Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Alcohol in the NT - Should Christians Drink?

  1. #11
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    It is well known in Jewish teaching that the sacrifice at the end of fulfilling a vow is a sin offering. Paul writes that he needed to go to the temple and the reason is that he had finished a vow. The rabbinic records show that the sin offering was for failure to keep the Sabbath properly during the vow. And yes, I know, that isn't something Christians would know in this day and age.
    Had NO idea...thank you for that information...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    It is well known in Jewish teaching that the sacrifice at the end of fulfilling a vow is a sin offering. Paul writes that he needed to go to the temple and the reason is that he had finished a vow. The rabbinic records show that the sin offering was for failure to keep the Sabbath properly during the vow. And yes, I know, that isn't something Christians would know in this day and age.
    Paul was probably doing this as an order from the Holy Spirit to fulfill Divine destiny not laws. 1 Corinthians 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to LionHeart For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  5. #13
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,095
    Thanked: 4547
    This is why he underwent that purification rite :

    Acts 21:17 When we arrived at Jerusalem, the brothers and sisters received us warmly. 18 The next day Paul and the rest of us went to see James, and all the elders were present. 19 Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry.
    20 When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: "You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. 21 They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. 22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law. 25 As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."
    26 The next day Paul took the men and purified himself along with them. Then he went to the temple to give notice of the date when the days of purification would end and the offering would be made for each of them.

    The vow itself is mentioned three chapters earlier but it gives no reason for why he took this vow :

    Acts 18:18 Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  7. #14
    The vow and purification seems to be different in acts 18 and Acts 21.
    The advice from James and the elders failed as they wanted the Jews to see Paul keeping the law and making some sort of reconciliation with the Jews. When they saw Paul they nearly killed him and he was rescued by the Romans. I can't help thinking that God was not in this at all as even great apostles can get it wrong.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  9. #15
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,095
    Thanked: 4547
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    The vow and purification seems to be different in acts 18 and Acts 21.
    The advice from James and the elders failed as they wanted the Jews to see Paul keeping the law and making some sort of reconciliation with the Jews. When they saw Paul they nearly killed him and he was rescued by the Romans. I can't help thinking that God was not in this at all as even great apostles can get it wrong.
    According to Tehilah, the purification was due because the vow had not enabled him to keep the Sabbath. I'm guessing that Paul took that vow voluntarily but didn't plan on undergoing a purification rite since he wasn't under the law but the apostles in Jerusalem talked him into following up on his vow by doing that along with those other men, for the sake of good appearances. I don't think they were that interested in him keeping the law, just the appearances. They had already renounced the necessity of keeping the law at the council in Jerusalem 6 chapters earlier, in Acts 15.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015), Quest (08-03-2015)

  11. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    ... And yes, I know, that isn't something Christians would know in this day and age.
    Which is one of the reasons I love your posts...welcome back Tom! :)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

  13. #17
    Senior Member Tehilah Ba'Aretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    372
    Thanked: 368
    I think some of the posters on this topic do not understand the teachings of the Bible. Some keep using the term, "Law" as if it is something God hates. I would remind you that God is the one who gave us the teachings of Moses and preserved them for us until today. God loves the revelation He gave and expects each of us to cherish His teachings. Please do not continue to insult the word of God that was revealed to Moses. I am not saying that this is a matter of salvation but rather it is a simple matter of giving due respect for things that are holy.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tehilah Ba'Aretz For This Useful Post:

    A.J. (08-04-2015), Femme* (08-02-2015), FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), shalom2u (09-11-2015)

  15. #18
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,095
    Thanked: 4547
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    I think some of the posters on this topic do not understand the teachings of the Bible. Some keep using the term, "Law" as if it is something God hates. I would remind you that God is the one who gave us the teachings of Moses and preserved them for us until today. God loves the revelation He gave and expects each of us to cherish His teachings. Please do not continue to insult the word of God that was revealed to Moses. I am not saying that this is a matter of salvation but rather it is a simple matter of giving due respect for things that are holy.
    Not sure who you are referring to here.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  17. #19
    All the OT is inspired but there are many parts of Moses Law which are no longer applicable under the New covenant.
    For instance how many Jewish woman would practice monthly uncleanness rituals for 7 days

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  19. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    People who do not obey the Word of God are in need of repentance. Whatever God has instructed us to do, we are to obey. He did not say that tomato juice was a "a mocker and a strong drink that is raging." No, He said wine was, so stay away from it and stop trying to find an excuse to disobey the Word of God!
    So when Jesus turned water into wine he was guilty of encouraging them into disobedience. That makes Jesus as guilty as them. Maybe you should challenge Jesus to repent when you next meet him?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Drake For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can avoid expensive repair costs with an extended service plan for your Ford. We have a plan for evry model of Ford, including the Ford Fusion.