Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Context the Only Thing?

Is Context the Only Thing?

Seems like Context/Context/Context is the big thing in discussing bible doctrines. But is it the ONLY thing? Seems to me there is more to the picture than JUST the immediate context. What would you add as pertinent factors in determining the purpose and import of Bible passages?

I suppose that depends on what you think does not qualify as a form of context.

When having your life revolve around the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, it becomes a matter of intimacy with Christ to open up our hearts to receive fresh impact and revelation in our studies of His Word. Apart from that we find ourselves as those Jesus spoke: You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. (Jn5:39)

Yes, context is important in study and foundational Word understanding, yet the Spirit can lift a single verse and bring life out of it to meet a need.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

diakonos777 (02-05-2021), Ezekiel 33 (10-01-2018), Jonathan david (10-20-2018), Quest (02-06-2021)

Context is a starting point, but some use it as an extreme limiting way. E.g. Jesus gave power to the apostles (in context), therefore it doesn't apply to other Christians because they are not "apostles."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan david For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (10-01-2018), FireBrand (09-30-2018), FunFromOz (02-05-2021)

Blog Entries
    Is a teaching literal or figurative
    Are some teachings applicable to specific dispensations or cover all of man's history and future
    Distinguish between specific instruction to individuals, everyone or intersection of both

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (10-01-2018), FireBrand (09-30-2018), Jonathan david (09-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan david View Post
    Context is a starting point, but some use it as an extreme limiting way. E.g. Jesus gave power to the apostles (in context), therefore it doesn't apply to other Christians because they are not "apostles."
    Precisely

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Jonathan david (10-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan david View Post
    Psalm 119:160 The sum of your Word is truth

(NASB and several other translations)

This is a starting point when it comes to context. The entire Bible serves as context for any passage. In this example, did Jesus give power to others than his 12 apostles ? Yes, he gave it to the seventy, the same way. He gave it to the 120 in the upper room. He gave it by the baptism of the Spirit to new converts in for instance Samaria in Acts 8. He talked about signs that will follow those who believe. He talked about our not lacking any spiritual gift until the second coming of Christ, in his letters to the Corinthians and so on. A limited or isolated reading of a passage can be a context-less reading of it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (10-18-2018), Jonathan david (10-01-2018)

A Few Rules for Bible interpretation:

1. Proper word definition. Always make sure that the Hebrew or Greek word used is properly translated. Do this by use of a lexicon. Be sure to check the most common translation of the word in question, as most words have more than one meaning and translation. Also seek the opinions of Hebrew and Greek scholars to obtain their input on the word in question.
    2. Proper context. Who is writing, and who are they addressing? What are the circumstances? What is the historical setting? What do other passages on the topic have to say on the matter? The Bible interprets Itself.
    3. Logic. If it makes sense to take a passage literally then you should. If it doesn't, then you look for a proper figurative interpretation that is consistent with the rest of the Bible.
    4. Interpret the unclear passages in the light of the clearer passages.
    5. Understand the precedents. When a precedent has been set for a word's meaning or inference, you should take the following occurrences in the same manner.

Above all, we should pray and seek the truth with pure hearts by the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Bible clearly shows us that people with impure motives will twist the Word to the destruction of themselves and those who follow them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jew and Greek For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (10-01-2018), Jonathan david (10-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jew and Greek View Post
    A Few Rules for Bible interpretation:
    4. Interpret the unclear passages in the light of the clearer passages.
    That one is often misapplied. People often take passages that seem to support their particular theology and then let them overrun any passages that don't seem to support their theology. Calvinism and Romans 9 is a good example of this. To most Calvinists it's clear as day that Romans 9 supports unconditional election. To me it's clear as day that it does not. Then when Calvinists attempt to overrun other passages by using their interpretation of Romans 9 as a basic premise then "all roads lead to Rome" and I find myself being forced to discuss Romans 9 for ages to get anywhere. This was typically the situation I found myself in when discussing theology 20 years ago.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (10-01-2018), Jonathan david (10-01-2018), Quest (02-06-2021)

I think I just discovered a great example of these things. There are a few on youtube claiming that the giants will again return in the last days. They use the passage where Jesus said that it will be just like in the days of Noah as one of their key passages. However, as I was thinking about these things it came to me that Jesus never once said anything about "when the giants return" and neither did any of the apostles in their writings. I also cannot think of any OT prophecy that says they will return. Therefore I would have to call "false doctrine" on these teachers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

Quest (02-06-2021)