Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: The God of Conservative/Evangelicals is a hypocrite

  1. #1

    The God of Conservative/Evangelicals is a hypocrite

    Something I read recently and is being promoted by some believers who reject hell
    Basically they say...according to mainstream Christianity God expects us to forgive but why doesn't he forgive those who don't believe in him

    They then accuse the mainstream/conservative/evangelicals of making up a God that contradicts himself therefore is a hypocrite

    Since God is love and not a hypocrite he must then totally forgive everyone regardless of what they believe.

    Hence their version of God is compatible with his character and the mainstream version is false.

    I hope I've explained that clearly


    How would you respond to their argument?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Something I read recently and is being promoted by some believers who reject hell
    Basically they say...according to mainstream Christianity God expects us to forgive but why doesn't he forgive those who don't believe in him

    They then accuse the mainstream/conservative/evangelicals of making up a God that contradicts himself therefore is a hypocrite

    Since God is love and not a hypocrite he must then totally forgive everyone regardless of what they believe.

    Hence their version of God is compatible with his character and the mainstream version is false.

    I hope I've explained that clearly


    How would you respond to their argument?
    The most simplistic answer would be, "how would they receive forgiveness if they never ask for it?"

  3. #3
    The forgiveness issue is a strawman. I would not argue with them on the ground of their choosing. Hell is the real issue. I would begin with the Lake of Fire. (Rev20:15)



    15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (10-13-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-19-2019)

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    The most simplistic answer would be, "how would they receive forgiveness if they never ask for it?"
    Their answer would be....God expects us to forgive others when they hurt us even if they don't apologise so why wouldn't he do likewise

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (08-19-2019)

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    The forgiveness issue is a strawman
    Definitely

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
    They call any Christian who believes that as promoting a monster God

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (08-19-2019)

  10. #7
    Senior Member Ezekiel 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanked: 1528
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Their answer would be....God expects us to forgive others when they hurt us even if they don't apologise so why wouldn't he do likewise
    They have been provided with forgiveness, but it is up to them to accept that forgiveness.


    If they do not acknowledge that they have sinned and that a Just God must do something about that sin, then they do not even have a glimmer of hope for salvation.

    If they do not realize that they are slaves of sin and that no slave can dwell in the House forever and that only Jesus Christ can set them free from that sin then they will never receive that freedom.

    Finally, if Hell is not real then Jesus died in vain. Ask them why He paid the price for their sins if those sins do not condemn them. They send themselves to Hell.



  11. #8
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,113
    Thanked: 4568
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Their answer would be....God expects us to forgive others when they hurt us even if they don't apologise so why wouldn't he do likewise
    Not as a court of law. We would still sentence criminals just like God does because he has the function of being the highest judge. The question is if someone will receive an amnesty and under which circumstances.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (08-19-2019)

  13. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Not as a court of law. We would still sentence criminals just like God does because he has the function of being the highest judge..

    They will get offended by calling humans criminals and God a judge

    It is a terrible false doctrine they have embraced

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (10-03-2019)

  15. #10
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    12,113
    Thanked: 4568
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    They will get offended by calling humans criminals and God a judge

    It is a terrible false doctrine they have embraced
    In that case there is no point in discussing it.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (10-13-2019), Ezekiel 33 (10-03-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can avoid major, expensive repair costs with an extended service plan for your Mercury. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in unexpected expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.