Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highly Popular Hillsong Songwriter Renounces Faith

Highly Popular Hillsong Songwriter Renounces Faith

Not crazy about the website this is on, but John Burton posted it on FB tonight.
    Hillsongs is failing in a big way.

August 11, 2019 Blog
    Highly Popular Hillsong Songwriter Renounces Faith
    Posted by JeffMaples

I wish I could say I was surprised by what should be major news, but I’m not. Hillsong is a prosperity gospel cult that preaches a false gospel and gives people a false hope of a better life in this world. When that hope isn’t realized — and it usually isn’t — then it only makes sense to walk away from what gave those empty promises, to begin with.

While many will be surprised to hear that Marty Sampson, one of the primary songwriters for Hillsong United, is walking away from the faith, it’s merely another drop in the bucket of God purifying His bride. Recently, we reported on the apostasy of Joshua Harris, the Purity Culture pastor and author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye when he renounced his faith on Instagram. Following in his footsteps is Marty Sampson, who, for many of the same reasons, has decided to walk as well.

In Sampson’s “major announcement” on Instagram, he cites “science” as one of his main reasons for walking. He writes,

Time for some real talk… I’m genuinely losing my faith.. and it doesn’t bother me… like, what bothers me now is nothing… I am so happy now, so at peace with the world.. it’s crazy / this is a soapbox moment so here I go xx how many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send 4 billion people to a place, all coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it. Christians can be the most judgemental people on the planet – they can also be some of the most beautiful and loving people… but it’s not for me. I am not in any more. I want genuine truth. Not the “I just believe it” kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion. Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real. Unfollow if you want, I’ve never been about living my life for others. All I know is what’s true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point… I could go on, but I won’t. Love and forgive absolutely. Be kind absolutely. Be generous and do good to others absolutely. Some things are good no matter what you believe. Let the rain fall, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Bottom line. When Christianity is used as a means to gain the world, it ends up being a means to lose your soul. What Sampson was a part of is not Christianity. The Bible speaks very clearly of people like Sampson. Sampson clearly was not interested in sound teaching but desired to use his pedestal at Hillsong to launch his campaign for his self-interests.

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
    2 Tim 4:3-4 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)]

https://reformationcharlotte.org/201...5F-IRtGnWCRGvs

His discography/writing career is prolific... if you're curious, as I was, you can find a full listing of the songs he wrote or collaborated on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Sampson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (08-12-2019)

Blog Entries
    Well, can't say I'm surprised. Probably see more and more of this.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-12-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-12-2019), Femme* (08-12-2019)

"reformationcharlotte" again ? You posted one of their articles about Hillsong previously and asked if it's a heresy hunter site. Quest posted one of their articles on Beth Moore on Facebook recently, they're clearly an anti-charismatic site.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    "reformationcharlotte" again ? You posted one of their articles about Hillsong previously and asked if it's a heresy hunter site. Quest posted one of their articles on Beth Moore on Facebook recently, they're clearly an anti-charismatic site.
    I believe I opened the conversation saying I'm not crazy about the site... In this case, the information is true but the narrative is what it is.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

curly sue (08-12-2019), FaithfulOne (08-14-2019)

Blog Entries
    The danger is that many are discipled under a mentality of 'building the kingdom of their church or movement' without a deep foundation of solid faith.
    It's about the outward expression and hype but where is the inner fellowship with Christ.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

A.J. (08-12-2019), curly sue (08-12-2019), Ezekiel 33 (08-12-2019), FaithfulOne (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    The article I asked about Hillsongs and the website was this thread and it wasn't reformationcharlotte, it was nowthentheendbegins.
    https://livingfaithforum.com/showthr...LGBTQ-Position

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    The article I asked about Hillsongs and the website was this thread and it wasn't reformationcharlotte, it was nowthentheendbegins.
    http://https://livingfaithforum.com/...LGBTQ-Position
    Which included something by reformationcharlotte :

"FROM REFORMATION CHARLOTTE: In the wake of a recent attack by celebrity Ellen Page against Chris Pratt, an attendee of Hillsong Church, who called Pratt’s church “infamously anti-LGBTQ,” Hillsong released a statement denying this."

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    The danger is that many are discipled under a mentality of 'building the kingdom of their church or movement' without a deep foundation of solid faith.
    It's about the outward expression and hype but where is the inner fellowship with Christ.
    It seems that he's a victim of science worship, science worshipping atheists have an explanation for anything and everything, the question is if people buy into the mindset.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (08-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Well, can't say I'm surprised. Probably see more and more of this.
    Why all the negativism ?

Anti charismatic site or not, it is on the guys instagram. I don't have a clue who he is as I quit watching Hillsong a long time ago.

One thing I'm sure of a lot of people aren't alive enough spiritually to understand the difference between "legalism" and the holiness that God expects of us as we are transformed into the image of Christ. Unfortunately it causes many to run off the rails.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (08-12-2019), FaithfulOne (08-14-2019), Femme* (08-12-2019)