Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 188

Thread: Let's Discuss Denominations

  1. #21
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Of course he puts the structure in place if you ask Him to. He spent time in prayer before he chose every apostle. We always pray and are to be led of the Spirit as to whom is put into leadership positions. Yes, even leadership positions of a denomination. God is interested and wants to be a part of. That is if we allow Him. It is up to us to seek His face and HE will gladly, with Joy, show us the best for any work that is put together in His name and for His purpose.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    We as Christians MUST follow the leading of Holy Spirit and not judgements for or against 'denominations.' Years ago due to a bad experience we vowed to never attend another COG church...guess where God led us? Years ago I attended a Pentecostal Apostolic church and said I felt sure I could never be a part of it because of it's doctrines..we are now being led to one of those...
    deleted
    Last edited by FaithfulOne; 09-16-2015 at 10:09 PM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to FaithfulOne For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  5. #23
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Of course he puts the structure in place if you ask Him to. He spent time in prayer before he chose every apostle. We always pray and are to be led of the Spirit as to whom is put into leadership positions. Yes, even leadership positions of a denomination. God is interested and wants to be a part of. That is if we allow Him. It is up to us to seek His face and HE will gladly, with Joy, show us the best for any work that is put together in His name and for His purpose.
    Again, what you describe in the NT was not denominational organizations divided by theology..He is only interested in being a part of HIS church which has no denominational affiliation. His church is a nucleus worldwide disbursed among all types of gatherings and organizations...There are people win the KINGDOM doing KINGDOM work within these structures, yes, but the organizations were not put together by Him..they are just WALLS of division..

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    A.J. (09-15-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), papabrett (09-16-2015), wheeze (09-15-2015)

  7. #24
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    Pentecali will be happy to hear that!
    Yea, well I am very cautious...while we attend when we are in that city I don't know what God has in mind with that...legalistic bondage is so far off my radar it is totally ODD that He would send us there..

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  9. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Yea, well I am very cautious...while we attend when we are in that city I don't know what God has in mind with that...legalistic bondage is so far off my radar it is totally ODD that He would send us there..
    I was led for a season to a Oneness-type church a few years ago,and they weren't legalistic at all...they baptized in Jesus' name, but in other respects freedom

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to FaithfulOne For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  11. #26
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Of course he puts the structure in place if you ask Him to. He spent time in prayer before he chose every apostle. We always pray and are to be led of the Spirit as to whom is put into leadership positions. Yes, even leadership positions of a denomination. God is interested and wants to be a part of. That is if we allow Him. It is up to us to seek His face and HE will gladly, with Joy, show us the best for any work that is put together in His name and for His purpose.
    Let me put it this way...Let's say you have a young man, 17ish, who begins to feel the tug and call of Holy Spirit toward pastoring...that's Biblical, He calls some to be pastors, teachers..ect...now this young man is attending the local First Baptist church...so he ASSUMES that equals him being called by God to be a Baptist pastor...wrong...he has just closed the door..at some point Holy Spirit is scripture is going to challenge him...

    Organizations indoctrinate their 'members'. All of them do it. And if they have a flawed sense of allegiance to that organization that will solidify or seal them in.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  13. #27
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    I was led for a season to a Oneness-type church a few years ago,and they weren't legalistic at all...they baptized in Jesus' name, but in other respects freedom
    I have sensed a liberty there since the pastor has not preached at me despite the fact that I am the only woman there with very short hair and wears pants..:)

    He did say though that to serve on the praise team (something I can't do anyway) one would have to adhere to a strict dress code...so I am not sure if I will be allowed to serve without taking membership and committing to their rules..if so I will have to be in prayer about that..respect and conforming are not the same thing so I can respect their beliefs but won't be forced to embrace them and teach them..

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  15. #28
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Again, what you describe in the NT was not denominational organizations divided by theology..He is only interested in being a part of HIS church which has no denominational affiliation. His church is a nucleus worldwide disbursed among all types of gatherings and organizations...There are people win the KINGDOM doing KINGDOM work within these structures, yes, but the organizations were not put together by Him..they are just WALLS of division..
    God has His people everywhere. Denomination is just a word for organize. God is certainly not against organization. To say that God has nothing to do with organization is ignorance. There is as much division outside the organization as there is inside. I live in a town that has many small independent Pentecostal/charismatic churches and they are so divided that they cannot have any type of fellowship meetings. They can have a breakfast and even meet for prayer. But they want no part of each other when it comes to joint meetings. They are as bad as any denomination I have ever seen.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (09-16-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  17. #29
    Senior Member Pentecali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,969
    Thanked: 2519
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    Pentecali will be happy to hear that!
    Oh no you did not!

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pentecali For This Useful Post:

    FaithfulOne (09-16-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  19. #30
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,920
    Thanked: 3402
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    God has His people everywhere. Denomination is just a word for organize. God is certainly not against organization. To say that God has nothing to do with organization is ignorance. There is as much division outside the organization as there is inside. I live in a town that has many small independent Pentecostal/charismatic churches and they are so divided that they cannot have any type of fellowship meetings. They can have a breakfast and even meet for prayer. But they want no part of each other when it comes to joint meetings. They are as bad as any denomination I have ever seen.
    I am ingnorant then..I don't believe He started any of them and I don't believe He is leading them to stay divided.

    Like the example earlier..He calls His people to do works and then THEY sign on to some denomination..I don't believe He organized a single denomination.

    I don't agree that denominations are just a word for organize...tell a Baptist pastor you are visiting a Pentecostal church and see if his response is...'wow that's great'. I agree about independents..they subdivided...named themselves and splintered the body even more...

    Fact is most, if not all, denominations started out that way...a church, then a satellite church then planted another church and now they need a bishop to oversee their 'churches'.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), papabrett (09-16-2015), wheeze (09-16-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Honda Civic warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.