Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Life At The Lakehouse

Life At The Lakehouse

Late Sept last year we moved from our comfy townie home and moved to a very secluded, ruggedly gorgeous place on the shores of Larks Lake. Our first week here while having morning coffee getting ready to head off to my new office, a black bear saunters by the front deck. I hollered at my wife in the kitchen but to our astonishment neither of us could get a picture. The home was generously provided to us to rent and is sitting on 30ac with huge yard space.

It’s a sportsman’s paradise bordering the largest and most impenetrable swamp in the county which to my delight I hunt quite alone. I frequently hear wolves in the night and was trailed by a pack of coyotes while dragging a bloody deer out of the swamp.

One thing is for sure, you just never know what you might see or hear at the lakehouse. Pics will be posted as they are taken.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-15-2018), Ezekiel 33 (04-18-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018), sojourner (04-14-2018)

We have a crazy active birdfeeder overrun with the delightful Chickadee and various other species of birds. I guess I shouldnt have been so surprised to see a Northern Shrike perched on a powerline near the feeder. I have only seen them twice over the past 15 years, that is until seeing one today. They are a distinctively marked small songbird with a hawk-like beak. They savor munching on chickadees. Very stormy day and there it was watching the birds. They kill by biting the vertabrae on mice and smaller birds. They will then carry them to a thorn, spike or piece of barbed wire to impale them to be eaten later.

Here is a pic (not mine)...
    Life At The Lakehouse-299150c8-3151-4f58-8935-e423000ad174-jpeg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Late Sept last year we moved...

...bordering the largest and most impenetrable swamp in the county... I frequently hear wolves in the night... was trailed by a pack of coyotes while dragging a bloody deer out of the swamp.

Pics will be posted as they are taken.
    You've been there over half a year already and no swamp pics yet?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    You've been there over half a year already and no swamp pics yet?
    Our archery deer season begins on Oct 1 so I didnt have time to properly set up but did end up with two deer in the freezer and another given to me. Here is a photo of the huge 6pt in my backyard where they come across the road from the Pleasantview Swamp. We saw this our first week and a month out from Oct 1 opener. Here it is though a poor pic you can see how wide and tall the rack is:
    Life At The Lakehouse-6ef8f5f4-b3c1-4380-b4d1-283292b23252-jpg

This turned out to be the dominant buck. I have been tracked by him at each of the 3 blinds locations, often with shredded trees. He clearly did not want me to be there yet he never gave me a shot. Check out how much damage he did to this tree very much similar to a brush hog by the road commission.
    Life At The Lakehouse-cfa3b6a2-5827-4bc8-b498-c73566824a89-jpg

And here is a look at my favorite hunting site where this year I’ll be up a tree instead of in a groundblind...
    Life At The Lakehouse-fd5c2992-28e0-4eca-be7f-da2133755941-jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-15-2018), Ezekiel 33 (04-18-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018), krystian (04-14-2018)

How fortunate you are! I could sit out in a natural setting all day. Beautiful bird!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (04-14-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Here is a pic posted on another thread to give an impression of how remote our location. Though we have a very busy local favorite bar/restaurant next door, we have neighbors on the 8mi drive around the lake. This is the road our home is located on. This was taken a few weeks back during a 40f thaw on a gorgeous morning.
    Life At The Lakehouse-fb541840-43fd-4cb2-ac17-dbf5965f21f6-jpg

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

curly sue (04-16-2018), Ezekiel 33 (04-18-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Nice show and tell.

As to this:

...very much similar to a brush hog.
    I know you're talking about a different kind of hog but it reminded of the wild boars you used to post about. Did you ever wind up seeing any? Ever get any?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (04-15-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Nice show and tell.

As to this:

I know you're talking about a different kind of hog but it reminded of the wild boars you used to post about. Did you ever wind up seeing any? Ever get any?
    Havent seen any wild hogs up here. I’m working on getting a trail camera up before season. We have more wolf and cougar sightings than we do feral/wild hogs. Sure would like to see one while hunting.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Blog Entries
    Sure would like to see one while hunting.
    The safest option if you are referring to wolves and cougars, since you'd have your gun with you.

Speaking of that, do you always carry a pistol when you go out wandering and not hunting just in case?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (04-15-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    The safest option if you are referring to wolves and cougars, since you'd have your gun with you.

Speaking of that, do you always carry a pistol when you go out wandering and not hunting just in case?
    I never go in without without firepower and keep a sharp look over my shoulder. Cougars in the woods bother me more than wolves and bears.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

A.J. (04-15-2018), FresnoJoe (09-02-2018)