Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: They are saying

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm sure that many responded to the book by entering into a closer relationship with the Lord. I also remember a strong wave in the church I was attending at the time of people chasing manifestations. Through that experience I developed a bit of a theological theory that ran along along the lines of doubting Thomas. Who has more faith? Those who have seen, felt, experienced tangible touchs or those who simply believe. It occurred to me that believers were comparing one another based on the intensity or quality of their experiences while other believers were feeling left out, less "spiritual". Perhaps the ones who were "left out" were in fact the stronger of the brethren in regards to faith.

John 20:29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    I had run into a group that had vocally said “we have the Holy Spirit and fresh revelation, we dont need this (waving a bible)”. Tenney probably didnt intend or expect to stir up THAT kind of response. Yet, he writes this:

“A true God chaser is not happy with just past truth; he must have present truth. God chasers don’t want to just study from the moldy pages of what God has done; they’re anxious to see what God is doing.”

I have seen what that one quote did to the unrestrained.
    All I can say is, Wow. I had no idea that book was interpreted like that.

Maybe that’s why Tenney all but disappeared after he wrote it... I know there was a second book but I remember not getting as much out of it as the first one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (08-23-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    All I can say is, Wow. I had no idea that book was interpreted like that.

Maybe that’s why Tenney all but disappeared after he wrote it... I know there was a second book but I remember not getting as much out of it as the first one.
    We posted at the same time. You may have missed my post to you above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Same here. Loved the book.

You've got to have the Word and the Spirit. I understand what some are saying because I think we've all been pounded by the 'Word only' people. I call it being so hard-nosed on the Word that you miss the Spirit. Such as baptists who don't believe in speaking in tongues and use the Bible to prove it. The promise of the Father wasn't the Bible, it was the Spirit of God. They have to be balanced. You don't throw either away. You may have some that have thrown the Bible away so to speak, but there's more, many more out there that's thrown the Spirit away. They treat the things of the Spirit the same way the pharisees treated Jesus. So there are two sides to this.

So it's kinda funny to me when we talking about people throwing the Bible away when it's not even close to the ones that use the Bible to prove that the Spirit doesn't even move today for the most part, at least in anything but salvation.

Thank you very much. :-)

Tenney wrote the book following his leaving the UPC which if I recall, he took criticism for. There was a great amount of discontent in the Kingdom with people “getting wrecked for regular church” during Toronto and Bville revivals burning. God Chaser’s was seemingly written just for them. I am one of them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-24-2019)