Good book on Pre-Trib

Another Look at the Rapture
    by Roy H. Hicks, D.D.

Foreword
    Acknowledgments
    Introduction
    1 Something Has To Happen Soon......................................13
    2 Paul's Special Revelation of the Rapture..........................21
    3 Rapture and Resurrection...................................... ............31
    4 2 Thessalonians 2................................................. ................39
    5 The Church Will Not Be Surprised...................................53
    6 Confusion Surrounding Matthew 24................................63
    7 The Book of Revelation........................................ ...............73
    8 As The Lightning .................................................. ..............85
    9 America In Prophecy.......................................... ................93
    10 Believing For Our Loved Ones......................................101
    Summary

From the Summary...

....Some people, arguing against the hope of the Rapture, believe that because the Church has not always taught and emphasized this truth, it is only a "Johnny-come-lately" doctrine. It has even been hinted that this is an American theological dream.

The doctrine of the Resurrection of the dead and the Rapture of the living has always been believed and written about. It was not emphasized for many centuries, and rightly so, because the Church then was hundreds of years away from the time it would happen. Also, then, as now, there was confusion between the Rapture and the Second Coming of our Lord. In the Rapture we rise to meet Him; in the Second Coming He comes to the earth to rule and to reign.

In regard to this great truth of the Rapture not being emphasized in certain periods of Church history, we must acknowledge that other great truths were also submerged at times. Justification by faith, baptism of the Holy Spirit, glossalalia, and divine healing in the Atonement were hidden from view during some periods of history. It is only right and proper for the Holy Spirit to greatly emphasize this great truth now because of the imminence of events leading up to a catastrophic climax.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryqze7rvxs...Hicks.pdf?dl=0

The problem with that summation is that no one is saying that there will not be a 2nd coming and a rapture of the church. The scriptural acrobatics used to prove the pre-trib theory are quite amazing. There is no single scripture which separates the coming of the Lord to gather His church from Him executing vengeance upon the ungodly and the sinner.

This doctrine was not sown into the USA until around 1830. Darby and Scofield are two of the main perpetrators. Darby's own partner in the Plymouth Brethren told him he needed to repent. Darby got the theory from the prophecies of a 15 year old girl whom the elders suspected was demonized.

Scofield's reference bible was the main vehicle used to sell this theory to the church in America.

This doctrine was passed on to Moody. The AOG did not have their own publisher when they first started, so they got their materials from Moody. That is when they bought into this doctrine.

The writings of the early church fathers show that they expected the church to go through the tribulation period and then would come the day of the Lord/2nd coming of Christ.

We started watching the documentary "Left Behind or Led Astray?" last night for bible study. Very good stuff. The first 3 chapters were packed full of history on this doctrines origins.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-18-2019), Smitty (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I only perused the chapter on Matt. 24, but if I read it correctly it seems he thinks Matt. 24 was referring to the Jews in their own time too. Not the church.
    Yes, Dispensationalism was birthed out of this whole theory in order to make things appear to "fit" together with scripture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 33 View Post
    The problem with that summation is that no one is saying that there will not be a 2nd coming and a rapture of the church. The scriptural acrobatics used to prove the pre-trib theory are quite amazing. There is no single scripture which separates the coming of the Lord to gather His church from Him executing vengeance upon the ungodly and the sinner.

This doctrine was not sown into the USA until around 1830. Darby and Scofield are two of the main perpetrators. Darby's own partner in the Plymouth Brethren told him he needed to repent. Darby got the theory from the prophecies of a 15 year old girl whom the elders suspected was demonized.

Scofield's reference bible was the main vehicle used to sell this theory to the church in America.

This doctrine was passed on to Moody. The AOG did not have their own publisher when they first started, so they got their materials from Moody. That is when they bought into this doctrine.

The writings of the early church fathers show that they expected the church to go through the tribulation period and then would come the day of the Lord/2nd coming of Christ.

We started watching the documentary "Left Behind or Led Astray?" last night for bible study. Very good stuff. The first 3 chapters were packed full of history on this doctrines origins.

Last edited by Nikos; 04-18-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    1. The Shepherd of Hermas (95-150)

The Shepherd of Hermas was written between 96-150 AD. This document provides a statement that resembles a teaching of a pre-trib rapture doctrine. Though it is not exactly as found in modern day scholarly pretribulational writings, it still shows that an idea existed in some degree that God's people could escape the future tribulation that was to come on the whole earth. The text reads:

"You have escaped from the great tribulation on account of your faith, and because you did not doubt in the presence of such a beast. Go, therefore, and tell the elect of the Lord His mighty deeds, and say to them that this beast is a type of the great tribulation that is coming. If then ye prepare yourselves, and repent with all your heart, and turn to the Lord, it will be possible for you to escape it, if your heart be pure and spotless, and ye spend the rest of the days of your life serving the Lord blamelessly."

This is not a systematic teaching, nor does it answer all of the questions that one may have. But it does give a reference to the possibility that God's people can escape the great tribulation.

2. Victorinus ( Well known by 270 and died in 303 A.D.)

Victorinus wrote a commentary on the book of Revelation. In one place he made an interesting statement that reflects his idea that the church would be removed prior to the tribulation. Of course his ideas were not systematic, and some will argue that he contradicts himself in other places, which may very well be true. But even with such an admission it still serves us well to see that early in the church history someone taught in some sense that God's church could escape the tribulation period by being removed from the earth. His commentary notes in Revelation 6:14 indicate a pre-trib reference of some sort:

"And the heaven withdrew as a scroll that is rolled up." For the heaven to be rolled away, that is, that the Church shall be taken away. "And every mountain and the islands removed from their places intimate that in the last persecution all men departed from their places; that is, that the good will be removed, seeking to avoid persecution.

This reference gives light into a developing idea in the earliest periods of the church. There was an idea that God's people could be spared the terrible time of wrath thatGod would pour out on the earth by removing the saints. The saint's departure from the earth would occur so they would not undergo the terible wrath at the beginning of the judgments of God upon the sinful unbelieving world.

I have over several years in church and on the internet witnessed the mocking and prideful condescending back and forth on this subject. I hope and pray this disagreement not be distracting us from our common enemy that wishes we lose sight of our mission and the need to preach to the lost.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-18-2019), curly sue (04-19-2019), Ezekiel 33 (04-19-2019), GodismyJudge (04-18-2019), Smitty (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    I have over several years in church and on the internet witnessed the mocking and prideful condescending back and forth on this subject. I hope and pray this disagreement not be distracting us from our common enemy that wishes we lose sight of our mission and the need to preach to the lost.
    Well said. I'm pre trib myself. Last night I read about 2/3 of the book online and it was clear to me. Condescension in threads is why I don't post much anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by curly sue View Post
    Well said. I'm pre trib myself.....and it was clear to me.
    Therein is the issue...every side believe its clear to them

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Therein is the issue...every side believe its clear to them
    That's the boat I jumped when trying to follow a discussion that involved several sides at the same time, back in 1997-98. It became clear to me that none of them were able to defend their position.

HEY NIKOS,

I love you brother!

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    This is definitely not a doctrine to break fellowship over. Debate is great. Discussion is great. Condescending pride, not so much.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-23-2019), Cardinal TT (04-19-2019)