Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Pastor commits suicide

I'm pretty sure that Greg Laurie came from Pastor Chuck Smith's Calvary Chapel church back in the day.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019), FireBrand (09-11-2019), Pentecali (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Greg Laurie came from Pastor Chuck Smith's Calvary Chapel church back in the day.
    Trudie (Femme) would know for sure. Does she still post here?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FaithfulOne For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    From what I know, Greg is not Pente/Charis. I would like to hear differently.
    He's not Charismatic/Pentecostal.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019), Pentecali (09-12-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    I don’t believe she post here on the forum. Perhaps she’s taking a break, IDK.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pentecali For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I remember my dad use to talk about the Jesus movement a lot because it made a huge impact here. I may not have this 100% accurate, but it seemed like there were 2 big groups that came out of this which was Calvary Chapel and the Vineyard. CC was more Baptist with acoustic guitar music, and vineyard was more charismatic. Some of it may have spilled over into four square (Jack .. can’t remember last name) Melodyland and others. Rick Warren is more CC style. Correct me if I’m wrong. I do know a lot of traditional churches of all stripes wanted nothing to do with the Hippies.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pentecali For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019), FaithfulOne (09-12-2019)

Greg joined the Southern Baptists recently.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookman For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    lol.. yes, she was just off doing Trudie things getting ready for the start of the BSF year.

Greg Laurie is part of the Calvary Chapel family and no, they are not Charismatic.

Chuck Smith wasn't either.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Femme* For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019), FaithfulOne (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Femme* View Post
    lol.. yes, she was just off doing Trudie things getting ready for the start of the BSF year.

Greg Laurie is part of the Calvary Chapel family and no, they are not Charismatic.

::Waving at Trudie::

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FaithfulOne For This Useful Post:

Femme* (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Femme* View Post

Pastor Chuck Smith was a Church Of The Foursquare Gospel pastor for many years.He left and and started Calvary Chapel. They were charismatic in their practices and some large Calvary Chapels still practice the charismatic gifts in public services. Many do not. For a while it was permitted in afterglows to be prayed for to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. But then somewhere the disconnect from the Baptism in the Holy Spirit and the Gifts happened. But their doctrinal stand still allows for the Gifts, at least on paper. They seem to want a return to a balanced ministry of the supernatural gifts but do not know where to start?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LionHeart For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019), Pentecali (09-13-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LionHeart View Post
    Pastor Chuck Smith was a Church Of The Foursquare Gospel pastor for many years.He left and and started Calvary Chapel. They were charismatic in their practices and some large Calvary Chapels still practice the charismatic gifts in public services. Many do not. For a while it was permitted in afterglows to be prayed for to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. But then somewhere the disconnect from the Baptism in the Holy Spirit and the Gifts happened. But their doctrinal stand still allows for the Gifts, at least on paper. They seem to want a return to a balanced ministry of the supernatural gifts but do not know where to start?
    I may be wrong on some of this, but I think Hank Hannagraph was a big influence on this especially in the SoCal scene. The Vineyard Church was in the area too and was somehow very connected to the Toronto revival (I can’t remember the details) and Hank capitalized only on the negative craziness that normally accompanies a revival. I think he eventually joined the Episcopal Church or similar.
    Last edited by Pentecali; 09-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pentecali For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-13-2019)