Thread: Georgia State Rep Erica Thomas Backtracks on "Go Back" Accusation

Georgia State Rep Erica Thomas Backtracks on "Go Back" Accusation

-Meet Georgia Representative Erica Thomas.

As detractors of President Donald Trump made much of his recent tweet suggesting that his congressional critics should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came" and as they complained about a chant at a rally to "send her back" (referring to one of those critics), Thomas entered herself into the national debate about race. She claimed that a "white man" told her "you need to go back to where you came from" after confronting her in a grocery store.

In a tearful video, she decried "white privilege" because the man with "hate in his heart" allegedly berated her and told her to "go back." She was challenged by the man after she went through the express lane with more than 10 items. She claimed she did so because she is pregnant and "can't stand up for long," although later admitted that her daughter was the cause of the over-quota purchase.

After the video was shared, Twitter hashtags were created in her defense and political figures — from Representative Ted Lieu to New York Mayor Bill de Blasio — made her a national figure. But then her story began to change. She walked back the "go back" storyline. At a press conference, after questioned by a reporter about the comment, she said: "I don't know if he said 'go back,' or those types of words... I don't know if he said 'go back to your country' or 'go back to where you came from,' but he was making those types of references is what I remember."

She adjusted her recollection after the man showed up at her press conference, during which she was miraculously able to stand at length before the cameras to repeat her allegations. The man, Eric Sparkes, turned out to be Cuban and not white. While admitting, "I called you a lazy b-i-t-c-h. That's the worst thing I said," Sparkes charged Thomas was "playing the victim for political purposes." He added that he is a liberal whose social media posts prove he's "anti-Trump, anti-Republican, anti-racism, anti-bigotry."

Sparkes has threatened to sue Thomas for defamation, yet Thomas wants Sparkes arrested for what she alleges he said – whatever that might be at this point...

https://nationalcenter.org/ncppr/201...ck-accusation/

Blog Entries
    I don't see where she backtracked in that article. I did a little more searching and found this:

Erica Thomas says she is not 'retracting anything that I said'

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...c-677034fe2f2f

It does say in krystian's article that the guy turned out not to be white, but Cuban, and very liberal. So anybody with any sense and no agenda knows she's making it up.