Thread: Metro Detroit Catholics permitted to eat rodent during Lent

Metro Detroit Catholics permitted to eat rodent during Lent

-Detroit-area Roman Catholics have one more dining option during Lent than most other followers of the faith. The culinary appeal of that item, however, is up for debate.

A long-standing permission allows local Catholics to eat muskrat — a furry, marsh-dwelling rodent native to the area — "on days of abstinence, including Fridays of Lent," according to the Archdiocese of Detroit. The custom dates to the region's missionary history in the 1700s and is especially prevalent in communities along the Detroit River.

Missionary priests "realized that food was especially scarce in the region by the time Lent came around and did not want to burden Catholics unreasonably by denying them one of the few readily available sources of nutrition — however unappetizing it might be for most folks," said Edward Peters, an expert on canon law who is on the faculty at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit.

The Rev. Tim Laboe grew up in an area of Michigan where the practice has long been a tradition and recalls sitting down for muskrat dinners with his grandfather.

"I don't know if I enjoy more eating the muskrat or watching people try it for the first time, because it doesn't look in any way appetizing," said Laboe, dean of studies at Sacred Heart.
    Laboe said some people describe it as tasting like duck, but he disagrees...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nt-during-lent?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-19-2019)

Blog Entries
    I don't think so.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (04-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    -Detroit-area Roman Catholics have one more dining option during Lent than most other followers of the faith. The culinary appeal of that item, however, is up for debate.

A long-standing permission allows local Catholics to eat muskrat — a furry, marsh-dwelling rodent native to the area — “on days of abstinence, including Fridays of Lent,” according to the Archdiocese of Detroit. The custom dates to the region’s missionary history in the 1700s and is especially prevalent in communities along the Detroit River.

Missionary priests “realized that food was especially scarce in the region by the time Lent came around and did not want to burden Catholics unreasonably by denying them one of the few readily available sources of nutrition — however unappetizing it might be for most folks,” said Edward Peters, an expert on canon law who is on the faculty at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit.

The Rev. Tim Laboe grew up in an area of Michigan where the practice has long been a tradition and recalls sitting down for muskrat dinners with his grandfather.

“I don’t know if I enjoy more eating the muskrat or watching people try it for the first time, because it doesn’t look in any way appetizing,” said Laboe, dean of studies at Sacred Heart.
    Laboe said some people describe it as tasting like duck, but he disagrees...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nt-during-lent?
    So Krys.....Jeet yet?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

fuego (04-19-2019)

If you’re hungry enough anything can be appetizing, crickets, ants, termites, muskrats, pigeons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    If you’re hungry enough anything can be appetizing, crickets, ants, termites, muskrats, pigeons, etc.
    And marketable!

Metro Detroit Catholics permitted to eat rodent during Lent-d7fe0e58-7070-4283-812b-bad68f878f52-jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Highly Favoured (04-19-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    And marketable!

Metro Detroit Catholics permitted to eat rodent during Lent-d7fe0e58-7070-4283-812b-bad68f878f52-jpg
    Sorry! There is no way I could stomach creamed possum (if there is such a thing).
    If you put God First, you have Him at Last.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smitty For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (04-19-2019)

Ok, y'all I am *Gagging* and leaving this page forever!!! (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    So Krys.....Jeet yet?
    LOL...nope! I was born and raised catholic but never heard of this before, and I'm pretty sure my family wouldn't have touched it anyways!