Thread: Righteousness by faith in Romans

Righteousness by faith in Romans

There are two aspects to how God sees us and our sins. One is legal and the other one is relational. The Holy Spirit may be grieved by our sins (relational) while still functioning as the seal of our redemption and therefore of our righteous standing before God (legal). This post deals with the legal aspect.

Romans includes the most thorough discussion on the subject of righteousness in the legal sense. For instance :

Romans 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Verse 2 mentions a grace "in which we stand". It is not a fleeting thing that depends on whether we have sinned recently or if we have repented from recent sins. The verse also defines what is our access into this "grace in which we stand", we access it by faith. So as long as I am in faith then I stand in grace. This is a fundamental legal quality of the new covenant.

The past, present and future tense of forgiveness of sins is a much debated topic but if we concentrate on the legal aspect, which relates citizenship in heaven and does not include being exempt from temporary judgments, then the following verse deals specifically with that :

Romans 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
    And whose sins are covered;
    8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.”

Verse 7 can be interpreted as past tense only or as past and future tense. Verse 8 is however clear, it specifically includes the future tense, God will not impute sin in the future either. To whom ? To those who are righteous by faith like Abraham, that is the context of the surrounding chapter.

So sinning and failing to repent from that sin does not bring us out of a righteous standing by faith before God, in the legal sense. That is, if we still actually do believe. This is a very important point and is typically neglected by those who overemphasize the security of the believer. Faith isn't merely a mental alignment or an outward profession, it's a spiritual quality in the heart and our actions may affect it both in the positive and in the negative sense. When sin matures it gives birth to death as one scripture says. Harbor on sin or false doctrine for long or to a severe degree and it will eventually kill faith. How long it takes is guesswork. When someone says "maybe I'm living in sin but I do still believe" then the appropriate answer to that claim is "how do you know ?"

Blog Entries
    Saving faith is composed of information (knowledge of God's word), and personal trust. Instruction as how to "walk out my salvation" during my lifetime requires intellectual assent of what God says to do as a believer. A lack of knowledge of God's word will not produce a firm foundation. Scripture makes it clear that people are capable of honoring Christ with their lips while their hearts are far from Him. Lip service, with no manifestation of the fruit of faith, is not saving faith. Dead faith as described by James (2:17) is faith that does not profit. It is futile and vain and doesn't justify anyone. I understand that justification by faith is by faith alone. God imputes the righteousness of Christ to our account. The necessary condition for this is faith. Our righteousness is by imputation. God transfers to us, by faith, the righteousness of Christ.

Right doctrine, at least in the essential of God's word, is a necessary ingredient of saving faith. If our doctrine is heretical in the essentials, we will not be saved. It is absolutely necessary to have a correct understanding of the essential truths of the gospel to be saved. To have saving faith requires that we love the truth of what God says in His word and desire to live it out.
    If you put God First, you have Him at Last.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Saving faith is composed of information (knowledge of God's word), and personal trust. Instruction as how to "walk out my salvation" during my lifetime requires intellectual assent of what God says to do as a believer. A lack of knowledge of God's word will not produce a firm foundation. Scripture makes it clear that people are capable of honoring Christ with their lips while their hearts are far from Him. Lip service, with no manifestation of the fruit of faith, is not saving faith. Dead faith as described by James (2:17) is faith that does not profit. It is futile and vain and doesn't justify anyone. I understand that justification by faith is by faith alone. God imputes the righteousness of Christ to our account. The necessary condition for this is faith. Our righteousness is by imputation. God transfers to us, by faith, the righteousness of Christ.

Right doctrine, at least in the essential of God's word, is a necessary ingredient of saving faith. If our doctrine is heretical in the essentials, we will not be saved. It is absolutely necessary to have a correct understanding of the essential truths of the gospel to be saved. To have saving faith requires that we love the truth of what God says in His word and desire to live it out.
    False doctrine can kill faith just as a lack of correct information can hinder faith from coming about. There are many versions of "the essentials of the gospel" but I would be careful with defining exactly what is required for faith to come about or for faith to be killed again because God sees to the heart more than he sees to the mind. Actions may express faith or a lack of faith but then again it can be difficult to judge exactly what is going on. God knows what is going on of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    False doctrine can kill faith just as a lack of correct information can hinder faith from coming about. There are many versions of "the essentials of the gospel" but I would be careful with defining exactly what is required for faith to come about or for faith to be killed again because God sees to the heart more than he sees to the mind. Actions may express faith or a lack of faith but then again it can be difficult to judge exactly what is going on. God knows what is going on of course.
    I believe it would be fair to assume that faith and good works may be distinguished but never separated. Of coarse, good works do not merit salvation. The sole condition of our justification is our faith in Christ. If good works do not follow from our profession of faith, it is a clear indication that we do not possess justifying faith. Justification depends on true faith, which in turn will inevitably lead to works of obedience. Living faith produces good works, but these good works are not the basis for justification.

Though our good works do not merit salvation, they are the basis upon which God promises to distribute rewards at the bema seat of Christ. Our salvation rests in the finished work of Christ, through faith alone, yet our reward in heaven will be according to our good works.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I believe it would be fair to assume that faith and good works may be distinguished but never separated. Of coarse, good works do not merit salvation. The sole condition of our justification is our faith in Christ. If good works do not follow from our profession of faith, it is a clear indication that we do not possess justifying faith. Justification depends on true faith, which in turn will inevitably lead to works of obedience. Living faith produces good works, but these good works are not the basis for justification.

Though our good works do not merit salvation, they are the basis upon which God promises to distribute rewards at the bema seat of Christ. Our salvation rests in the finished work of Christ, through faith alone, yet our reward in heaven will be according to our good works.
    You seem to read James 2 as if faith refers to saving faith only. That is not the case, faith for healing is mentioned many times in the gospels and in Acts 8 where the cripple in Lystra was healed. And in many other contexts in Hebrews 11. The natural action accompanying saving faith is confessing this faith and not denying it before men, see for instance Romans 10:9-10. It doesn't necessarily include "every good work there is". "By their works you shall know them" is still true but in a more general sense.

Blog Entries
    You seem to read James 2 as if faith refers to saving faith only. That is not the case, faith for healing is mentioned many times in the gospels and in Acts 8 where the cripple in Lystra was healed. And in many other contexts in Hebrews 11. The natural action accompanying saving faith is confessing this faith and not denying it before men, see for instance Romans 10:9-10. It doesn't necessarily include "every good work there is". "By their works you shall know them" is still true but in a more general sense.
    I was merely emphasizing saving faith in regards to salvation. I most certainly adhere to faith for physical healing (Mt 8:17), needs supplied (Mt 6:31-34), finances (Lk 6:38), loved ones saved (Acts 16:31) etc. Yes, faith involves a much more spectrum of avenues in this life than salvation alone. I wholeheartedly practice faith as a lifestyle. The just shall live by faith (Heb 10:38).

The foundational principle of faith: faith must have the corresponding act of obedience to function and produce the intended divine result, or it remains dormant, inactive and dead, just as a body without a spirit is dead.

Whether faith for initial salvation (justification) or healing or anything we need that pertains to our life, this foundational principle (law) of faith must be employed.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
    Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
    For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:21-26

Everywhere we see great people of God operating by faith, we see that obedience to the word by which they received faith was present.

Example:

Healing -

And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. For she said to herself, "If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well." But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, "Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well." And the woman was made well from that hour. Matthew 9:20-22

again

Justification (initial salvation) -

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. Hebrews 11:8

(And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, "In you all the nations shall be blessed." So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.Galatians 3:8)

Righteousness -

Does this blessedness then come upon the circumcised only, or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. How then was it accounted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised. And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also, Romans 4:9-11

Abraham obeyed the voice of the Lord (from where he received faith) to be circumcised.

Again

Salvation -

But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10

JLB