Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than 1 in 4 delivery drivers have taken a bite out of an orderr: study

Blog Entries

More than 1 in 4 delivery drivers have taken a bite out of an orderr: study

More than one in four food delivery drivers have taken a bite out of an order, according to a nausea-inducing new study.

The survey conducted by US Foods revealed this week that 28 percent of food delivery app messengers admitted to nibbling on customers' food — and even more have been tempted to sneak a bite.

Roughly 54 percent of the delivery people surveyed said they at least considered taking a taste after smelling the order.

"We're sorry to report that sometimes, impulse gets the best of deliverers, and they violate their sacred duty by taking some of the food!" said the researchers, who surveyed 497 drivers from apps such as UberEats, Grubhub, DoorDash and Postmate.

The same study found that 21 percent of customers had suspected a driver of munching on their order — but the gross confession from the drivers will still likely leave them peeved.

When asked how upset they would be about a driver grabbing a few fries, customers reported they'd rate their dissatisfaction at 8.4 on a scale of 1 being "no big deal" and 10 as "absolutely unacceptable."

The study found that 85 percent of customers want to see tamper-evident labels on the food to discourage delivery drivers from tasting their chow before it reaches their door.

In the survey, delivery drivers also complained that customers engaged in some bad behavior.

"Of the nearly 500 deliverers we surveyed, topping the list is weak tips, food not being ready at the restaurant, and lack of communication with customers," researchers said.

At least 60 percent said they'd received a bad tip if they got one at all.

More than a third of messengers reported that customers don't answer their phone or leave unclear instructions when placing orders, the study found.

Researchers said they conducted the nationwide study over a three-day period in May to help restaurants and delivery services better navigate the rapidly growing industry.

"By learning more about what consumers crave in their off-premise dining experiences, restaurant owners and operators can better cater to their customers' needs while making smarter business decisions," researchers said.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/29/more-t...d-order-study/

Blog Entries
    I have delivered pizza and Chinese food in the past, and I don't think it ever crossed my mind to take a bite of the food.

I am not surprised. How about a percentage of those that have ordered delivery and thought this wouldnt happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    I am not surprised. How about a percentage of those that have ordered delivery and thought this wouldnt happen?
    I never even thought about that before either until that article. No more delivery for me.

Blog Entries
    They need to put some special tape as a seal over the package but its gross that it would happen

eh.. the stuff I order isn't easily accessible. (soup etc)

If I see BBQ sauce on his fingers, he's in BIG trouble.

Actually, most of our places put everything in one HUGE bad and tie/staple it up.

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I never even thought about that before either until that article.
    I have!

… Which is why the only takeout we occasionally order is Pizza - It's hard to not notice a slice of pizza is missing, and Chinese - Because they always staple the bag shut.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

fuego (08-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    ...they always staple the bag shut.
    Off topic but a big pet peeve of mine...they shouldn't use staples!

There have been a few times those staples have fallen off while opening the food and even once fell into the food. You know there have got to be people who have unknowingly eaten those metal staples.

That's interesting, because in every order we get, not only is the bag (of Chinese takeout) stapled, the food is tightly sealed in containers, so I don't know how the staples manage to fall into the food.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    That's interesting, because in every order we get, not only is the bag (of Chinese takeout) stapled, the food is tightly sealed in containers, so I don't know how the staples manage to fall into the food.
    Welcome to the 'krystian zone'.