Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aimee Semple McPherson, Everybody's Sister

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    One moment in the anointing and presence of God will change your life for ever. You never forget it.
    Hopefully it affected him in such a way that he made heaven.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (07-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Hopefully it affected him in such a way that he made heaven.
    He certainly didnt leave much for us to go on.

He certainly didnt leave much for us to go on.
    According to Wikipedia, it looks like he had a pretty loose sex life, but it says near the end of his life he returned to the Foursquare Church.

Quinn's first wife was the adopted daughter of Cecil B. DeMille, the actress Katherine DeMille; they wed in 1937. The couple had five children: Christopher (1939–1941), Christina (born December 1, 1941), Catalina (born November 21, 1942), Duncan (born August 4, 1945), and Valentina (born December 26, 1952).[25] Their first child, Christopher, aged two, drowned in the lily pond of next-door neighbor W. C. Fields.[25]

Anthony Quinn with Jolanda Addolori
    In 1965, Quinn and DeMille were divorced, because of his affair with Italian costume designer Jolanda Addolori, whom he married in 1966. They had three children: Francesco Quinn (March 22, 1963 – August 5, 2011), Danny Quinn (born April 16, 1964), and Lorenzo Quinn (born May 7, 1966).[citation needed]

In the 1970s, during his marriage to Addolori, Quinn also had two children with an event producer in Los Angeles named Friedel Dunbar: Sean Quinn (born February 7, 1973), a New Jersey real estate agent, and Alexander Anthony Quinn (born December 30, 1976).

By the 1990s, Quinn then had two children with his secretary, Katherine Benvin; daughter Antonia Patricia Rose Quinn (born July 23, 1993) and son Ryan Nicholas Quinn (born July 5, 1996).[15][26] His marriage with Addolori finally ended in divorce in August 1997. He then married Benvin in December 1997. Quinn and Benvin remained married until his death, in June 2001.

Death
    Quinn spent his last years in Bristol, Rhode Island. He died of respiratory failure, pneumonia and throat cancer on June 3, 2001 in Boston, Massachusetts at the age of 86.[3]

His funeral was held in the First Baptist Church in America in College Hill, Providence, Rhode Island. Late in life, he had rejoined the Foursquare evangelical Christian community. He is buried in a family plot in Bristol, Rhode Island.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bookman For This Useful Post:

fuego (06-07-2019), GodismyJudge (06-07-2019), Valiant Woman (07-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it looks like he had a pretty loose sex life, but it says near the end of his life he returned to the Foursquare Church.
    Thank you for posting that. That gives hope.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

fuego (06-07-2019), GodismyJudge (06-07-2019)

Nancy DuFresne wife of the late prophet Ed Dufresne has acquired the mansion Sister Aimee lived in.Much of it is a museum of her artifacts. https://www.charismanews.com/us/5084...-just-like-her

Very intriguing book but will say the first half was a better read than the latter half. Good insights on her split from the A/G, encounters with the KKK, her tireless drive for the baptism in the Holy Spirit and struggles in marriage. Great book. One of my elders saw it on my desk and asked if he could read it, saying he heard good things about her and wants to know more of the pentecostal revivalists from back then.
    I love reading reading about sister Aimee, Kathryn Kuhlman, and Maria Woolworth-Etter. I have bios about Kathryn & Etter, but not about Aimee. I only have God's Generals that has a section in the book about her life. Would love to read the book you're reading.
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    From an Instagram post:

healing_revival_tidbits
    Anthony Quinn, who became a member of the Angelus Temple at a young age, wrote the following about Aimee Semple McPherson in his memoirs in 1972: "Years later, when I saw the great actresses at work, I would compare them to her. As magnificent as I would find Anna Magnani, Ingrid Bergman, Laurette Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Greta Garbo, and Ethel Barrymore, they all fell short of that first electric shock Aimee Semple McPherson produced in me."

Anthony Quinn was so much in awe of Sister Aimee that he dared not look in her eyes because he was afraid she would be able to see his soul. One day, in the Angelus Temple, as he was blowing his saxophone at a rehearsal he sensed a presence behind him; it was Aimee. But he wouldn't look at her. During a pause, he looked over his shoulder and there she was, sitting right behind him, smiling. Their eyes finally met. "I felt no fear, no embarrassment, no awe - just complete acceptance. She smiled as if to say, "I know you. I like you." It was so simple." would later write Anthony Quinn. Aimee came to him and told him the following "I have the feeling that the Lord has singled you out to become a great preacher."

She then invited him to come preach with her the following week in the Mexican district. Quinn was only 14 at the time, in 1939, and he rode in Aimee's car as she drove to a tent revival on the East side of town. "It was as if I'd been waiting an eternity for such an acceptance". On the platform, Aimee apologized for not speaking Spanish and she asked the young Anthony, standing by her side, to help translate her sermon in spanish saying that one day, he would too become one of our great preachers. The boy was terrified "but when she put her hand on my shoulder, and an electrical charge went through me. I spoke loud and clear. I was her voice that night, the extension of that great power."

Anthony Quinn would not become a preacher, but he became a successful actor and he experienced the anointing of God that afternoon, on the platform when Aimee put her hand on his shoulder and he became for just a few minutes, her voice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaT_olHBk-/
    Wow! That is so touching! Too bad he didn't have anyone in his family to guide him in that direction. It's amazing how God's anointing stays in a person even if they don't fulfill the call on their lives. He was a wonderful actor. So believable in all of his roles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (07-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    I love reading reading about sister Aimee, Kathryn Kuhlman, and Maria Woolworth-Etter. I have bios about Kathryn & Etter, but not about Aimee. I only have God’s Generals that has a section in the book about her life. Would love to read the book you’re reading.
    I loaned out Etters book “Diary Of Signs and Wonders” but never got it back. Etter visited our sleepy little town of Petoskey, Mi on 2 occasions. A sister in our church, her grandmother got saved in those days and followed her. Sister Etter left behind a legacy in Bertha Turk-Hughey.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (07-31-2019)

I loaned out Etters book “Diary Of Signs and Wonders” but never got it back. Etter visited our sleepy little town of Petoskey, Mi on 2 occasions. A sister in our church, her grandmother got saved in those days and followed her. Sister Etter left behind a legacy in Bertha Turk-Hughey.
    She was powerful! Lot of tragedy happened in her life with family members, but she kept the faith.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (07-31-2019)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    She was powerful! Lot of tragedy happened in her life with family members, but she kept the faith.
    Yep. Except I believe she did blame God for the things with her family, something like to get her back on track or keep her on track. I might be wrong, but seems like I've heard that. Although like you said it didn't cause her to lose the faith even though she thought God did it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-01-2019)