Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Windows 10 is spyware - Make sure to opt out of certain "features"

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Do you use a sun dial to tell time
    On her wrist.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  3. #22
    Mr C put Linux on dd's computer several years ago. It has worked out well for her. He is currently using XP and Linux both on his computer but is getting ready to dump xp on the pc hooked up to our tv. I'm using Mint 17 currently and have had no problems with it. He attends a group with guys who are more involved with using Linux professionally as I understand it.

    We use LibreOffice on our pcs. I think Office 97 was the last MS Office version we had.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), John (08-06-2015)

  5. #23
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanked: 3878
    Windows 10 Starts Charging For Missing Features

    1. Solitaire
    Yes, surprising as it might seem, Microsoft has announced it will actually charge users a monthly subscription to play Solitaire – a free staple of Windows releases since Windows 3.0 in 1990.
    Having been stripped out of Windows 10, Solitare is now found in the Windows Store and it is a freemium download. This means it can be used for free, but is ad supported and in this case the ads are highly invasive with mandatory 30 second video slots playing over the screen between every game. If you want to switch that off you must pay Microsoft $1.49 per month or $9.99 per year.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-charging/

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  7. #24
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanked: 3878
    DoNotSpy10 – Configure Windows 10 Privacy settings

    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/05/don...vacy-settings/




    Download link:

    http://pxc-coding.com/de/portfolio/donotspy10/

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  9. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Windows 10 Starts Charging For Missing Features

    1. Solitaire
    Yes, surprising as it might seem, Microsoft has announced it will actually charge users a monthly subscription to play Solitaire – a free staple of Windows releases since Windows 3.0 in 1990.
    Having been stripped out of Windows 10, Solitare is now found in the Windows Store and it is a freemium download. This means it can be used for free, but is ad supported and in this case the ads are highly invasive with mandatory 30 second video slots playing over the screen between every game. If you want to switch that off you must pay Microsoft $1.49 per month or $9.99 per year.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-charging/



    Just kidding, the last time I played solitaire was probably Windows 3.1. I remember at the end of the game, the cascading cards would fall so slowly and gracefully, when I updated the processor, it happened so fast I couldn't appreciate it anymore.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  11. #26
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanked: 3878
    It's an interesting business model, call it "free" and then charge for services.

    Want to watch a DVD movie on your Windows 10 computer using a first-party app? You won’t find one pre-installed, but Microsoft will gladly sell one to you — for $15.
    http://www.geek.com/microsoft/micros...ed-it-1630385/

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  13. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It's an interesting business model, call it "free" and then charge for services.



    http://www.geek.com/microsoft/micros...ed-it-1630385/
    It's more and more like the "apple model" Traditional out of the box software will be replaced by apps. I think most people are getting used to that and actually prefer it. There will probably be lots of "free apps" available, but the best ones will cost you.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  15. #28
    Senior Member Monkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 147
    You can read Paul Thurrott's take on privacy concerns here: https://www.petri.com/windows-10-pri...eption-matters

    Paul is a Microsoft watcher and journalist for whom I have a lot of respect. :)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkfish For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  17. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    linux is a lot better now, I get ya on some of the past issues but ubuntu pretty much runs out of the box.

    > Conspiracy theories?

    Did you read the MS terms of use? Are they not asking you to share everything?
    Been hearing a lot about Ubuntu. Will probably buy a cheap laptop and install it in a week or so. If it works out I may use Linux for the majority of my computers needs. I see that linux has also made its way onto the pads as well.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to victoryword For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  19. #30
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanked: 3878
    Quote Originally Posted by victoryword View Post
    Been hearing a lot about Ubuntu. Will probably buy a cheap laptop and install it in a week or so. If it works out I may use Linux for the majority of my computers needs. I see that linux has also made its way onto the pads as well.
    For a quick spin you can burn a livedCD or DVD and run your machine off of that without touching windows.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (08-07-2015), FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Ford Edge warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.