Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They are saying

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Is it believers trying to be super spiritual and pretending they have come up with a new sound to impress others?
    Frequencies can and do have effect on humans, they are as you mentioned earlier more along the line of scientifically observed, they can be created. Some have spiritualized the phenomenon, the "deeper things" so to speak.

I believe frequencies probably have the potential to heal, soothe, etc, etc but maybe that will fall into medicine some day.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Frequencies can and do have effect on humans, they are as you mentioned earlier more along the line of scientifically observed, they can be created. Some have spiritualized the phenomenon, the "deeper things" so to speak.

I believe frequencies probably have the potential to heal, soothe, etc, etc but maybe that will fall into medicine some day.
    That sounds similar to acupuncture which seems to work to some degree. That doesn't make acupuncture spiritual of course and much less something to be integrated into the Christian religion itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Catchy talked about that several years ago, do a search. I suppose the "stream" she was part of was fairly sound otherwise so that made me really concerned.
    I recall some discussions with her here but being it was 10+years ago my memory isnt too clear. I can relate from those discussions I had input on were of the things Ray Hughes and Bobby Connor spoke of.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (08-22-2019)

What we are seeing today and more specific to bro Mario’s word above on the modern church being led by feelings above the Scriptures commands and directives, this stuff had a large “shoving off” from the moorings of mainstream when Tommy Tenney wrote “The God Chasers”. I saw it firsthand. The newly touched in revival folk would say “we dont need these dusty old pages, we have the Holy Spirit”. Talk about deception.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-22-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    What we are seeing today and more specific to bro Mario’s word above on the modern church being led by feelings above the Scriptures commands and directives, this stuff had a large “shoving off” from the moorings of mainstream when Tommy Tenney wrote “The God Chasers”. I saw it firsthand. The newly touched in revival folk would say “we dont need these dusty old pages, we have the Holy Spirit”. Talk about deception.
    The Holy Spirit always drives you to those "dusty old pages". More Him, more Word.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

Colonel (08-22-2019), curly sue (08-22-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-22-2019), FireBrand (08-22-2019)

They forget that the Holy Spirit is the Author of scripture. He used various men as His instruments. The Word and the Spirit will never disagree.

This always reminds me of the passage in the OT where a prophet is sent to give a word and then God tells him not to stop anywhere or to even eat, but to get out of that region. Then along comes another "prophet" and convinces him that "God changed His mind, you can come eat at my house". In the end he gets shredded by a lion because of his disobedience to God.

Our enemy certainly does stroll about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-22-2019), FireBrand (08-22-2019), John (08-22-2019), Romans828 (08-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    I was a fairly new Christian when I read that book and all I really remember about it is that it drove me to seek a deeper relationship with God. No one in my circle of friends/influence tossed the Bible aside. I thought it inspired people to seek Him more.

I’m actually shocked by what you’re saying.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I was a fairly new Christian when I read that book and all I really remember about it is that it drove me to seek a deeper relationship with God. No one in my circle of friends/influence tossed the Bible aside. I thought it inspired people to seek Him more.

I'm sure that many responded to the book by entering into a closer relationship with the Lord. I also remember a strong wave in the church I was attending at the time of people chasing manifestations. Through that experience I developed a bit of a theological theory that ran along along the lines of doubting Thomas. Who has more faith? Those who have seen, felt, experienced tangible touchs or those who simply believe. It occurred to me that believers were comparing one another based on the intensity or quality of their experiences while other believers were feeling left out, less "spiritual". Perhaps the ones who were "left out" were in fact the stronger of the brethren in regards to faith.

John 20:29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-23-2019), FireBrand (08-23-2019)

I had run into a group that had vocally said “we have the Holy Spirit and fresh revelation, we dont need this (waving a bible)”. Tenney probably didnt intend or expect to stir up THAT kind of response. Yet, he writes this:

“A true God chaser is not happy with just past truth; he must have present truth. God chasers don’t want to just study from the moldy pages of what God has done; they’re anxious to see what God is doing.”

I have seen what that one quote did to the unrestrained.

Blog Entries
    Same here. Loved the book.

You've got to have the Word and the Spirit. I understand what some are saying because I think we've all been pounded by the 'Word only' people. I call it being so hard-nosed on the Word that you miss the Spirit. Such as baptists who don't believe in speaking in tongues and use the Bible to prove it. The promise of the Father wasn't the Bible, it was the Spirit of God. They have to be balanced. You don't throw either away. You may have some that have thrown the Bible away so to speak, but there's more, many more out there that's thrown the Spirit away. They treat the things of the Spirit the same way the pharisees treated Jesus. So there are two sides to this.

So it's kinda funny to me when we talking about people throwing the Bible away when it's not even close to the ones that use the Bible to prove that the Spirit doesn't even move today for the most part, at least in anything but salvation.