Thread: Bakery Stopped Shoplifter, College Called Them Racist, Jury Just Awarded The Bakery $11 Million

Bakery Stopped Shoplifter, College Called Them Racist, Jury Just Awarded The Bakery $11 Million

-A family that has owned and operated an Ohio bakery near Oberlin College since 1885 suffered accusations of racism and protests after stopping a black Oberlin College student from shoplifting. That prompted the Gibson family, which has owned and operated the business since its inception, to sue the college and its interim vice president and dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, asserting that they had defamed the bakery and caused emotional distress.

On Friday, a jury awarded the family $11 million.

A witness for the plaintiffs, accountant Frank Monaco, had testified that the Gibsons were set to lose about $5.8 million over the next 30 years because of the accusations of racism. He noted that the business had been in operation for over 130 years, adding, “When you have people thinking you’re racist, and you live in a small town, the accusation can last a lifetime.”

A witness testifying for the defendants claimed the business was worth only $35,000.

According to the lawsuit filed by the Gibson family, David Gibson and his son, Allyn, were working at the bakery on November 9, 2016, when Jonathan Aladin entered the bakery with two other students, Cecelia Whettstone and Endia Lawrence.

According to The Chronicle-Telegram:

Oberlin police reported that Aladin tried to buy a bottle of wine Nov. 9 but Allyn Gibson, whose family owns the bakery, refused to sell it to him. Gibson confronted Aladin about the two bottles of wine the student allegedly had hidden under his shirt. The police report said Gibson told Aladin he was calling the police and not to leave. Aladin allegedly tried to leave, and Gibson told police he took out his phone to take a picture. That’s when Gibson said Aladin slapped the phone from his hand and the device hit Gibson in the face. Police have said Aladin then ran from the store, dropping the two bottles of wine to the floor.

Gibson chased after Aladin and the two men got into a physical confrontation outside.When police arrived, they reported seeing Gibson on the ground with Aladin, Lawrence and Whettstone hitting him...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/48169...s-hank-berrien

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (06-21-2019)

Blog Entries
    Crazy. The university got involved and backed them and even demonstrated with them. They got of what they deserved. Finney would spin in his grave (he helped found Oberlin and taught there).

The lawsuit noted that following the arrest of the three students, Oberlin College staff, including deans and professors, Raimondo included, joined the demonstrations in front of the bakery. They handed out a flyer that accused the bakery of racially profiling and discriminating against the three students. The flyer even stated that the bakery "is a RACIST establishment with a LONG ACCOUNT of RACIAL PROFILING and DISCRIMINATION."

The lawsuit alleged that Raimondo shouted defamatory statements on a bullhorn at the demonstration and that the college suspended classes so students could attend the demonstration. The lawsuit also alleged that the college supplied the demonstrators with free food and drink. It also stated that Oberlin police investigated and found no evidence that the bakery was racist.

And for those that didn't read the article, at sentencing two of the guys that were involved produced a statement where they admitted the owner acted within his rights, he was not racially motivated, and they confessed to trying to use the fake ID.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Lindaeverchanging (06-12-2019), Valiant Woman (06-21-2019)

Blog Entries
    They need a Finney sermon to put the fear of God in them

and sack the Dean and make her pay some costs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (06-12-2019), Valiant Woman (06-21-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    They need a Finney sermon to put the fear of God in them

and sack the Dean and make her pay some costs
    Ultra liberal college. Radical left.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (06-12-2019)

No good deed shall go unpunished.

Unhappy

Oberlin College was one of many key stops for Underground Railroad travelers. I’m saddened by their progressivism. It appears that it began to happen when they discontinued the Graduate School of Theology. Too bad that a once vibrant Christian college has deviated from its original creed and has become an advocate of political correctness.
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (06-21-2019), fuego (06-21-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    Oberlin College was one of many key stops for Underground Railroad travelers. I’m saddened by their progressivism. It appears that it began to happen when they discontinued the Graduate School of Theology. Too bad that a once vibrant Christian college has deviated from its original creed and has become an advocate of political correctness.
    Yep. Finney preached against slavery.

There is an interesting story in one of his books and I can't remember which. But he actually wrote Lincoln a letter about slavery. And if I remember correctly he got a response from Lincoln, maybe to clarify some points, Finney wrote him back and he never received another response. But shortly after that last letter was when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. So did Finney influence Lincoln any? Who knows. But it is an interesting story.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (06-21-2019), Valiant Woman (06-22-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Yep. Finney preached against slavery.

There is an interesting story in one of his books and I can't remember which. But he actually wrote Lincoln a letter about slavery. And if I remember correctly he got a response from Lincoln, maybe to clarify some points, Finney wrote him back and he never received another response. But shortly after that last letter was when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. So did Finney influence Lincoln any? Who knows. But it is an interesting story.

I did a little Googling and found this comment. Close to my account. I think mine is a little more accurate. Finney wrote him first before Lincoln wrote back.

I have read much of Charles Finney’s works. In one of the books he writes of how President Lincoln wrote to him, asking him a question regarding the slave issue. Finney wrote back to the President who was wrestling with the issue. The was an exchange of a few letters and Mr. Finney believe that he had convinced the President.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (06-22-2019)

Blog Entries
    One more interesting story:

After reading the monumental work on George Washington, Sacred Fire, I have turned my attention to the other of the greatest presidents by public reckoning — Abraham Lincoln. In the study I am reading A. Lincoln: A Biography by Ronald C. White, Jr. I will probably make a few posts along the way. My initial impressions of the work are positive. The documentation and detail seems to be adequate and the writing easy to follow. It comes with high marks from several reputable sources.

Here I want to mention what is an anomaly or oddity that I have found in White's work. On pages 296-97, White summarizes:

"In Ohio, a contentious issue was the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. The controversy was raised to a fever pitch in the fall of 1858 when a federal marshal arrested John Price, a slave who had lived in Oberlin for some time. Residents of Oberlin stormed the hotel in nearby Wellington where Price was being held, freed him, and took him back to Oberlin, where the president of Oberlin College hid him in his home before friends spirited him away to Canada." (emphasis added)

What is perplexing is the absence of the name of the president of Oberlin College — none other than Charles Finney, who served as Oberlin's president from 1851-1866. Throughout the book, White mentions many pastors and preachers, some obscure, who figure into the narrative he is presenting of Lincoln and his times. However, here he fails to mention one of the most famous revivalists of his day, who was also an ardent abolitionist. I wonder why the lack of mention of Finney.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (06-21-2019), Valiant Woman (06-22-2019)