Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2019

Gardening 2019

Lots of gardening work to be done this year. We're putting in an inground pool (the shell is in) and we took out five trees to do it. It just about killed me to take those trees out, but 3 were Norway maples—absolutely useless for birds and animals. One was the only surviving Scotch pine. I lost two in 4 years to nematodes. My neighbor is a pine near it that is just about gone, so I'm pretty sure that would have been next.

I'm plann8ng to replace with white pines, lindens (basswood), redbuds and other shrubs. All the deciduous trees have to be protected from our huge deer population. I learned that the hard way after the bucks shredded a few of my trees to death.

I'm also planning more lawn reduction and hope to plant native flowers. I have a pretty good sized raingarden with good success—little to no deer predation.

Last year’s rain garden
    Gardening 2019-896bae03-3870-4582-bca6-6b503a6f73c6-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    Last year’s rain garden
    Gardening 2019-896bae03-3870-4582-bca6-6b503a6f73c6-jpg
    Gorgeous, I hadn't heard of a rain garden before.

Blog Entries
    but 3 were Norway maples—absolutely useless for birds and animals. .

Can you explain the reason why

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Can you explain the reason why
    Birds and insects only inhabit the native species. Insects don't recognize non-native plants as food sources. Because there are no insects in these trees, the birds also don't inhabit them, make nests in them.

The reason for the popularity of Norway trees, Korean trees, Japanese trees (think Japanese maples) is because they don't have a single insect predator that eats its leaves or gathers pollen or other resources from it.

I feed the birds, and have been observant over the years. The Norway maples in my yard are devoid of life. The pines and other native trees are full of life: birds, bugs, etc.

Also, the deer don't eat the leaves of non-native trees. We have about 15-20 deer that go through our property daily. They never eat the non-native trees, but regularly browse on my native trees.

My oak trees (Michigan natives) are a host for moths, and some of the leaves get eaten. That's the purpose of trees. My redbud tree leaves are loved by deer, as are my serviceberry tree leaves. We obviously protect a lot of trees until they are able to endure the deer predation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Highly Favoured For This Useful Post:

Cardinal TT (04-19-2019)

Gardening 2019-d7fa7a16-b4af-4747-a457-5d2df4c3a0fa-jpg
    We are managing waterflow around our detached garage/barn. This dumps into the rain garden. Here you can see marsh iris poking up. I collect the rocks from around my property, and from new home construction sites. I need to dig these rocks out and get rid of the built up sediment, but that’s a project for when it’s not raining.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Highly Favoured For This Useful Post:

krystian (04-24-2019)

Gardening 2019-1f8fd001-0ad1-4e24-8946-52352d58a4a3-jpg
    Here’s another shot

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Plant some green beans....you'll have deer in abundance.

The Norway maples in my yard are devoid of life. The pines and other native trees are full of life: birds, bugs, etc.
    They can really be invasive too, lots of people hate them:

Norway Maple makes "Most Hated Plants" List

http://www.ecosystemgardening.com/no...ants-list.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Highly Favoured (04-25-2019)

Gardening 2019-d7fa7a16-b4af-4747-a457-5d2df4c3a0fa-jpg
    We are managing waterflow around our detached garage/barn. This dumps into the rain garden. Here you can see marsh iris poking up. I collect the rocks from around my property, and from new home construction sites. I need to dig these rocks out and get rid of the built up sediment, but that’s a project for when it’s not raining.
    Great ideas. Does it stay marshy without rain or does it completely dry out?