Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Life At The Lakehouse

We are getting dumped on. Just went for a peaceful country walk out front to snap a pic of our latest foot of snow coming down.

Life At The Lakehouse-56af7dd6-1c97-4273-88f8-de93e3b3eb9d-jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (02-15-2019), krystian (02-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    We are getting dumped on. Just went for a peaceful country walk out front to snap a pic of our latest foot of snow coming down.

Sure makes for a beautiful picture tho. :)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (02-15-2019)

Wolves!!!

Though we can hear them howling in the distance during summer months, I have had 2 very close encounters, one with an alpha or lone male (Jan ‘18) and 2 howling just 50yds to my “six” while bowhunting. Today was an incredible joy in seeing 3 wolves walking acoss the ice. I just flew out of my chair when through the binocs I saw the lead dog was bigger than the 2 following it and it was BLACK. Coyotes are not black. At a distance of 3/4mi I could tell they didnt have the coyote pointy snout. Even at this distance I could easily judge the size. This made my YEAR!

Now, I still need to see a cougar and the Lynx.
    Last edited by FireBrand; 02-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (02-17-2019), Ezekiel 33 (03-05-2019), Lista (02-21-2019)

I received a call from the DNR office about my wolf sighting. We chatted for nearly an hour about our wolf encounters. The officer asked me our location and then hearing where we live, he said “ohhhh yeah”. We both laughed. Joe also went on to tell me the DNR has trapped 2 coywolves, the wolf/coyote hybrid over near Indian River. I was telling him that I had a close encounter with a brindel colored coyote and found it to be acting totally unnatural for a coyote. He said my sighting of the 3 wolves on the ice may have been a mother wolf (black) in the lead with 2 coywolf offspring following. Interesting chat.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-05-2019)

Blog Entries

Because we don't get snow where I live my observations are
    1. There is built up snow on the balcony how do they get rid of that
    2. Are there rain gutters on the roof of the house and does the snow slide off the roof
    3. What are the 2 piles of snow at the front

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-05-2019), FireBrand (03-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Because we don't get snow where I live my observations are
    1. There is built up snow on the balcony how do they get rid of that
    2. Are there rain gutters on the roof of the house and does the snow slide off the roof
    3. What are the 2 piles of snow at the front
    Great questions!

1. Snow on the balcony presents no danger of damage. Just let it melt in the spring.
    2. Yes, a very good gutter, drain system. The snow on the roof will stay until it melts but we have come to the point of questioning if it should be shovelled off. Most homes with less pitch angle cant support huge amounts so they are shovelled clear.
    3. The two piles are on the deck. You are seeing where I shovelled a path out of the front door (slider) and thats where I have been throwing it to each side. You should see them now. We have had yet another foot of snow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-05-2019)

Blog Entries
    Great questions!

1. Snow on the balcony presents no danger of damage. Just let it melt in the spring.
    2. Yes, a very good gutter, drain system. The snow on the roof will stay until it melts but we have come to the point of questioning if it should be shovelled off. Most homes with less pitch angle cant support huge amounts so they are shovelled clear.
    3. The two piles are on the deck. You are seeing where I shovelled a path out of the front door (slider) and thats where I have been throwing it to each side. You should see them now. We have had yet another foot of snow.

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (03-01-2019)

The roof on my two storey townhouse is perfectly flat. The admins are in charge of everything external on the buildings but they don't tend to do anything about the snow on the roof. I suppose it never goes much beyond two feet in depth. My 1,000 sqft garden is a sorry sight with all the snow, except for the 60 foot birch tree near the fence. My attitude in relation to the snow is "let it melt eventually" except for the two feet distance from my front door and to the local street which gets an occasional shoveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    The roof on my two storey townhouse is perfectly flat. The admins are in charge of everything external on the buildings but they don't tend to do anything about the snow on the roof. I suppose it never goes much beyond two feet in depth. My 1,000 sqft garden is a sorry sight with all the snow, except for the 60 foot birch tree near the fence. My attitude in relation to the snow is "let it melt eventually" except for the two feet distance from my front door and to the local street which gets an occasional shoveling.
    The eventually part is what we hope for. Warm is nice but no 50deg rainy nights lest it leave us with flooding. Just the sun alone is knocking the banks down.

The two piles are on the deck. You are seeing where I shovelled a path out of the front door (slider) and thats where I have been throwing it to each side. You should see them now. We have had yet another foot of snow.
    New pic needed! What do you with the excess snow when the pile gets too high?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    My 1,000 sqft garden is a sorry sight with all the snow, except for the 60 foot birch tree near the fence...
    I don't think you've ever posted a local pic let alone of your garden...you're overdue.