Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar describes 9/11 attacks as 'some people did something'

Blog Entries

Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar describes 9/11 attacks as 'some people did something'

Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar is facing backlash after her speech at a Muslim rights group's event in which she described the September 11, 2001 terror attacks as "some people did something."

Omar spoke at a Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) fundraiser last month, where she called upon other Muslim Americans to "make people uncomfortable" with their activism and presence in the society and criticized the Jewish state.

But another part of the speech surfaced on social media earlier this week, in which Omar described the terror attacks perpetrated by al Qaeda.

"CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties," Omar said at the event.

The comments from the Minnesota freshman Democrat, still reeling from a number of anti-Semitic controversies, prompted Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw to slam Omar for her description of the terror attacks.

"First Member of Congress to ever describe terrorists who killed thousands of Americans on 9/11 as 'some people who did something,'" Crenshaw wrote in a tweet. "Unbelievable."

Others have also jumped on to criticize Omar's language, urging Democrats to condemn her remarks about the largest terror attack on U.S. soil that left nearly 3,000 people dead.

"9/11 terrorists & the terror attacks they conducted are described as simply 'some people did something'? Every Democrat should be asked by the media if they disavow @IlhanMN's statements. Every one of them," tweeted Andrew Pollack, father of a Parkland high school shooting victim.

"Ilhan Omar isn't just anti-Semitic – she's anti-American. Nearly 3,000 Americans lost their lives to Islamic terrorists on 9/11, yet Omar diminishes it as: 'Some people did something.' Democrat leaders need to condemn her brazen display of disrespect," said GOP chairwoman Ronna McDaniel.

CAIR has been infamously listed as an unindicted co-conspirator in funding of Hamas, stemming from the case against the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development which led to millions of charitable dollars getting funneled to the Palestinian terrorist organization.

Omar's speech at CAIR in Southern California drew hundreds of protesters waving Israeli flags and denouncing the congresswoman's comments about Israel that were perceived as anti-Semitic.

She first came under fire for tweeting in 2012 that "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel."

She then drew bipartisan uproar in February after she suggested politicians in the U.S. were bought by AIPAC, a non-partisan organization that seeks to foster the relationship between the U.S. and Israel.

Omar then reignited the controversy, saying groups supportive of Israel were pushing members of Congress to have "allegiance to a foreign country," echoing the anti-Semitic trope of dual loyalty.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilh...-did-something

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-11-2019), FireBrand (04-20-2019), Lindaeverchanging (04-23-2019)

She is literally the worst! A truly awful person.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:

Femme* (04-23-2019), Lindaeverchanging (04-23-2019)

Because of her ties with CAIR/Hamas/Muslim Brotherhood it is against our Constitution that she is holding any office, state or federal.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

Lindaeverchanging (04-23-2019), Romans828 (04-21-2019)

Did you see what the New York Post did with that? Good for them!

Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar describes 9/11 attacks as 'some people did something'-ny-post-ilhan-omar-640x480-jpg

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...error-attacks/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-12-2019), FireBrand (04-12-2019), Romans828 (04-21-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Did you see what the New York Post did with that? Good for them!

Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar describes 9/11 attacks as 'some people did something'-ny-post-ilhan-omar-640x480-jpg

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...error-attacks/
    Good for them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-12-2019), FireBrand (04-12-2019)

The woman is a TRAITOR and should receive a traitor's reward. I'm sure our forefathers are turning over in their graves as they watch the likes of her destroying our country.

I think that if you read her full speech, it's clear that she was not intending to diminish or make light of the 9/11 attack, or to in any way try to make excuses for what the attackers did. She mentioned the attack only because it resulted in backlash against Muslim Americans.

I think the most important part of her speech was the following:

"And so when people you know are having these conversations with me and they say you know, Ilhan, why do you criticize Muslims who were doing something? What is your problem with Arab countries, why are you always talking about this particular country and you're not talking about that particular country? My choice of a country to talk about, it's not my preference of country, it is based on what country is violating basic human rights.

"So it doesn't matter if that country is being run by my father, my brother, my sister, I will still criticize that country because I know every country is capable of living up to their best. Every leader has the ability to lead with compassion, to lead with justice. So it is important for us to recognize that and to make sure that we're not only holding people that we don't like accountable. We must also hold those that we love, have shared values with, accountable.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...did-something/

It could be interpreted as her describing 9/11 in neutral terms so as to offend no muslim in her audience, including fans of 9/11. This isn't uncommon among politicians in Muslim countries that don't wish to alienate their most extreme voters or fans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    It could be interpreted as her describing 9/11 in neutral terms so as to offend no muslim in her audience, including fans of 9/11. This isn't uncommon among politicians in Muslim countries that don't wish to alienate their most extreme voters or fans.
    That’s exactly what it was. Of course she didn’t care about offending the other side.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-22-2019), Romans828 (04-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    But she didn't describe 9/11 in any terms, she mentioned it in passing; it's very clear if you read the full speech.