Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chappaquiddick, the Film

Chappaquiddick, the Film

I’ve been trying to see the film Paul, Apostle of Christ since Easter, and haven’t seen it yet! Something always comes up, mostly timing or mistaking the time the film is showing. Ugh!

That’s what happened yesterday...We thought it started at 4:30, but we were 3 hours late because there was only one showing and it would be 4 more hours before we could catch it at another theater. Sooo, we settled on Chappaquiddick.

I hadn’t planned on seeing it until it got on Roku, but I’m now glad I got to see it. I think it was nicely done (acting, scenery, etc.).

But for me, being an old school, classic film buff that respects the old school actors, my favorite character in the film was Bruce Dern’s portrayal of Kennedy patriarch, Joseph Kennedy.

Even though his scenes were few, and he barely spoke (Kennedy in real life, had suffered a stroke and wasn’t able to speak clearly), his performance was powerful and the man became Joe Kennedy. It was a stellar performance and he certainly deserves an award of some kind even if it’s just a Golden Globe.

If you’re interested in the events surrounding the scandal, this film will answer a few questions and confirm some suspicions. I’d give it 3.9 stars out of 5.

When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

curly sue (04-15-2018), FaithfulOne (04-15-2018), Romans828 (04-16-2018)

Blog Entries
    I can see Bruce Dern being Joe. They do favor even before makeup.

I don't know if they portray this in the movie, or how they portray what happened, I assume Kennedy having an affair with Mary and being in the car with her, but as this film was being released a CIA agent came out and said that what really happened was that Mary felt bad or was drunk and went out and got in the back seat of that car to lie down. He said Ted "was romantically involved with the wife of a very powerful politician" and that's who he was in the car with and didn't know Mary was in the back seat, thus didn't abandon her. I don't know how reliable everybody considers that though...except the liberals and TMZ.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (04-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I can see Bruce Dern being Joe. They do favor even before makeup.

I don't know if they portray this in the movie, or how they portray what happened, I assume Kennedy having an affair with Mary and being in the car with her, but as this film was being released a CIA agent came out and said that what really happened was that Mary felt bad or was drunk and went out and got in the back seat of that car to lie down. He said Ted "was romantically involved with the wife of a very powerful politician" and that's who he was in the car with and didn't know Mary was in the back seat, thus didn't abandon her. I don't know how reliable everybody considers that though...except the liberals and TMZ.
    From the Teddy and Mary Jo characters conversations in the film, I’m thinking since she was Bobby’s secretary, maybe she had an affair with him. The film depicts her as being extremely upset over his death and not being able to fully move on from it, so Teddy kind of takes her into the fold of his inner circle of campaign workers.

It doesn’t appear that they were having an affair in the film, but it looks like the directors were hinting at it. That part of it was a little confusing. But his actions after the accident, depicted in the film, appear to want to make him sympathetic, which I didn’t care for.

It’s an interesting movie and I’m interested in what other Kennedy watchers think. I’m kind of a watcher of the Kennedys...I can’t help myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    I’m kind of a watcher of the Kennedys...I can’t help myself.
    Like watching a good train wreck?

Like watching a good train wreck?
    Noooo! I cheer for the kids, well, they’re no longer kids, but I grew up with Caroline and John Jr. I wanted them all to do well. Bobby’s kids as well.

When I was a kid, we went to see President Kennedy and I got to shake his hand as he was going by in the motorcade. My grandfather lifted me up so I could reach him. I still remember how it felt, he had a strong grip, but not too strong as to hurt. I was about 7, but I think that feeling will always be with me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (04-16-2018)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    Noooo! I cheer for the kids, well, they’re no longer kids, but I grew up with Caroline and John Jr. I wanted them all to do well. Bobby’s kids as well.

When I was a kid, we went to see President Kennedy and I got to shake his hand as he was going by in the motorcade. My grandfather lifted me up so I could reach him. I still remember how it felt, he had a strong grip, but not too strong as to hurt. I was about 7, but I think that feeling will always be with me.
    7 when Kennedy was still alive? Just how old are you girl?

I had just turned 10 when Prez Kennedy was assassinated, so I'm guessing VW and I are around the same age: FABULOUS!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (04-16-2018)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I had just turned 10 when Prez Kennedy was assassinated, so I'm guessing VW and I are around the same age: FABULOUS!
    I was 7. Sitting in my 2nd grade class, Mrs Handley, when it came over the speaker in the room. The principal 'streamed' the radio broadcast over the speaker.

Red face

7 when Kennedy was still alive? Just how old are you girl?
    Nun-ya

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I was born the exact same day and year as your friend.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (04-17-2018)