused me to doubt if I was truely his sheep.
    I tried to push these thoughts away and felt so ashame of not being able to hear God, that I never talked with anybody about this issue. I thought that all other believers did hear him, it was only me missing it.

    Over many years I avoided thinking about this issue, till I first heard of the prophetic movement about 25or so years ago. Learning to hear God talking to me was such a wonderful and uplifting thing. I attended several conferences. One of the first speakers was Steve Thompson from Morning Star Ministries. I still love his book about "Everyone can prophesy". I read everything I could find, listen to so many sermons and teachings etc. I felt very blessed.

    And now, much later I feel so bored reading general prophecies
    What bothers me is

    - the flood of words people say to deliver a message from God. Many times I can not discern what is of God and what is from the person. There seems to be a lot of explaining about what God is saying. I would prefer to have the word of God clearly as so, and all else clearly separated

    - Most prophecies reflect the opinions of the one giving it.

    - If it is critical it is so often about the bad others, it does not include us, the true believers. Words are used to judge others

    - It is about the glory coming to the faithful believers(That is not a bad thing, but I am looking for different manifestations)

    - It is not about us loving more, serving more, it is about receiving more for ourselves.

    - It is often not specifically, like in words for specific times. I just read some today giving for a specific year. and to me they seem to be exchangeable.

    I am sad. I lost the love for the prophetic on the way.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tschau For This Useful Post:

    Barrie (05-15-2024), curly sue (05-08-2024), njtom (05-09-2024), Susan (05-08-2024)

  3. #2
    Don't let disappointment with the misuse rob you of the joy of the proper use.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bookman For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (05-08-2024), Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), FireBrand (05-08-2024), John (05-08-2024), Romans828 (05-08-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  5. #3
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,464
    Thanked: 14312
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Don't let disappointment with the misuse rob you of the joy of the proper use.
    1 Thessalonians 5
    20 Despise not prophesyings.

    21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
    _________________
    Look, as it were, through a telescope that will bring it up near to you; look into hell, and hear them groan; then turn the glass upwards and look at heaven, and see the saints there, in their white robes, with their harps in their hands, and hear them sing the song of redeeming love; and ask yourself--Is it possible, that I should prevail with God to elevate the sinner there? Do this, and if you are not a wicked man, and a stranger to God, you will soon have as much of the spirit of prayer as your body can sustain. -Charles Finney 'The Spirit of Prayer' from 'Lectures On Revivals of Religion'

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), Highly Favoured (05-08-2024), John (05-08-2024), Romans828 (05-08-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Highly Favoured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanked: 1710
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    1 Thessalonians 5
    20 Despise not prophesyings.

    21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
    There is the challenge - to hear it all, all of the prophecies mentioned above, and then some, and to be able to discern that which is good and hold fast to it. It does get tiring, and after the Trump prophecies after the 2020 election, I also zoned out of listening or paying attention to most prophecies.


    Oh, and I will add one more kind of prophecy - I don't know how to describe them, but to me they read like the horoscopes in the newspaper.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Highly Favoured For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (05-08-2024), Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  9. #5
    Senior Member Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Everett, Washington
    Posts
    1,780
    Thanked: 1914
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tschau View Post
    I myself am getting bored reading prophetical words.

    Let me first tell a little about me and my love for the prophetic.
    As a child I did not grow up in a family of believers. But a man doing a kind of sunday school for unchurched kids found me. I was invited to a christian summer camp when I was 10 yeas old. In the chapel there was a big picture of a shephard carring a lamb and under it was written " My sheep hear my voice"
    I guess, many like this verse but for me this was scaring. I accepted Jesus as my saviour and deeply believed that the Bible was the true word of God.
    But I myself never heard the Lord taking to me. I thought it meant to be in a audible voice. This caused me to doubt if I was truely his sheep.
    I tried to push these thoughts away and felt so ashame of not being able to hear God, that I never talked with anybody about this issue. I thought that all other believers did hear him, it was only me missing it.

    Over many years I avoided thinking about this issue, till I first heard of the prophetic movement about 25or so years ago. Learning to hear God talking to me was such a wonderful and uplifting thing. I attended several conferences. One of the first speakers was Steve Thompson from Morning Star Ministries. I still love his book about "Everyone can prophesy". I read everything I could find, listen to so many sermons and teachings etc. I felt very blessed.

    And now, much later I feel so bored reading general prophecies
    What bothers me is

    - the flood of words people say to deliver a message from God. Many times I can not discern what is of God and what is from the person. There seems to be a lot of explaining about what God is saying. I would prefer to have the word of God clearly as so, and all else clearly separated

    - Most prophecies reflect the opinions of the one giving it.

    - If it is critical it is so often about the bad others, it does not include us, the true believers. Words are used to judge others

    - It is about the glory coming to the faithful believers(That is not a bad thing, but I am looking for different manifestations)

    - It is not about us loving more, serving more, it is about receiving more for ourselves.

    - It is often not specifically, like in words for specific times. I just read some today giving for a specific year. and to me they seem to be exchangeable.

    I am sad. I lost the love for the prophetic on the way.
    Have you tried looking at the Elijah List?
    If you put God First, you have Him at Last.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smitty For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (05-08-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  11. #6
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,464
    Thanked: 14312
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Favoured View Post
    There is the challenge - to hear it all, all of the prophecies mentioned above, and then some, and to be able to discern that which is good and hold fast to it. It does get tiring, and after the Trump prophecies after the 2020 election, I also zoned out of listening or paying attention to most prophecies.


    Oh, and I will add one more kind of prophecy - I don't know how to describe them, but to me they read like the horoscopes in the newspaper.
    It's definitely hard not to become jaded about prophecy.
    _________________
    Look, as it were, through a telescope that will bring it up near to you; look into hell, and hear them groan; then turn the glass upwards and look at heaven, and see the saints there, in their white robes, with their harps in their hands, and hear them sing the song of redeeming love; and ask yourself--Is it possible, that I should prevail with God to elevate the sinner there? Do this, and if you are not a wicked man, and a stranger to God, you will soon have as much of the spirit of prayer as your body can sustain. -Charles Finney 'The Spirit of Prayer' from 'Lectures On Revivals of Religion'

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  13. #7
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,464
    Thanked: 14312
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Have you tried looking at the Elijah List?
    You ain't right.

    What was that one about the blue jeans and candy bar or whatever it was FB? lol.
    _________________
    Look, as it were, through a telescope that will bring it up near to you; look into hell, and hear them groan; then turn the glass upwards and look at heaven, and see the saints there, in their white robes, with their harps in their hands, and hear them sing the song of redeeming love; and ask yourself--Is it possible, that I should prevail with God to elevate the sinner there? Do this, and if you are not a wicked man, and a stranger to God, you will soon have as much of the spirit of prayer as your body can sustain. -Charles Finney 'The Spirit of Prayer' from 'Lectures On Revivals of Religion'

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024)

  15. #8
    My intro to prophecy started with the msog movement. Much of what I have heard was generic year after year. There was a great deal of personal prophecy that could have been spoken to anyone.

    About a year ago, I was in the doctor's waiting room. Nearby a lady about 75 yrs. old was talking spiritual matters to a man she didn't know. She told him that there was going to be a great revival sweeping the world at the end of 2023 and that millions would be saved.

    Election years always bring out a "variety" of prophecies. I remember a lot of mixture coming out during the Clinton years about who would win.

    One thing that seems to me to be a very "fleshly influenced" thing is teaching people to prophesy. What really speaks volumes is practicing on each other in a group setting. Really?

    The op pretty much says it all for me.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), tschau (05-08-2024)

  17. #9
    So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    8,044
    Thanked: 7710
    I believe a big chunk of the "prophetic" was hijacked a long time ago.

    How do you feel about prophecy?-cia-ms-jpeg

    The part that wasn't hijacked, genuine biblical prophecy is never tiresome, nor boring, it is as a hammer.

    Jeremiah 23:28-32

    The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the Lord. Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that steal my words every one from his neighbour. Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that use their tongues, and say, He saith. Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the Lord.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (05-27-2024), fuego (05-08-2024)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can avoid major, expensive repair costs with an extended service plan for your Scion. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in unexpected expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.