Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: God Hates Divorce?

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Not God's only alternative...
    Huh ? Since when did restoration and healing not require repenting from the sin that causes the problem ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

BAP (02-04-2019)

Your post has nothing to do with anything I am saying....I have not said or implied 'force'....what I try to get others to ponder is the power of God when we CHOOSE to be covenant keepers even when wronged...it obligates HIM...
    It doesn't obligate Him to override the adulterer's free will to not repent, just as He isn't obligated to override the sinner's free will to not repent and take up the faith. Just because someone decides to "obey God" and stay in a totally abusive marriage doesn't mean that God will now make the abuser repent of his or her sin and become normal. That's magic, not gospel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

BAP (02-04-2019)

Per Jesus created by Moses to accommodate the hardness of their hearts...
    And I take it you believe Hardened Hearts are no longer an issue ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    And I take it you believe Hardened Hearts are no longer an issue ?
    I think Quest’s point in reference to your question would be absolutely the Christian in the situation shouldn’t have one.

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I think Quest’s point in reference to your question would be absolutely the Christian in the situation shouldn’t have one.
    The hard hearted clause in Moses era was to protect the victim or the non guilty party from the hard hearted .

In essence instead of keeping a victim married in name only to a hardened person who neglected them, abused them , mistreated or in essence Put them Away. The hard hearted person was REQUIRED by law to grant a divorce so the victim was free to go remarry.

Point is the notion of hard heartedness does NOT apply to the non guilty party in a divorce case

The hard hearted clause in Moses era was to protect the victim or the non guilty party from the hard hearted .

In essence instead of keeping a victim married in name only to a hardened person who neglected them, abused them , mistreated or in essence Put them Away. The hard hearted person was REQUIRED by law to grant a divorce so the victim was free to go remarry.

Point is the notion of hard heartedness does NOT apply to the non guilty party in a divorce case
    Another way of seeing it is that Jesus' annulment of the law's divorce rights only applies when the parties involved don't continue in hard heartedness.

Mat 19:8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so."

Which at the very least requires actual repentance from wrongs committed.

I understand you won't respond and that is surely your choice...but to call my stance on the unlimited power of God 'religiosity' verifies you don't comprehend at all what I believe and am saying....Divorce is quitting....it is leaving a covenant because we no longer trust God to change the situation....I believe if we remain committed to be a covenant keeper we are now by faith releasing God to work miracles...quite the opposite of religion....
    But where did God promise to always change the situation when the scriptures repeatedly indicate that leaving is often a better option .

Berean Study Bible
    Proverbs 25:24 Better to live on a corner of the roof than to share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
    Proverbs 12:4 (GNT) A good wife is her husband's pride and joy; but a wife who brings shame on her husband is like a cancer in his bones.
    Why do you think you are wiser than the scriptures ?

But where did God promise to always change the situation when the scriptures repeatedly indicate that leaving is often a better option .
    Why do you think you are wiser than the scriptures ?
    The NT also says that the law is "good and holy". If today's culture had somehow demanded a higher standard than the Jewish culture of 1500-0 BC did (bondservitude is an example of that) then it could be argued that the law's rules on marriage should never apply to us, in the permissive sense. But that is not the case. There is no reason why God would ban all divorce proposed on the grounds of one or both being unrepentant abusers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    The NT also says that the law is "good and holy". If today's culture had somehow demanded a higher standard than the Jewish culture of 1500-0 BC did (bondservitude is an example of that) then it could be argued that the law's rules on marriage should never apply to us, in the permissive sense. But that is not the case. There is no reason why God would ban all divorce proposed on the grounds of one or both being unrepentant abusers.
    I wonder what Quest would say about this ?

Ezra 10:
    1While Ezra prayed and confessed, weeping and falling facedown before the house of God, a very large assembly of Israelites—men, women, and children—gathered around him, and the people wept bitterly as well.

2Then Shecaniah son of Jehiel, an Elamite, said to Ezra: “We have been unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women from the people of the land, yet in spite of this, there is hope for Israel. 3So now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all the foreign wives and their children, according to the counsel of my lord and of those who tremble at the command of our God. Let it be done according to the Law. 4Get up, for this matter is your responsibility, and we will support you. Be strong and take action!”

5So Ezra got up and made the leading priests, Levites, and all Israel take an oath to do what had been said. And they took the oath.
    Would she say they were hard hearted for not sticking with their heathen wives even though the counsel of the Lord said otherwise ?

I wonder what Quest would say about this ?
    Would she say they were hard hearted for not sticking with their heathen wives even though the counsel of the Lord said otherwise ?
    That's a good one. There was no option for the wives to convert to Judaism or otherwise become "worthy" of remaining in those marriages either. It was an unconditional command to divorce them.