Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas IDEAS

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Yes, in my research there were ideas about creating zip lock bags of needful items like a pair of socks and some tooth past and tooth brush and a snack bar and keep them in the car for those moments when you see a homeless person on the side of the road....
    A girl at our church had the same idea. We all went to the church and created give away bags with some food like granola bars, and jerky, and other items that a homeless person might need.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

krystian (11-08-2015)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post
    A girl at our church had the same idea. We all went to the church and created give away bags with some food like granola bars, and jerky, and other items that a homeless person might need.
    I just realized I did not complete that post...'and keep it in your car so when you encounter a homeless person you have something to give besides money and won't just pass them by because money is a bad idea...'

Is it one office, what does it look like space wise?

Go to Michael's craft stores, and you can find some low cost puff paint. Look at Walmart for bulk white T-shirts. You can "draw" pictures, messages with the puff paint and get various sizes.

Also if you have some one who can cut some plywood, ask then to sand the plywood (take off the edges so to speak) and stain (stain is pretty cheap) these pieces and then paste a wonderful message onto the plywood. cut the plywood into small 4 inch squares. If you have the funds, get that stuff you pour over the paper etc., to make it shinny. A simple message, let God speak to your heart. You can get some really pretty paper and print them on the printer.

Go to the Good Will/Salvation Army stores, and see if you can find cheap cars, or dolls. Maybe even some used books too. Just something small without spending funds. I would imagine that it would be appreciated no matter where it came from.

Granted the zip lock bags are great and helpful and very much needed. But sometimes kids need something that is just theirs. Something they can hold, and say it's mine. Something they can keep. Maybe you can include some of the other ideas into the bags.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you and this ministry that your boss is doing

Blessings to you!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:

krystian (11-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    ...creating 'decorations' that would double as gifts for maybe the homeless or children at the children's hospital...
    I'm loving that idea and all the replies so far. Matter of fact its been on my mind and today while I was at a bakery someone came in to pick up donated day old bread that an organization distributes to the homeless every Sunday in downtown Detroit.

A conversation developed and this thread was mentioned, seems that at least up North for this time of year some of the most needed items are socks, gloves, hats and scarves. One idea I had was that maybe scarves could be used as garland to decorate the office Christmas tree?

The saleslady even joined in with some ideas too when it was mentioned that plastic grocery bags are needed too...to hold homeless folks' possessions and apparently many use them to line the inside of their shoes to keep rain and snow out. She suggested making a wreath of those plastic bags using a rounded out coat hanger.

There were more ideas given but I have to decipher them as I scribbled them down a small piece of paper I found in my purse.

I did however relay the link to this thread so maybe if they check it out they'll add more thoughts and ideas too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Quest (11-09-2015)

There are some great ideas here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindaeverchanging View Post
    Is it one office, what does it look like space wise?
    We are a studio with 9 cubicles and 2 offices on each side...right and left.

Blog Entries
    We could roll up socks and decorate and hang them like Christmas balls..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I'm loving that idea and all the replies so far. Matter of fact its been on my mind and today while I was at a bakery someone came in to pick up donated day old bread that an organization distributes to the homeless every Sunday in downtown Detroit.

A conversation developed and this thread was mentioned, seems that at least up North for this time of year some of the most needed items are socks, gloves, hats and scarves. One idea I had was that maybe scarves could be used as garland to decorate the office Christmas tree?

The saleslady even joined in with some ideas too when it was mentioned that plastic grocery bags are needed too...to hold homeless folks' possessions and apparently many use them to line the inside of their shoes to keep rain and snow out. She suggested making a wreath of those plastic bags using a rounded out coat hanger.

There were more ideas given but I have to decipher them as I scribbled them down a small piece of paper I found in my purse.

I did however relay the link to this thread so maybe if they check it out they'll add more thoughts and ideas too.
    Hmmmm great idea....who would have thought grocer bags would be helpful but that makes sense...we have just had rain galore now for a month and the lady in our office that does ministry on Sunday talked about how they were wet and all their STUFF was wet..those things they carry with them all the time to keep it from getting stolen..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
    Go to Michael's craft stores, and you can find some low cost puff paint. Look at Walmart for bulk white T-shirts. You can "draw" pictures, messages with the puff paint and get various sizes.

Also if you have some one who can cut some plywood, ask then to sand the plywood (take off the edges so to speak) and stain (stain is pretty cheap) these pieces and then paste a wonderful message onto the plywood. cut the plywood into small 4 inch squares. If you have the funds, get that stuff you pour over the paper etc., to make it shinny. A simple message, let God speak to your heart. You can get some really pretty paper and print them on the printer.

Go to the Good Will/Salvation Army stores, and see if you can find cheap cars, or dolls. Maybe even some used books too. Just something small without spending funds. I would imagine that it would be appreciated no matter where it came from.

Granted the zip lock bags are great and helpful and very much needed. But sometimes kids need something that is just theirs. Something they can hold, and say it's mine. Something they can keep. Maybe you can include some of the other ideas into the bags.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you and this ministry that your boss is doing

Blessings to you!!
    Good ideas...thank you!