Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: 103-Year-Old Woman Banned from Her Life-Long Church

  1. #31
    Well.... We had a charismatic preacher come into my Methodist Church when I was a kid (I still love Rev. Cohen!) He slowly and respectfully introduced a more Charismatic service over time. He was respectful of the denomination that he was working in. There were some who never came around, but soon there were arms raised during praise and Bible studies where people were praying and singing in tongues. We all just peacefully coexisted and great things happened in that church. Not one granny was kicked out of church, but none of them acted up either except a few of the "old guard" would go to the council meetings to try and have him removed. He ended up being one of the longest servings Reverends in our church.

    I think that the denomination you are are preaching in should be respected. But, granny raising a ruckus during the service wasn't right either. Based on the very little bit of information in the article, there is a middle ground here and I think both parties totally overshot it.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015), papabrett (10-01-2015)

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    See original post for comment~AJ~
    IMHO
    Nikos, Nikos, Nikos
    Last edited by A.J.; 10-02-2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: removed slur

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    It has been my experience that many charismatics cause trouble before they leave. They have caused me a lot of trouble in churches I have pastored. Then when all is in disarray, they leave with a others causing the church harm and injury. This lady is like that. She may be getting coached from someone else. She thinks that her age gives her special privileges. She needs to apologize for the trouble she has caused and leave as quietly as possible.
    I would think that Charismatics and Pentecostals would get along great. Did I ever tell you about my visit to the local Pentecostal church? My co-worker invites us all to go to his church for an evening service. We were all "church people" so we agreed. I was the only Charismatic in the group, so I was at least prepared and even I was scared! LOL! (I was young), and these people were intense! The alter call involved everyone going to the alter, people would grab your hands and try to lead you up there. I wasn't going! (I was young) We all slipped out the backdoor at the end of the service, but one of us didn't get out, and we left her behind. (I was young) She raised a fit with us later over that! Like I might have mentioned, I was very young at the time. I hope now, I'd behave better. My coworker was ok with us. He thought it was kind of funny. I got to know some of the church members later on. They were really nice people, but I never went back to their church. ;)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  7. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    I don't think compromise was what Jesus was talking about so it may not be as simple as that...this lady could very well be fighting against what God is doing...one thing is obvious...she does not want CHANGE and change has already come...
    I didn't mention nor intend compromise at all.

    There are times you lay down your own desires, even your rights in God, for the benefit of another
    See avatar for signature

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to papabrett For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  9. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    It has been my experience that many charismatics cause trouble before they leave. They have caused me a lot of trouble in churches I have pastored.

    I don't find it surprising at all that you encountered a lot of that.
    See avatar for signature

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to papabrett For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  11. #36
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,210
    Thanked: 14067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by papabrett View Post
    I don't find it surprising at all that you encountered a lot of that.
    103-Year-Old Woman Banned from Her Life-Long Church-40_zpsd8072fb2-gif

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  13. #37
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I would think that Charismatics and Pentecostals would get along great. Did I ever tell you about my visit to the local Pentecostal church? My co-worker invites us all to go to his church for an evening service. We were all "church people" so we agreed. I was the only Charismatic in the group, so I was at least prepared and even I was scared! LOL! (I was young), and these people were intense! The alter call involved everyone going to the alter, people would grab your hands and try to lead you up there. I wasn't going! (I was young) We all slipped out the backdoor at the end of the service, but one of us didn't get out, and we left her behind. (I was young) She raised a fit with us later over that! Like I might have mentioned, I was very young at the time. I hope now, I'd behave better. My coworker was ok with us. He thought it was kind of funny. I got to know some of the church members later on. They were really nice people, but I never went back to their church. ;)
    Very clearly not the norm. Most pentecostals are very nice people and loving. There are extremists in most groups.
    Last edited by Nikos; 10-02-2015 at 06:17 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

  15. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Very clearly not the norm. Most pentecostals are very nice people and loving. There are extremists in most groups.
    Oh, I agree with you and I don't even think they were extremist, they were trust trying to include us and they were very nice, I said that in my post. It was just a little much for people that aren't used to it. It wasn't a criticism of the church at all, just a story from my past that makes me smile to remember it.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (10-04-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Be prepared for breakdowns with a comprehensive service contract for your Subaru. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in unexpected expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.