Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Bentley...

Todd gave in to the dangerous “3 G’s”: Glory, Gold, Girls. He couldnt keep his hands off them. In looking back on 2008 in Lakeland, I’m privileged and honored to have went. I did not defend Todd’s mannerisms but rather went there to see what God was doing. It was powerful. If another move of God broke out, I would be watching from a distance and praying about attending like with the other locations. When the Spirit moved off Pensacola, I grieved and moved on in the powerful impartation I received. When Todd fell in late summer 2008, I drove off in my jeep and wept, crying out to God.

Sometimes I get homesick for Heaven.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-26-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019), kingskid (09-02-2019), Smitty (09-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Todd gave in to the dangerous “3 G’s”: Glory, Gold, Girls. He couldnt keep his hands off them. In looking back on 2008 in Lakeland, I’m privileged and honored to have went. I did not defend Todd’s mannerisms but rather went there to see what God was doing. It was powerful. If another move of God broke out, I would be watching from a distance and praying about attending like with the other locations. When the Spirit moved off Pensacola, I grieved and moved on in the powerful impartation I received. When Todd fell in late summer 2008, I drove off in my jeep and wept, crying out to God.

Sometimes I get homesick for Heaven.
    Falling to temptation is one thing. According to the reports he has become a seducer of the brethren. That's a lot more than the usual "I grabbed what came my way".

When it Comes to Dealing with Scandals, the Church Must Do Better Than the National Enquirer
    By Michael Brown
    Published on August 26, 2019
    https://stream.org/comes-dealing-sca...onal-enquirer/

The internet is burning up with news of yet another scandal in the church, this time with serious accusations against Charismatic evangelist Todd Bentley. What is God saying to His people through this current crisis?

Regarding Todd's situation, I have no specific comment, since: 1) I have not supported him being in ministry since his divorce and remarriage in 2008, and I am on public record to that effect. 2) I have no connection of any kind to Todd and his ministry. (I also disagreed publicly with the way other leaders handled things in Lakeland, where Todd became prominent.)

But, after prayer and reflection, I do believe there are important things to share that are applicable beyond this current, alleged scandal....

...A Poor Job of Self-Policing

First, this is not the time to throw stones at Charismatics, as some non-charismatic critics have been quick to do. To be sure, we Charismatics have done a very poor job of self-policing, which is a major reason I wrote the book Playing with Holy Fire. And, to be sure, we have had more than our share of sexual scandals. ...

...God Gives Us Opportunities to Repent Before Allowing Us to be Exposed

Second, when we fail to address sin in private, it will explode publicly....

...Rallying to Protect Reputation of Abusive Church Leader is Totally Unbiblical

Third, it is absolutely inexcusable and totally unbiblical for church leaders to put the reputation of an abusive leader before the real needs of the victims of that abuser, along with the needs of those will be abused should that leader stay in position. This is one of the biggest reasons for outrage in the current situation as well as in similar situations that have been well-documented in recent years....

...Excusing Sin in Church Leaders Makes Mockery of God's High Standards

Fourth, Church leaders are expected to live differently. God expects it and the church expects it. That doesn't mean we're perfect, but we are called to be above reproach, to be disciplined, godly, and with a good reputation with outsiders (see 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9)....

...Don't Use the Internet Like the World Does, to Attack

Fifth, the internet is not the place to settle private scores with leaders or bring accusations about the personal lives of others. When we do so, we open up a Pandora's box where disgruntled believers can say anything about anyone, damaging (or even destroying) the lives of good men and women. (It is equally wrong when we spread unverified accusations against non-believers.)...

...Make Things Right Now...

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity (futility) of their mind, having the understanding darkened...
    (Ephesians 4:17-18)

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly...
    (Psalm 1)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GodismyJudge For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-26-2019), Colonel (08-26-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019), kingskid (09-02-2019)

...Make Things Right Now...

If you have legitimate concerns about a ministry or leader (for example, involving sexual or financial scandals) make every effort to find a solid, mature leader willing to take up the cause. It may take time, but it is far better to take that time than to turn the internet into the world’s largest Christian gossip network. What a terrible shame.

And if you know there are laws being broken and people actually being abused or assaulted, then by all means, go quickly to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. We cannot play games with people’s lives.

As a leader in the Body, I understand that to whom much is given, much will be required. Because of that, I walk in the fear of the Lord, knowing that one day I will stand before God and give account (Romans 14:12).

All the more reason, then, that we get things right today, while we still have breath. The mercy of God is not to be trivialized.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-26-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019), GodismyJudge (08-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Falling to temptation is one thing. According to the reports he has become a seducer of the brethren. That's a lot more than the usual "I grabbed what came my way".
    You are looking at it from the surface. What I mentioned is a heart flaw that is like leaven. Those 3 were what he refused to forsake. If Bentley had forsook the lust of the 3, he could have been restored. Wickedness entered his heart at those levels.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-26-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    You are looking at it from the surface. What I mentioned is a heart flaw that is like leaven. Those 3 were what he refused to forsake. If Bentley had forsook the lust of the 3, he could have been restored. Wickedness entered his heart at those levels.
    To the contrary I think that how active someone is in such things says a lot about the heart condition. Offering to pay people for sex, venturing to show people nude images of his wife, seeking swingers to swap partners with etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Fuego asked about demonic healing in the Bible. Simon the sorceror is interesting in that context.

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery in the city and astonished the people of Samaria, claiming that he was someone great, 10 to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the great power of God.” 11 And they heeded him because he had astonished them with his sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.

It doesn't say what his astonishing sorceries amounted to. It could be that the NT writers didn't want to promote the works of the devil by discussing them in detail except when they were unambiguously negative. The NT mentions signs and wonders and a fortune teller.

18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

Why didn't Simon offer them money for the power to heal people ? Why instead offer them money to be able to impart the Holy Spirit ?

History tells us that the pagan religions at that time were into healing. The Muslims that came later were not but there are mystics that are into faith healing that are found under the umbrella of Islam.
    I already considered him. You can bloviate all you want, but the point is you haven't provided any definitive proof. Just you speculating on what some verses COULD mean.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

kingskid (09-02-2019)

I don't know if I missed it before but I just read that the whole report from Stephen Powell to Rick Joyner and other leadership is 30 pages!

This isn't just a rumor or two.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I don't know if I missed it before but I just read that the whole report from Stephen Powell to Rick Joyner and other leadership is 30 pages!

This isn't just a rumor or two.
    The best part of this is the Body being the Body. Todd needs to humble himself, break contact with ministry, shut up and listen. Oh, and find a job somewhere.

“It is far easier to lose the anointing than to get it back again.”
    -Richard Dortsch (Bakker’s righthand man)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-26-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I already considered him. You can bloviate all you want, but the point is you haven't provided any definitive proof. Just you speculating on what some versed COULD mean.
    Though I don't approve of the term you used to describe my posts, that is true. But as I pointed out, I don't speculate on what is going on out there in the real world. The servants of Satan are into healing and they do manage to get people healed. That doesn't mean that they are better off in total or in the long run but it's still a fact even if someone's theology says that that shouldn't happen.