Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric pressure cooker

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Never tried that. Just put it in there raw and let it cook, or brown up with the meat first?

I like beans, but not kidney beans. I've had chili with black beans in it a few time, not loaded though, and that was fine. But no beans in the chili for sure.
    Brown the bacon first... the only time I did it, I browned it first in a separate pan so I could scoop it out and leave the drippings behind.

I don't care much for chili, but that batch was great. I was cooking for our ALPHA, so I probably put kidney beans in it because that's what most people expect. I also put cumin in it (a spice) because that's what a lot of recipes call for... I scouted a bunch of recipes and kinda created from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    How do I get this into the Pressure cooker

Attachment 4108
    A special fitness program.

"Fitness this cow in that pot"

What made me think to post this was the 'what have you made to eat today' thread that I just posted a pic in. To make a long story short, we ended up with a new Crock Pot brand pressure cooker. It's not a crock pot, but Crock Pot brand, same as an InstaPot, but it's an electric pressure cooker. I'd always liked watching the pressure cooker infomercials and looking at all the good food they cooked. We've had it for several months, but I finally opened the box two or three weeks ago and tried it out.

I think the first thing I cooked was chili. Turned on the 'brown' option which allowed me to brown up the ground beef and small beef tips I like to put in for texture (along with onions, green peppers, etc), then dumped in the tomato sauce and all the other stuff and cooked it about 45 minutes under pressure to make sure the beef tips got good and tender. It was really good.

The next thing we tried was a pork butt to make carnitas. Cut the butt up into smaller pieces, browned it, put in spices, etc, and cooked 40-45 minutes. Fall apart tender. Then some chicken breasts and the same thing.

The great thing about it is that if you like to cook with a crock pot low and slow all day to make things tender, and we do, it shortens that time down to less than an hour in most cases. So you can decide you want one of those kinds of meals and you don't have to put it together in the morning and then cook it 6-8 hours. You put it together and it's done in most cases in less than an hour. Some in 20-30 minutes. So really no more need for the crock pot.

We've done several big chicken breasts for the third time already. Cook it up, eat what we want, then put the rest in the fridge to make different dishes out of all week and to help me with my low carb eating. You can have these great meals in a short time that used to take all day long in the crock pot.

I said all that to say this: yes, the pressure cooker has revolutionized the way we cook now.

First pic is some beef tips and pork chops cooked in the pressure cooker with cauliflower rice as a rice substitute. It's just cauliflower grated up like rice.

Attachment 4105

Attachment 4106

Attachment 4107
    I didnt know southern folk did chili.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    I didnt know southern folk did chili.
    Seriously? You know TX is the south too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (11-01-2018)

Seriously? You know TX is the south too.
    I suppose

Oklahoma does chili as well! I don't really care for beans in mine but sometimes use a can of beans to stretch a can of turkey chili.

Well, I did it... the 6qt Instant Pot was 50% off for Black Friday, so I bought one. Too bad I didn't go through ALL the fliers, though because apparently Walmart had the 8qt for about $16 less than I paid for mine. Walmart on Black Friday? Ummmm .... yaaaa...

Anyhow, I have it unwrapped and my old stove top pressure cooker is only 4qt so this is larger than that so it should be fine for the few things that I'll actually use it for. The old one always seemed just a little too small.

So, there we go. New cooking adventures for me!!!

ETA: I didn't make a trip into the city for it, I got my daughter to go get it for me on the Thurs. before Black Friday, so I didn't actually SAY it was one of my Black Friday scores because I didn't have to go get it myself ON BF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Well, I did it... the 6qt Instant Pot was 50% off for Black Friday, so I bought one. Too bad I didn't go through ALL the fliers, though because apparently Walmart had the 8qt for about $16 less than I paid for mine. Walmart on Black Friday? Ummmm .... yaaaa...

Anyhow, I have it unwrapped and my old stove top pressure cooker is only 4qt so this is larger than that so it should be fine for the few things that I'll actually use it for. The old one always seemed just a little too small.

So, there we go. New cooking adventures for me!!!

ETA: I didn't make a trip into the city for it, I got my daughter to go get it for me on the Thurs. before Black Friday, so I didn't actually SAY it was one of my Black Friday scores because I didn't have to go get it myself ON BF.

I made a comment in the cyber deal thread.

https://livingfaithforum.com/showthr...ll=1#post88331

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

A.J. (11-28-2018)

Never tried that. Just put it in there raw and let it cook, or brown up with the meat first?

I like beans, but not kidney beans. I've had chili with black beans in it a few time, not loaded though, and that was fine. But no beans in the chili for sure.
    You should probably make some white chicken chili then! YUMMMI!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 33 View Post
    You should probably make some white chicken chili then! YUMMMI!
    Like normal, except with ground chicken?

I made another batch yesterday. Only reason I use the pressure cooker for Chile is because I also put beef tips in it and the cooker gets them real tender.