Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 157

Thread: More about tithing

  1. #11
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,477
    Thanked: 5786
    Quote Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
    As a New Covenant Christian, I understand from the word that the tithe is a pre-law matter, and so I pay God His tenth according to His desire for me to do so.
    Everything belongs to God, he has purchased us. Not just one tenth of our income. In fact, we are to be offered as living sacrifices on God's altar. There is nothing that should be held back there, whether the remaining 9 tithes or anything else.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (09-19-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Michelle (09-19-2015)

  3. #12
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    God says we rob Him if we don't give tithe and offerings. It's in the Bible, Malachi 3:8. "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ' In what way have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings."

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), Lively Stone (09-19-2015)

  5. #13
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,477
    Thanked: 5786
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    God says we rob Him if we don’t give tithe and offerings. It’s in the Bible, Malachi 3:8. "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘ In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings."
    I might add :

    Lev 11:7 and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
    8 Their flesh you shall not eat

    Penalties for disobeying :

    Deut 28:15 “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:
    16 “Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country.
    17 “Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
    18 “Cursed shall be the fruit of your body and the produce of your land, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.
    19 “Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
    20 “The Lord will send on you cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all that you set your hand to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, because of the wickedness of your doings in which you have forsaken Me

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  7. #14
    Senior Member Lively Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Thanked: 267
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Everything belongs to God, he has purchased us. Not just one tenth of our income. In fact, we are to be offered as living sacrifices on God's altar. There is nothing that should be held back there, whether the remaining 9 tithes or anything else.
    For sure, yet He does ask us to trust Him so completely that we would give Him one tenth of all that He owns that we earn. Holding back even that tenth is lack of trust. He is calling us to trust Him completely with our finances. We are called to be good stewards.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), krystian (09-20-2015)

  9. #15
    Senior Member Lively Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Thanked: 267
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    There is not much substance to the book. Not much meat but mostly milk. At least he believes in tithing.
    A man of substance and meat, Harold Hill's books are a good read and a good source of spiritual protein.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  11. #16
    Senior Member Lively Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Thanked: 267
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    God blessed the use of mandrakes as fertility treatment prior to the law though he hadn't commanded anyone to do so. God didn't ever command anyone to tithe prior to the law and there is no record of him blessing someone based on their tithing either. So there is more grounds for teaching Christians to use mandrakes based on that principle.
    You have no idea what God has directed people to do before the law. It was a practice before the law and continues to be a practice after the law---according to what the Spirit directs of the children of God.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  13. #17
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,209
    Thanked: 14065
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    There is not much substance to the book. Not much meat but mostly milk. At least he believes in tithing.
    And you point is...?

    I wasn't saved. It was instrumental in me seeing the 'real' Jesus and leading me to the Lord. I certainly have no complaints about it being 'not much meat but mostly milk.'

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (09-20-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  15. #18
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,477
    Thanked: 5786
    Quote Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
    You have no idea what God has directed people to do before the law. It was a practice before the law and continues to be a practice after the law---according to what the Spirit directs of the children of God.
    How about we go with the testimony of scripture instead of imagining something ? There is no command given by God to tithe before the law, whether of one's income or of the plunder gathered after winning a war, as Abraham did according to general Arab custom at that time.

    If you want to give ten percent of your income to your local church, or more than ten percent, then please do so. This is about what can be commanded based on scripture, which is a different matter.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (09-20-2015), FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  17. #19
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    And you point is...?

    I wasn't saved. It was instrumental in me seeing the 'real' Jesus and leading me to the Lord. I certainly have no complaints about it being 'not much meat but mostly milk.'
    God uses many things to turn us to Him. I did not mean anything regards your experience. I have read the book and just found it so basic and elementary. Not that it would not be an instrument used to turn someone to Jesus.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015)

  19. #20
    Senior Member Nikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,927
    Thanked: 7617
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    How about we go with the testimony of scripture instead of imagining something ? There is no command given by God to tithe before the law, whether of one's income or of the plunder gathered after winning a war, as Abraham did according to general Arab custom at that time.

    If you want to give ten percent of your income to your local church, or more than ten percent, then please do so. This is about what can be commanded based on scripture, which is a different matter.
    It is not commanded. But to tithe is obeying what Jesus said was good to do. No not commanded. It does not save you in any way except that it means there is an attitude toward obeying Christ when He said it is good. In the passage in Matthew, He was stating that there are things more important than tithing. So it is not the main message of the Gospel. But I want to be 100% obedient to His Will. And I believe it is His Will to tithe.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-20-2015), krystian (09-20-2015), Lively Stone (09-20-2015), Quest (10-06-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Hyundai Elantra warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.