Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you still have a landline?

Do you still have a landline?

It was hard to finally let go but last week I ditched my landline. I had been toying with it for a while thinking about how little I used it anymore every time the new bill came.

On a side note, two days later my cell phone started acting up and had to be mailed in for service.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

Yeah, we still have a land line. Right now, our pre-paid flip phones are about to bite the dust, so we are trying to find something affordable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

Not since 10-15 years ago. By now it's just an irrational old habit. You can call people for free over Facebook messenger and if the cell phone is too small for other activities then use a pad or a pc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019), Highly Favoured (07-13-2019)

No, we disco’d that 10+yrs ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

We still have our landline + 2 cell phones... I’ve mentioned to Rog quite a few times about saving $52/month because it seems the only people who call us are his sisters and telemarketers. But he’s not ready to part with it. On an interesting side of it, a cousin I haven’t heard from in almost 20 years was able to contact me a couple weeks ago because we’re still in the phone listings. So that’s cool.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    We still have our landline + 2 cell phones... I’ve mentioned to Rog quite a few times about saving $52/month because it seems the only people who call us are his sisters and telemarketers. But he’s not ready to part with it. On an interesting side of it, a cousin I haven’t heard from in almost 20 years was able to contact me a couple weeks ago because we’re still in the phone listings. So that’s cool.
    There are no cell phone listings ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    No, we disco’d that 10+yrs ago.
    Same here. I think it's been about that long.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

$52 Canadian per month is almost four times what it costs here, that sounds like they are ripping off the customers that are still sticking with it. You're adding $500 to their profits every year.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    $52 per month is thrice what I expected, that sounds like they are ripping off the customers that are still sticking with it. You're adding $500 to their profits every year.
    It’s not like I don’t think about that every time I pay the darn bill. We have 4 extra services included in that so it’s not just a basic landline. I could call and negotiate the price by telling them I’m going to cancel and maybe they’d find me a better price. You have to remember that we live in a very rural area, too. That makes a difference in some of our lifestyle decisions.

ETA: Cell phone plans are very expensive in Canada, too. I pay about $180 for 2 smart phones with 2gig of data that we share.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to A.J. For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (07-18-2019)

It’s not like I don’t think about that every time I pay the darn bill. We have 4 extra services included in that so it’s not just a basic landline. I could call and negotiate the price by telling them I’m going to cancel and maybe they’d find me a better price. You have to remember that we live in a very rural area, too. That makes a difference in some of our lifestyle decisions.
    Okay so that calculates to much less for the phone service itself then.