Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachel Held Evans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    What I don't understand (or maybe I do and don't realize it) is why Rachel had to leave at such a young age, yet Carlton Pearson, who has been around longer, should know better, who teaches far more heresy and IMO is more dangerous than her overall, is still around in his 60's??
    Because dying isn't based on any of that. And God doesn't really actively control who dies and when they die for the most part.

Having said that, I'm not sure I agree one of them is worse than the other. If she's saying practicing homosexuals, etc, can be saved she's teaching her own form of universalism.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

victoryword (05-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Because dying isn't based on any of that. I know. Just trying to humanely rationalize it.And God doesn't really actively control who dies and when they die for the most part.

Having said that, I'm not sure I agree one of them is worse than the other. If she's saying practicing homosexuals, etc, can be saved she's teaching her own form of universalism.
    Well think about it. If what people have said about her is true, to me she wad sincerely "seeking" and was wrestling with issues in a cognitive dissonance kind of way. Carlton was and is a bitter bitter soul that knows better. I wasn't too familiar with Rachel to begin with though. Just going by reading things she wrote and what others have said.
    I

Blog Entries
    Well think about it. If what people have said about her is true, to me she wad sincerely "seeking" and was wrestling with issues in a cognitive dissonance kind of way. Carlton was and is a bitter bitter soul that knows better. I wasn't too familiar with Rachel to begin with though. Just going by reading things she wrote and what others have said.
    I
    Right. I wasn't familiar with her at all so I'm not sure how she presented this stuff. And I don't care enough to go and find out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FaithfulOne (05-10-2019)

I
    None of us has a guarantee on tomorrow. That’s why today is the day of Salvation. If one is unsaved, how much more unsaved can they get? I’m referring to which one deserved to live or die compared to the other. I still grieve over Pearson.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

FaithfulOne (05-10-2019)

My daughter is currently reading one of her books. I’m going to have to ask a few questions.

Blog Entries
    Just came across this ...Rachel is saying Jesus never mentioned LGBTQ so Christians don't have a right to say it is unorthodox and wrong

For the record, I am not wishing Pearson or anyone else to die. I was just ruminating.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FaithfulOne For This Useful Post:

victoryword (05-13-2019)

Blog Entries
    For the record, I am not wishing Pearson or anyone else to die. I was just ruminating.

I didn't take it that way as it feels harsher for a young wife and mother to die earlier than a older person
    I have thought why do some really evil people live longer like dictators and the people they oppress die young - even the bible writers have pondered that

I get upset when I see a person steal a car, run a red light and kill some innocent person, a mother or child and they are totally unharmed.
    Why didn't they die instead???

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

FaithfulOne (05-10-2019)

Blog Entries
    I didn't take it that way at all.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FaithfulOne (05-11-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    If one is unsaved, how much more unsaved can they get? I’m referring to which one deserved to live or die compared to the other.
    That's a good point.

I was reading a Finney teaching many moons ago where he basically addresses this. He talks about the blood-thirsty pirate and his attributes, etc. Then talks about the sweet housewife who loves her husband and kids, a good moral person, and her attributes etc. Then he brings home the point that if neither is saved, they're the same person in their heart and both are deserving of eternal punishment. We like to think someone is worse than another (and of course this may be true outwardly), but like you said, how much more unsaved can the blood-thirsty pirate be than the sweet, loving, moral housewife? They're both the same amount of unsaved, both deserving of the punishment they get when based on the heart. They are both of their father the devil.

Now this has nothing to do with this discussion per se, but that made me think about something else. He has a sermon called 'Refuge of Lies' which the phrase is found in Isaiah 28:17. He makes the point how sinners seek refuge behind the lies they've formed in their life. Those lies protect them from God so to speak, protect them from having to acknowledge the truth and give their lives to the Lord.

In the case of the moral loving housewife who is not saved, the fact that she does love her family, is a good moral person, etc, become the lies she hides behind to protect herself from God and conviction and receiving Jesus. So the preaching and teaching for salvation has to be done in such a way to expose those lies and show a person that they are a sinner, and they they do need Jesus. Of course Finney was a master of that kind of preaching and teaching, preaching and teaching designed to expose the lies that sinners hide behind. And part of the foundation for that was the Law.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FaithfulOne (05-11-2019)