Thread: SKOAL

Blog Entries

SKOAL

No, not the smokeless tobacco.

I was watching an episode of Andy Griffith and Otis had dumped his bottle of whisky or whatever it was into the water cooler between the cells because Barney was going to make sure he didn't have any on him. So Barney is talking to him and starts drinking it without knowing alcohol is in it, and every time he takes a drink Otis will say something like 'bottoms up', 'cheers', etc.

So then the mayor comes in after Andy takes Barney home to get him sober, and he starts drinking out of it and talking to Otis. When he takes a drink Otis says, 'skoal' (or skol). The closed caption actually spelled it 'skoal' I believe. (And before anybody brings it up, yes I used closed caption just to make sure I get every word ). I knew he wasn't talking about the tobacco, so I looked it up.

For one, Vikings fans use it to cheer on the team. They holler 'skol Vikings!' as a cheer. The post said:

Anyway, at the end of the battle, Viking warriors would decapitate the king or leader of the tribe/army they had just vanquished and that night would drink from his skull--spelled skoll--as a sign of respect for the fallen opponent. It was only then, Viking warriors believed, could an opponent who had fought valiantly be allowed into Valhalla.

In battle, Vikings would urge each other forward by yelling "SKOLL" to one another. By doing so, they were telling each other to keep it up so they could drink from the skull (and the top of a lopped off skull looks roughly like a..wait for it...BOWL!!) of the Vanquished that night.

So it's used to urge the team on to victory.

But then I looked further and found this:

He does say "skoal":

From Nordic skål, which is used for raising a toast and also means bowl. (That there is a relation to English "skull" is urban legend.)

skoal!

A toast, roughly equivalent to cheers.

So now you know something you didn't know you didn't know.

I wonder if that's even used at all anywhere now.

I actually found a video of somebody watching the episode. You can see the scene starting at the 19:30 mark.

Bonus video. Interview with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts from '96 about the show:

I knew skoal was a toast, but I didn't know of it's origin. I remember it from old movies I guess.

Wasnt it NFL RB Earl Cambell that did the ad saying (iconically) “Skoal, brother”?

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    I had a mechanic in Tennessee who kept telling me he needed to replace the coal. I said "Chuck, this thing runs on diesel", so he says "No, John, we need to replace the coal!"..

okay...apparently coal is Tennesseean for "coil".

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I had a mechanic in Tennessee who kept telling me he needed to replace the coal. I said "Chuck, this thing runs on diesel", so he says "No, John, we need to replace the coal!"..

Blog Entries
    Why did that lady film herself watching the show?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

I have a friend who tells a true story of a friend of his about driving up in NC and getting some tar on his car from the roads. To make a long story short, he stops at a gas station and asks somebody there how to get the tar off, and the guy says, 'well, go in the trunk, get the jack...'

We have a tendency to not pronounce the 'oi' clearly. If I don't think about it, I say oil the same way he says coil without the c.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

John (05-04-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Why did that lady film herself watching the show?
    Who knows. It's Youtube.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Who knows. It's Youtube.

True...look at me