Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Did Jesus delay coming to heal Lazarus so he could die?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    ...An added byproduct of his delay was that Lazarus stayed in his grave sufficiently long that the resurrection miracle became undeniable, the chances of an apparently dead person reviving grow much slimmer as the days pass and the body starts to decompose.
    Right, there was a superstition about that at the time:

    According to a Jewish belief, the soul stays near the body for three days after a person's death: "For three days the soul hovers over the grave, contemplating a return to the body, but once it sees that the facial color has faded, it goes away, never to return" (Gen. Rab. 50:10). That is, after 3 days from death the body is so decomposed that the face is not recognisable anymore, see article. The point here is not whether or not this idea of 3 days is true or not, the point is that they believed so...

    http://www.albatrus.org/english/potp...jesus_wept.htm

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    Colonel (08-02-2015), FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), Quest (08-02-2015)

  3. #12
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,869
    Thanked: 3348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    In general, Jesus wasn't able attend personally to every sick person or dead person in all of Israel anyway, he had to make some choices about where to be and when. Maybe he had other things to do in the meantime.
    Jesus did not have to go to Bethany...this event was in the plan of God to play out exactly as God intended. I agree with Cardinal TT in the respect that God's plans and intent fo His Kingdom sometimes don't fit our carnal desires..He sent Paul to Jerusalem knowing the events that would unfold...it did not surprise Him and Paul understood it was to accomplish something in the Kingdom work which was all that mattered..

    It's a concept that has been misplaced in some of the recent teachings of happiness and prosperity and happy ending...

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), Romans828 (08-02-2015)

  5. #13
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,093
    Thanked: 5500
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Jesus did not have to go to Bethany...this event was in the plan of God to play out exactly as God intended. I agree with Cardinal TT in the respect that God's plans and intent fo His Kingdom sometimes don't fit our carnal desires..He sent Paul to Jerusalem knowing the events that would unfold...it did not surprise Him and Paul understood it was to accomplish something in the Kingdom work which was all that mattered..

    It's a concept that has been misplaced in some of the recent teachings of happiness and prosperity and happy ending...
    There's a clear difference between sickness and persecution in the Bible. We have a provision for healing and divine health but not a provision for being exempt from persecution. Note that Lazarus would have been two days dead if Jesus had departed immediately, this was a resurrection from the dead regardless and not a matter of travelling to somewhere to heal someone.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  7. #14
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,869
    Thanked: 3348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    There's a clear difference between sickness and persecution in the Bible. We have a provision for healing and divine health but not a provision for being exempt from persecution. Note that Lazarus would have been two days dead if Jesus had departed immediately, this was a resurrection from the dead regardless and not a matter of travelling to somewhere to heal someone.
    I did not realize we were talking about sickness..I was responding to Cardinal speaking of the grieving of the family..

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

  9. #15
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,093
    Thanked: 5500
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    I did not realize we were talking about sickness..I was responding to Cardinal speaking of the grieving of the family..
    Again, there is a provision for families being protected against sickness, premature death etc but not for being protected against persecution, which is what your example with Paul related.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •