Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 188

Thread: Let's Discuss Denominations

  1. #1
    Frozen Chosen A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,983
    Thanked: 6020

    Let's Discuss Denominations

    This thread was created to un-hijack fuego's thread about being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

    ~A.J.~




    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    I received a full dose of Pentecostal baptism, according to Acts 2:4, 58 years ago.

    Also married my wife 58 years ago.

    Also preached my first sermon 58 yrs ago.

    And I belonged to a DENOMINATION!
    I belonged to a denomination when I rededeicated my life to Jesus and got filled with the Holy Spirit at a FGB meeting. The denomination I was in was being swept through by the Charsmatic movement, so my first real taste of being in the Glory was in a big blue and white striped tent with 2x6 raw board benches. Some of the most amazing times at those family camps!

    That denomination was the first in Canada to allow homosexuals in the pulpit.
    Last edited by A.J.; 09-14-2015 at 12:47 PM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), krystian (09-17-2015), Quest (09-14-2015)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I belonged to a denomination when I rededeicated my life to Jesus and got filled with the Holy Spirit at a FGB meeting. The denomination I was in was being swept through by the Charsmatic movement, so my first real taste of being in the Glory was in a big blue and white striped tent with 2x6 raw board benches. Some of the most amazing times at those family camps!

    That denomination was the first in Canada to allow homosexuals in the pulpit.
    That was a great testimony if you hadn't added the smear against denominations at the end.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  5. #3
    Frozen Chosen A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,983
    Thanked: 6020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    That was a great testimony if you hadn't added the smear against denominations at the end.
    It wasn't a smear. It's a fact. They also won't refer to God as He. God in this denomination has no gender. They've changed scripture and hymns to be politically correct. It's very tragic and sad but it's the truth of where they've gone.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

    FaithfulOne (09-14-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Lively Stone (09-13-2015), Quest (09-14-2015)

  7. #4
    Frozen Chosen A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,983
    Thanked: 6020
    It's "a" denomination I'm talking about, not all.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  9. #5
    Frozen Chosen A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,983
    Thanked: 6020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    That was a great testimony if you hadn't added the smear against denominations at the end.
    Why would you jump right to the conclusion that I was trying to smear denominations??? I have nothing against denominations. I would like to see more unity, but that's beside the point here.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Quest (09-14-2015)

  11. #6
    Frozen Chosen A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,983
    Thanked: 6020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    That was a great testimony if you hadn't added the smear against denominations at the end.
    fuego, forgive me for continuing this, but I felt this needed to be said.


    Nikos, I'm shocked and dismayed that you would jump to such a conclusion about me. This denomination I referred to used to have a church in just about every small town in Canada. It was the amalgamation of 3 distinct denominations to form one, the United Church of Canada.

    It's the denomination both my husband and I went to Sunday School at as children. It's the denomination we got married in and where we had our children baptized/dedicated in as small children. It's the church my husband's mother served in till she was completely unable to serve any longer and where her funeral service was held. My husbands 73yo sister still attends there, but I believe they are a Community Church now, as the denomination has gone too far into denying the God of the Bible.

    It's also the denomination I returned to when it was time to take our children to Sunday School. Praise God that there were still people there who loved Jesus with all their hearts and began to evangelize us. The minister and his wife were born again and Holy Spirit filled and there was LIFE in that church. I'll be forever grateful for them for all they did to lead me back and my husband to the Lord.

    We got swept up into the Charismatic Renewal and along with that, the knowledge that our denomination was going sideways fast. There were many, many Godly people who fought the liberalization of our denomination, but the leadership pushed forward with allowing homosexuals in the pulpit.

    Don't for one moment think that seeing that happen to a once strong and wonderful denomination didn't grieve us deeply. But for our children's sake, we felt we had to move on and God led us to a new work of a PAOC church in a nearby city that we've attended ever since, 24, almost 25 years.

    I would NEVER smear a denomination. God has a purpose for all of them, no matter what I disagree with or how strange I find them. But we must find a place of unity in the Body of Christ in order for the great harvest of the end times to happen. There is great power in unity. Great power ...... and that's what the churches in our city are working toward.

    That's all.

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (09-14-2015), FaithfulOne (09-14-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Lively Stone (09-14-2015), Nightsky (09-14-2015)

  13. #7
    Senior Member Lively Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Thanked: 267
    As a Canadian, I know exactly what you are saying, and am familiar with the sad direction of that denomination. Today I was at a reception for a friend's father's 90th birthday and met a lady I had not seen since I was a teenager, and she was relating the story of her own hardship at the same church in our home town. She and her husband kept to the preaching and teaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching the children there---until they could no longer stand for the godless secularism that invaded and permeated every aspect of that local church. Sometimes it is God's will for people to stay and fight, but for the most part, God wants people to be fed, and in places where there is spiritual starvation, getting out is what He wants...for the sake of unity and the promotion of truth, and for one's spiritual health and strength.

    God bless you!

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

    A.J. (09-14-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Quest (09-14-2015)

  15. #8
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
    As a Canadian, I know exactly what you are saying, and am familiar with the sad direction of that denomination. Today I was at a reception for a friend's father's 90th birthday and met a lady I had not seen since I was a teenager, and she was relating the story of her own hardship at the same church in our home town. She and her husband kept to the preaching and teaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching the children there---until they could no longer stand for the godless secularism that invaded and permeated every aspect of that local church. Sometimes it is God's will for people to stay and fight, but for the most part, God wants people to be fed, and in places where there is spiritual starvation, getting out is what He wants...for the sake of unity and the promotion of truth, and for one's spiritual health and strength.

    God bless you!
    When God says it's enough...it is..
    I was SAVED in one denomination..moved and filled Holy Spirit in another denomination...because I was seeking His fact face and truth above my 'affiliation' so He has led us to various 'gatherings' for a season.

    We later came to understand that denominations are not God's doing, they are man's..

    In the NT it was the church at Corinth and the church at Ephesus..so they were the gatherings of believers in each city...not splintered and divided belief systems. Paul warned against this kind of divisiveness. I have known many believers who can't come to deeper knowledge of truth because they submit to their denominational boundaries...which are boundaries made by men, not God.

    It's the same marketing ploy engaged in by two companies offering the same product but each trying to differentiate themselves as better for some reason for sales.


    I am in a denominational church now because the Lord led us there, not to affirm the denomination but to be a part of that BODY of believers..when we move to Alabama next year the church we seem to be led to is a totally different denomination.

    Paul said follow me as I follow Christ..my allegiance to a local gathering is as the Lord leads...so my allegiance is to HIM first and to them BECAUSE He led me there...When He leads me away I will go...

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Lively Stone (09-14-2015), Nightsky (09-14-2015), papabrett (09-16-2015)

  17. #9
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,475
    Thanked: 5785
    There is at least one mention of a grouping in the NT, apart from the obvious fact that there were Gentile churches that Paul oversaw and other churches, including with Jewish believers that he didn't.

    1 Cor 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

    "the churches of God" is a grouping of a churches but I'm not sure what it refers to. Could be the Jewish churches. It suggests a common leadership over those churches.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  19. #10
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    There is at least one mention of a grouping in the NT, apart from the obvious fact that there were Gentile churches that Paul oversaw and other churches, including with Jewish believers that he didn't.

    1 Cor 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

    "the churches of God" is a grouping of a churches but I'm not sure what it refers to. Could be the Jewish churches. It suggests a common leadership over those churches.
    I believe he is simply addressing the only scriptural distinction I see in the NT...location...That's why I don't believe any distinction such as Baptist, Methodist, or Pentecostal was ever intended by God and that the titles only serve the purpose of defining doctrinal differences God did not intend..

    I believe many in the body of Christ are losing the 'vision' of these divisions and refocusing on be as HE IS...sort of like a wonderful line in the movie, The Secret Life of Bees.

    Lily, when faced with the statement that August didn't tell the young man that Lily was white, responded, 'Maybe she didn't notice'.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can avoid expensive repair costs with an extended service plan for your Chrysler. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in surprise expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.