Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia pastor explains prayer for Trump after some 'hurt' by it

Virginia pastor explains prayer for Trump after some 'hurt' by it

Really?? Christians aren't aware that we're supposed to be praying for our leaders whether we like them or not??

-The Northern Virginia pastor who prayed for President Trump on stage after an unscheduled visit Sunday explained why he did so, acknowledging "some within our church...are hurt that I made this decision."

David Platt, McLean Bible Church pastor, told his congregation, in a statement, that his "aim was in no way to endorse the president, his policies, or his party, but to obey God's command to pray for our president and other leaders" as mentioned in the Bible.

While the megachurch was not one of the churches that joined Rev. Franklin Graham's "Special Day of Prayer" for Trump, Platt acknowledged it from the platform, adding "we don't want to do that just on this Sunday, we want to do that continually, day in and day out."

Platt read the same portion of Scripture, 1 Timothy 2:1-6, that Graham shared which specifically calls believers to pray those "in high positions," before he prayed for two and a half minutes, for "wisdom" for the president and for leaders across the nation, explaining to his members "it is good, and pleasing in the sight of God, to pray for the president."

The former president of the Southern Baptist Convention's International Mission Board, who has said churches should focus on Jesus Christ and not nationalism, said: "So, in that moment, I decided to take this unique opportunity for us as a church to pray over him together."

"For a variety of valid reasons," the pastor explained, some were hurt by Platt's decision, which "weighs heavy on my heart."
    Platt did not apologize for praying for Trump -- as some outlets originally reported -- but tried to clarify for his congregation why he did so...

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values...-pastor-prayer

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

curly sue (06-05-2019), Ezekiel 33 (06-05-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

God forbid he would risk taking any stand in the political scene. I love David Platt but see no need to explain himself.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

curly sue (06-05-2019), Ezekiel 33 (06-05-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

Blog Entries
    Trump Derangement Syndrome Infects the Church House Todd Starnes

Trump Derangement Syndrome has apparently infected some church houses across the fruited plain. I write about this predicament extensively in my upcoming book, "Culture Jihad: How to Stop the Left From Killing a Nation."

Last week Franklin Graham called on pastors to hold a special day of prayer for President Trump. On Sunday the president made an unannounced visit to McLean Bible Church where Pastor David Platt delivered a moving prayer before the congregation.

Washington Post points out it was a peculiar choice because the pastor is known for his opposition to materialism and has preached that the church should not promote nationalism.

And former White House staffer Cliff Sims told Christianity Today, Platt had been conflicted about possibly speaking at a White House prayer breakfast.

Knowing that, I find the pastor's prayer and pastoral leadership even more admirable — and dare I say – Christ-like.

However, some in the congregation were reportedly offended by the notion that a preacher would dare to soil the "sanctity" of the church house by praying for a fellow sinner.

Pastor Platt posted a note about Sunday's prayer on the church's website — perhaps to soothe the wounded souls of the Trump haters in the pews.

"My aim was in no way to endorse the president, his policies, or his party, but to obey God's command to pray for our president and other leaders to govern in the way this passage portrays," Platt wrote in a letter to the congregation.

By the way, let's clear up some of the fake news surrounding what happened, too. Politico incorrectly reported Pastor Platt apologized for the prayer. They later corrected the story.

The pastor's letter to the church was simply an explanation of the events leading up to the prayer as well as a biblical explanation of why he prayed for the president.

"I wanted to share all of this with you in part because I know that some within our church, for a variety of valid reasons, are hurt that I made this decision. This weighs heavy on my heart," the pastor wrote. "I love every member of this church, and I only want to lead us with God's Word in a way that transcends political party and position, heals the hurts of racial division and injustice, and honors every man and woman made in the image of God. So while I am thankful that we had an opportunity to obey 1 Timothy 2 in a unique way today, I don't want to purposely ever do anything that undermines the unity we have in Christ."

It's unthinkable that any Bible-believing Christian would take offense at someone being prayed for simply because of their politics or their spiritual condition.

You may think that President Trump is the worst sinner in America, a wretched heathen. Well, that's all the more reason to pray for the president.

President Trump came to a church house searching for spiritual guidance and he should've been warmly embraced by every Christian in the sanctuary. Those of us who profess to be Christian are all sinners saved by grace. We all need prayer — no matter our lot in life.

So here's some friendly advice to those Christians across America who seem to believe the president is beyond redemption: Before casting stones, the pious pew dwellers should consider pulling the plank out of their own eyes — lest they hit the wrong person.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

curly sue (06-05-2019), Ezekiel 33 (06-28-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    God forbid he would risk taking any stand in the political scene. I love David Platt but see no need to explain himself.
    He should have chastised them from the pulpit for their way of thinking and supported it with scripture. This stuff with pastors drives me nuts.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

curly sue (06-05-2019), Ezekiel 33 (06-06-2019), FireBrand (06-05-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    He should have chastised them from the pulpit for their way of thinking and supported it with scripture. This stuff with pastors drives me nuts.
    Right. In reading his book “Radical” it doesnt reason that he would be bothered by what anyone thinks. He is a straight shooter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-06-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Right. In reading his book “Radical” it doesnt reason that he would be bothered by what anyone thinks. He is a straight shooter.
    Well he just got exposed, because what he’s doing in the aftermath ain’t radical.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-06-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Well he just got exposed, because what he’s doing in the aftermath ain’t radical.
    That is for sure. He better learn quick or he is no better than Joel Toothpaste.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-06-2019), fuego (06-05-2019)

Blog Entries
    Pastor Platt... We Don't Need to Apologize for Praying

In light of Pastor Platt's apology for praying for the President in the Washington Times, I'm re-releasing this op-ed with a few additions. I was shocked to see an apology from pastor David to his congregation. While he didn't use the word "apology," he said, "I know that some within our church, for a variety of valid reasons, are hurt that I made this decision." There are no valid reasons and his back peddling comes across as damage control to many people. Granted, I don't have all of the information, nor do I understand all of the dynamics that took place. But, in most cases, we do not need to apologize for praying for our leaders. We are commanded to do so, and we should answer our critics; read more here.

Over the last few decades, Americans have seen the destruction of the institution of marriage between a man and a woman, the removal of God's Word in several areas, and the blatant murdering of millions of babies. This is an indictment against America and the pulpit is partially responsible—our silence and our apologies speak volumes.

The pulpit regulates the spiritual condition of God's people which affects the nation. A lukewarm, sex-saturated culture simply reflects the lack of conviction in the pulpit as well as the pew. What type of Christian would be offended when their pastor prays for the President? It appears that party affiliation, and not genuine concern, is fueling the animosity.

Sadly, many pastors are exchanging truth for passivity, boldness for cowardliness, and conviction for comfort . . . most are not aflame with righteousness. We aim to be motivational speakers rather than preachers of righteousness. A paraphrase that is often attributed to Alexis De Tocqueville—a Frenchman who authored Democracy in America in the early 1800s, sums it up: "It was not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her success. America is great because she is good, and if America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

Pastors (and Christian leaders alike) must take responsibility for the spiritual health of today's church, and the nation. We don't need more marketing plans, demographic studies, or giving campaigns; we need men filled with the Spirit of God.

Pastors, we are not just cheerleaders, we are game changers. We are called to stir and to convict so that change takes place. Granted, there are many wonderful pastors such as David—I appreciate his ministry, but, as a whole, the church has drifted off course. We often want to be politically correct rather than biblically correct. Here are four ways to offset this trend.

1. RETURN TO THE PRAYER CLOSET.

Without prayer, "the church becomes a graveyard, not an embattled army. Praise and prayer are stifled; worship is dead. The preacher and the preaching encourage sin, not holiness...preaching which kills is prayerless preaching. Without prayer, the preacher creates death, and not life" (E.M. Bounds).

When God brings change, prayer has been the catalyst. Martin Luther prayed and the church was reformed. John Knox prayed and Scotland was revived. John Wesley prayed and America was restored. George Whitefield prayed and nations were changed. D.L. Moody prayed and America fell to her knees. Amy Carmichael prayed and India received the gospel. And so it goes...when you pray, you move the hand of God.

The dry, dead lethargic condition of the church simply reflects an impotent prayer life. While 5-minute devotionals and prayers are good, they aren't going to cut it in these dire times. We need powerful times of prayer, devotion, and worship. "Without the heartbeat of prayer, the body of Christ will resemble a corpse. The church is dying on her feet because she is not living on her knees" (Al Whittinghill).

Sermons should not come from pop-psychology and the latest fad; they must come from the prayer closet where God prepares the messenger before we prepare the message. It takes broken men to break men. Unplug the tv, turn off Facebook, and get back into the Word of God, prayer, and worship.

2. RETURN TO A SEPARATED LIFE.

If a pastor fills his mind with the world all week and expects the Spirit of God to speak boldly through him from the pulpit, he will be gravely mistaken. "The sermon cannot rise in its life-giving forces above the man. Dead men give out dead sermons, and dead sermons kill. Everything depends on the spiritual character of the preacher" (E.M. Bounds). Who he is all week is who he will be when he steps to the pulpit.

3. WORSHIP MUST BE A PRIORITY.

A pastor who does not worship is not prepared to preach. Many sing "about" God but they have never truly experienced Him—head knowledge without heart knowledge. Styles of worship range from the old, beloved hymns to contemporary. All worship should be God-centered, Christ exalted, and doctrinally sound.

Worship allows us to shift our focus and praise toward God. Whether you prefer hymnals and organs or contemporary bands, is really not the issue. The issue is: are you truly worshipping God in "spirit and in truth"? He is the Creator of heaven and earth. He is not a cosmic force, universal love, or a doting grandfather; He is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. We must worship Him. He created, redeemed, and saved us. As one of the countless hymns declares so well, "O' The Blood: washes me; shed for me...what a sacrifice that saved my life, yes, the blood, it is my victory!"

4. PREACH THE DIFFICULT TRUTHS–THEY SET PEOPLE FREE.

The church cannot neglect, water-down, or avoid preaching sin, repentance, or the fear of the Lord in the hope of not offending or securing an audience. Difficult truths often offend, and rightly so, sin put Christ on the cross. The goal of preaching is faithfulness to God, not crowd appeal. The church, as a whole, may have forgotten the fear of the Lord, but it doesn't follow that we should.

Let it not be said of us today: And there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord because pastors failed to be preachers of righteousness. The burden of responsibility rests squarely upon our shoulders. It's our choice—stand or fall!

But there is hope: "Therefore say to them, Thus declares the LORD of hosts: Return to me, says the LORD of hosts, and I will return to you..." (Zechariah 1:3). That's a life-changing promise – return to Him and He will return to you.

https://www.christianheadlines.com/c...p=538765365%20

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-07-2019), FireBrand (06-06-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

Blog Entries
    It appears that Trump seems to be the only person in America that one has to apologize for praying for.

Disgusting.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-07-2019), FireBrand (06-06-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)

I would be THRILLED for the president to come to our church for prayer. We would treat him and his family with the love and dignity that Jesus would want us to give him.

The thing is, I would have done the same thing for President Obama despite my strong and vehement disagreements with him. I would have welcomed him. Now, given the chance I would have respectfully expressed my concerns with his ungodly policies and practices but still would have honored him. Hence, if I can do this for a president whose ideological beliefs I am opposed to, I do not understand why so-called Christians would oppose prayer for one of the most pro-Christian presidents (his stance on LGBTQ issues notwithstanding).

Thankfully some pastors, even in the Black community, are waking up. One of my pastor friends who was NOT a fan of Trump by any stretch of the word preached at a service last Sunday and I was happy when he told those of us in attendance, "I'm sorry if you do not like President Trump but the Bible says that we are to pray for him." Whether I was an influence on him or not I don't know (since I have publicly made similar statements) but it does not matter. It tells me that some are starting to obey God in this area.
    Christ's Victory Bible Teaching Center
    Web site: http://www.cvbibleteachingcenter.org

Vindicating God Ministries
    (A Unique New Bible Teaching Ministry)
    Web site: http://www.vindicatinggod.org
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vindicatinggod
    Gab: https://gab.com/victoriousword
    Minds: https://www.minds.com/victoriousword/
    MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/troyedwards15

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to victoryword For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-10-2019), FireBrand (06-07-2019), fuego (06-07-2019), Valiant Woman (06-27-2019)