Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rise and Attraction To Jewish Roots

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    I wonder if this is the pendulum swinging the other way for that well-known pastor saying that the OT wasn't needed...
    For some maybe. Up here, it has started as a fad, some drop off and others go deeply into it. We have seen this among forum members over the years.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-31-2019), Highly Favoured (06-04-2019)

We had a couple like that who attended the small church where I was saved. All of a sudden he was wearing the head covering and they were all about their recently discovered Jewish roots.

It is quite a spectacle to watch, and sad. It was Paul's main struggle with the churches. It was the reason for the Jerusalem council in Acts 15.

The Galatians and Colossians were into that sort of thing, both were situated on what is now the Turkish mainland. The others had quite different problems, especially the Corinthians. Jews were out teaching Judaism to Gentile converts at an early time, particularly in Antioch which was a huge city close to Israels northern border. It's possible that they had reached as far as the mentioned churches already by the time of the council in Jerusalem. Most of Paul's churches were established later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 33 View Post
    We had a couple like that who attended the small church where I was saved. All of a sudden he was wearing the head covering and they were all about their recently discovered Jewish roots.

It is quite a spectacle to watch, and sad. It was Paul's main struggle with the churches. It was the reason for the Jerusalem council in Acts 15.
    I watch them convert to a culture. They are compelled to spell God without the vowel in order to give Him utmost respect. So many more little nuances to which are meaningless to me. Is there a missionary endeavor to bring this to those living deep in the Congo or Yukon Territory? Would they teach them the Hebrew language to better understand Christ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-31-2019)

Thanks to Doc Brown...

The Rise and Attraction To Jewish Roots-ca4be308-b51c-48f3-9036-2e1ad6b4a762-jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-03-2019), fuego (05-31-2019), Highly Favoured (06-04-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Thanks to Doc Brown...

The Rise and Attraction To Jewish Roots-ca4be308-b51c-48f3-9036-2e1ad6b4a762-jpg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-03-2019), FireBrand (05-31-2019)

This is a fairly good example of why I don't discuss much of the contents of the Hebrew scriptures with people who call themselves "Christian." If anyone wants to have a real discussion where both sides have both input and are listening, please feel free to let me know. You might be surprised at the insights that can be gained from reading the Bible in the original language.
    Anyone know how many commandments (Laws) are contained in the words of Jesus? Here's a clue... there are more than 1,000. Jewish people try to memorize the teachings in the Bible and to do what is written. I don't think I know a single Christian who treats the Bible that way. So, if you want to be, "Not under Law," you are not actually acting as a disciple of Jesus. Don't worry too much about the "Old Testament." Just try to do the things commanded in the "New Testament." All of them.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tehilah Ba'Aretz For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-03-2019), FireBrand (06-02-2019), Smitty (06-02-2019), sojourner (06-03-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehilah Ba'Aretz View Post
    This is a fairly good example of why I don't discuss much of the contents of the Hebrew scriptures with people who call themselves "Christian." If anyone wants to have a real discussion where both sides have both input and are listening, please feel free to let me know. You might be surprised at the insights that can be gained from reading the Bible in the original language.
    Anyone know how many commandments (Laws) are contained in the words of Jesus? Here's a clue... there are more than 1,000. Jewish people try to memorize the teachings in the Bible and to do what is written. I don't think I know a single Christian who treats the Bible that way. So, if you want to be, "Not under Law," you are not actually acting as a disciple of Jesus. Don't worry too much about the "Old Testament." Just try to do the things commanded in the "New Testament." All of them.
    Somebody said; "We don't need to follow the 10 commandments because that was in the OT and now we have the NT. But if you read the whole NT you will actually find the 10 commandments interwoven throughout the pages and many more as Tehilah Ba'Aretz mentioned.

The apostle Paul mentioned that "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision in nothing, but what matters is keeping the commandments of God (1 Cor 7:19).

The apostle John said; "This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and His commandments are not burdensome (1 Jn 5:3).

The Lord said; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments (Jn 14:15).

I'll be the first to admit that I have failed to keep all the commandments found in the NT but I am learning to and striving to. When I blow it the Holy Spirit convicts me of falling short of what the word says to do and I am quit to repent and continue on the walk. Perfection won't happen for me because I am far from perfect. But striving to be conformed to His image is my goal in life. One thing I can say is I'm a little further ahead today than I was yesterday towards obtaining that goal.

Didn't the Lord also mention; "But He said, "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word and observe it (Lk 11:28). Which also goes hand in hand with what the apostle James wrote in his letter; "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves (Jms 1:22).

Change does not happen overnight. It takes a lifetime to walk out our salvation and to become more like Jesus, one day at a time.
    If you put God First, you have Him at Last.

Thanks for popping in and sharing your side of it. There is much about those that pursue Jewish Roots I just wont understand but in various churches I have regarded them (and still do) as precious brothers and sisters in Christ. And to me, that is fulfillment of the Law in the most simplistic and profound manner. We have had some most excellent Seder meals.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (06-03-2019)

Blog Entries
    Here's a clue... there are more than 1,000. Jewish people try to memorize the teachings in the Bible and to do what is written.

Do all Jewish people memorize the OT and do whats written - how do you define 'Jewish people'
    There are secular Jews who don't live according to the OT - Israel has a thriving homosexual community

There are ultra orthodox Jews in Israel who rigorously memorize the OT and say they live strictly to the teachings but they will also spit, yell and even stone people who go into their neighbourhood not wearing the right clothes or do something on the sabbath

I don't think I know a single Christian who treats the Bible that way.

There is truth to what you say because living 100% to every NT command is a great challenge but that doesn't mean there aren't Christians who seriously respect all NT commands even if at times they fail to live up to them.