Thread: Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

I love gardening and I usually don't wear gloves. I have a big yard and only once a few years ago did I see a suspicious '3 leaf' plant that I later found out was indeed poison ivy.

I don't know what happened this year but I've seen it in 3 different places. Two I spotted immediately but the third one took me by surprise and may have grazed the back of my hand. I immediately washed my hands and all seems well.

Have any of you had to deal with it? How have you removed it? I understand you need to get the root too because that is poisonous also. Matter of fact the one that may have nicked me was growing right in the middle of a clump of my garlic so I wound up digging and throwing some of the garlic away too.

The only other incident I've had with hurtful plants was when I was weeding and didn't notice a baby stinging nettle, that one let me know right away.

Round up! I had a huge clump to deal with. Learn to identify the plant, use roundup on the leaves only, and watch the area. It took two years to eradicate the area completely - although, with all the rain we've had, I haven't been able to get back to that area because it's been under water until recently.

People freak out about Round Up, but use it with appropriate protection. Carefully spray on the leaves only. Wait. Check for any regrowth. Spray again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Highly Favoured For This Useful Post:

krystian (07-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    Round up! I had a huge clump to deal with. Learn to identify the plant, use roundup on the leaves only, and watch the area. It took two years to eradicate the area completely - although, with all the rain we've had, I haven't been able to get back to that area because it's been under water until recently.

People freak out about Round Up, but use it with appropriate protection. Carefully spray on the leaves only. Wait. Check for any regrowth. Spray again.
    Thanks, the more I'm reading about it the more I want to make sure its all gone. Apparently even poison ivy that has been dead for a few years can still contain the oil.

Oh yes it can still have the oil. I took a walk back to the patch. I didn’t look that closely but I will when the weather cools.