Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Job 11:13-19 NLT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    That's another typical misconception, that God was pleased with Job's entire speech just because he commends him in Job 42:7-8.
    I didn't say God was pleased with Jobs entire speech but there is more to it than what you conclude by assuming everything Elihu said was right.

Please don't jump to conclusions but read the comments more accurately

I am aware that Job did speak wrongly and repented but he never turned his back on God like you imply even slightly

I see no reason to believe that Elihu's words at the end of chapter 34 were incorrect at that specific time, which is after all of Job's speeches from chapter 3 to 31.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Quest (01-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    I am aware that Job did speak wrongly and repented but he never turned his back on God like you imply even slightly
    I said that Job didn't turn his back on God entirely. Then it's a matter of definition what turning one's back on God means. I've talked to people who were arguing about the book of Job whom I thought were full of hatred towards God either because they suffered or their loved ones had suffered and died. They kept up being religious but I doubt if they had any faith any longer beyond empty professions. They typically saw Job as the suffering super saint. I'd agree that Job had in no way turned his back on God like some of those had.
    Some of the "suffering for or like Jesus" theology that's out there, and I'm talking about the Protestant version, is pure poison and has the capacity to turn Christian's into what I described.

Job 32:6 So Elihu, the son of Barachel the Buzite, answered and said “I am young in years, and you are very old;
    Therefore I was afraid, And dared not declare my opinion to you.
    7 I said, ‘Age should speak, And multitude of years should teach wisdom.’

Many believe that the youngster Elihu wouldn't have spoken at all unless the Spirit of God had compelled him to do so :

Job 32:17 I also will answer my part,
    I too will declare my opinion.
    18 For I am full of words;
    The spirit within me compels me.
    19 Indeed my belly is like wine that has no vent;
    It is ready to burst like new wineskins.
    20 I will speak, that I may find relief;
    I must open my lips and answer.

Verse 18 and 19 use terminology that is used elsewhere about the Holy Spirit. He also serves as an example of :

1 Cor 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
    27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
    28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
    29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Blog Entries
    If we judge Job like Elihu did then we do well because Elihu was never rebuked and Job had to repent before he was healed etc
    WHAT did Job repent of?

Blog Entries
    I see no reason to believe that Elihu's words at the end of chapter 34 were incorrect at that specific time, which is after all of Job's speeches from chapter 3 to 31.
    BUT there was something...it is subtle....rather than being some personal SIN Job had committed and his 3 friends kept insisting he repent of....at a sit through reading all 4 seemed to be saying the same thing so what was different in Elihu's speech that prompted him to rebuke all three friends AND Job...

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    WHAT did Job repent of?
    Since God shows up only after Elihu has spoken and He doesn't refer to anything in particular that Job has said it would seem that Job repented of everything he had been saying from chapter 3 through 31. Not every last word I'm sure, but in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    BUT there was something...it is subtle....rather than being some personal SIN Job had committed and his 3 friends kept insisting he repent of....at a sit through reading all 4 seemed to be saying the same thing so what was different in Elihu's speech that prompted him to rebuke all three friends AND Job...
    What exactly the difference is between the speeches of Elihu and of Job's three friends is a very difficult question. To the point where I choose to simply read Elihu's words as inspired and take the others with a grain of salt. Including this quote from Eliphaz which sounds Jewish to me but not inspired :

Job 15:14 “What is man, that he could be pure?
    And he who is born of a woman, that he could be righteous?
    15 If God puts no trust in His saints,
    And the heavens are not pure in His sight,
    16 How much less man, who is abominable and filthy,
    Who drinks iniquity like water!"

That sounds like something out of the Talmud.