Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar describes 9/11 attacks as 'some people did something'

Blog Entries
    This is what Ilhan said on 14 April 2019 -
    It's been a really hard week for the Muslim community.
    Really ...as hard as the Easter massacre of innocent mostly Christians and others of nearly 300 dead with 500 injured in Sri Lanka all done by radical Islam
    Seriously how bad can it get before the world and the useless UN address the major issues within Islam
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/pictured-m...104009101.html

What about African believers killed continuously by Muslims - https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...ans-in-nigeria

I am against the mistreatment of Muslims but they can't claim major victim-hood when fellow Muslims do horrendous atrocities against non Muslims around the world

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-22-2019), krystian (04-22-2019), Romans828 (04-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post

Really ...as hard as the Easter massacre of innocent mostly Christians and others of nearly 300 dead with 500 injured in Sri Lanka all done by radical Islam
    Seriously how bad can it get before the world and the useless UN address the major issues within Islam

What about African believers killed continuously by Muslims - https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...ans-in-nigeria

I am against the mistreatment of Muslims but they can't claim major victim-hood when fellow Muslims do horrendous atrocities against non Muslims around the world
    Make no mistake about it, Islam is the religion of the Antichrist. It is deception on an endtime scale that this is all taking place.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Femme* (04-23-2019), Romans828 (04-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by njtom View Post
    But she didn't describe 9/11 in any terms, she mentioned it in passing; it's very clear if you read the full speech.
    Fans of 9/11 would notice her wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post

They are just following their book like any good muslim would do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

Lindaeverchanging (04-23-2019)

This gentleman understands what the Congresswoman was saying:

I watched Ilhan Omar's recent address to the Council of American Islamic Relations for the same reason most people did: to see whether she had—as Donald Trump claimed—minimized the 9/11 terrorist attacks. What I found was unexpected. In offering a vision for how to live as an American Muslim, her speech to CAIR beautifully evoked what I treasure about being an American Jew.

Omar's core argument was simple: We Muslims are not guests here. We are as American as everyone else and, thus, we should bring our full selves into the public square. "For a really long time in this country," she said, "we have been told that there is a privilege that we are given and it might be taken away. We are told that we should be appropriate. We should go to school, get an education, raise our children and not bother anyone, not make any kind of noise, don't make anyone uncomfortable."

Many Jews who have lived outside the United States will instinctively understand what she meant. My father once told me that, after immigrating to the United States from South Africa, he was surprised to meet a Jewish police officer: He had assumed that American Jews, like their South African counterparts, stuck to business and the professions while leaving government service to the Christian majority. In 1994, The New Yorker's Calvin Trillin wrote about a controversy over the construction of an eruv (an enclosure designed to allow observant Jews to carry on Shabbat) in London. In explaining why many of the fiercest opponents of the eruv were Jews themselves, Trillin suggested that they worried that, by standing out, Jews might imperil their acceptance in English society. "English Jews felt they had been given a room in the house," the novelist Dan Jacobson told Trillin, "but were not part of the family." A Canadian Jewish friend, who marvels at how American Jewish groups unapologetically assert themselves in Washington, once told me such political boldness is harder in Canada because "we still consider ourselves guests in the queen's country."

This is the mentality Omar argued against. While keeping your head down so as not to provoke the majority might seem safer, she argued, it's actually more dangerous because only through political assertion can minorities safeguard their rights. "You can go to school and be a good student. You can listen to your dad and mom and become a doctor. You can have that beautiful wedding that makes mom and dad happy. You can buy that beautiful house," she told the audience at CAIR. "But none of that stuff matters if you one day show up to the hospital and your wife or maybe yourself is having a baby and you can't have the access that you need because someone doesn't recognize you as fully human. It doesn't matter how good you were if you can't have your prayer mat and take your 15-minute break to go pray."

Rather than living "with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen," Omar argued, American Muslims should "raise hell, make people uncomfortable"—just as African Americans and other discriminated-against minorities have. In so doing, they would inspire others to rally to their cause, because "once you are willing to stand up for yourself ... then others will show up for you."

With political assertion, Omar suggested, comes the political responsibility to oppose injustice even among your own people. It's sadly ironic that the only part of Omar's speech many Americans have heard is her reference to the September 11 attacks as "some people did something." Because, while Omar should have been more explicit in condemning 9/11 and warning about jihadist radicalization in the United States, she forcefully demanded that Muslims call one another to account. "It doesn't matter if that country is being run by my father, my brother, my sister," Omar declared in the last section of her speech. "I will criticize that country" if it is "violating basic human rights."

From a Jewish perspective, this too is deeply familiar. Jews often warn against airing communal dirty laundry. If you want to criticize Israel, they say, do so only within the family. But this argument holds less weight among American Jews than within other diaspora communities. Why are American Jews more willing to criticize Israel? In part because they are more secure and thus believe they can do so without inflaming anti-Semitism. Omar was urging Muslims to act with the same self-confidence: If you don't want to be treated like an outsider in America, don't act like one.

Near the end of her speech, Omar explained that rather than keeping her religion private, as both Muslims and Jews are often expected to do in Europe, she expresses it openly as a way of affirming that, in America, she need not hide who she is to enter the public square. "I tweet out verses of the Koran," Omar explained. "I say As-salaam alaikum and Alhamdulillah"—"Peace be unto you" and "All praise is due to God alone"—"because I want" Americans "to get comfortable" with "what they mean."

Listening to those words, I remembered a July night in 2004 when, after the speeches were done, 50 or so delegates went to the floor of the Democratic National Committee to sit and read the Book of Lamentations, as Jews do on the holiday of Tisha B'Av. Ilhan Omar envisions an America in which Muslims can one day do something similar. And every Jew who cherishes the opportunity America has given us to be fully, proudly, and publicly ourselves should be cheering her on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...o-cair/587131/

Blog Entries
    Ilhan Omar only 2 years ago in 2017 tweeted America is satan but the gullible will believe anything about her but the truth.

There are many decent Muslims living in western nations but IMO she is not one of them.
    BTW as a Muslim why is she living in satans kingdom of America

I personally knew a Muslim and he told me not to trust some of them and as behind the scenes they have ulterior motives

https://www.wnd.com/2019/04/omar-mad...ack-hawk-down/

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Colonel (04-23-2019), Ezekiel 33 (04-23-2019), Femme* (04-23-2019), Lindaeverchanging (04-23-2019)

"some people did something" is what Anders Behring Breivik's peers would say about what he did, without necessarily endorsing the details, just the willingness to act according to neo-Nazi ideology or some version of it.

I pray often that I don't allow racist or xenophobic attitudes to rise up in me, but if you are a Muslim, and your "bible" says all non-Muslims are infidels, and should either become Muslim or be put to death, and you truly believe that, then...

NO! - As a blood-bought Christian, I don't trust you at all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    "some people did something" is what Anders Behring Breivik's peers would say about what he did, without necessarily endorsing the details, just the willingness to act according to neo-Nazi ideology or some version of it.
    As a person who had nothing to do with 9/11, the Congresswomen isn't really obligated to condemn 9/11 in every speech, just as a German American isn't obligated to condemn the holocaust, and as a Southern American isn't obligated to condemn slavery and Jim Crow.

But in the world we live in, it seems to be expected that these condemnations be made, even by people who had nothing to do with the events. Not sure why, but it does seem like "guilt by association".

Quote Originally Posted by njtom View Post
    As a person who had nothing to do with 9/11, the Congresswomen isn't really obligated to condemn 9/11 in every speech, just as a German American isn't obligated to condemn the holocaust, and as a Southern American isn't obligated to condemn slavery and Jim Crow.

But in the world we live in, it seems to be expected that these condemnations be made, even by people who had nothing to do with the events. Not sure why, but it does seem like "guilt by association".
    One may believe whatever one wants, including about her "nottodaysatan" tweet about how bad the USA allegedly was in Somalia in 1993. "America is Satan" is an age old Islamic hate slogan against the USA.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (04-23-2019)