Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Life At The Lakehouse

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    As pretty as they are, I'm grateful there are not more of them. Blue Herons can put a dent in fish numbers on small lakes.

Attachment 5197

Attachment 5198
    They can put a dent in koi ponds too. I know of a couple of people around here who have had to string netting a few feet above theirs to stop their pilfering. Its kind of amazing because we're kinda city-ish and there aren't many around, what do they do, smell the fish from afar?

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    They can put a dent in koi ponds too. I know of a couple of people around here who have had to string netting a few feet above theirs to stop their pilfering. Its kind of amazing because we're kinda city-ish and there aren't many around, what do they do, smell the fish from afar?
    maybe??

They are attracted to any body of water no matter the size. I have found small perch in small ponds and even puddle size ponds that dot the lowlands. Ducks carry fish eggs from place to place. Sooooo, my guess is that Herons have that sense built into them.

Blog Entries
    Didn't I see one of those in a Warner Bros cartoon where he swallowed a frog and before he could swallow him while the frog was in him mouth, the frog reached out and squeezed his neck where he couldn't swallow him?

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Didn't I see one of those in a Warner Bros cartoon where he swallowed a frog and before he could swallow him while the frog was in him mouth, the frog reached out and squeezed his neck where he couldn't swallow him?
    You might be right

Our resident possum trying giving the live trap a go...
    Life At The Lakehouse-8590fcc4-6682-4ad2-a69c-9d97e404cfea-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Our resident possum trying giving the live trap a go...
    Life At The Lakehouse-8590fcc4-6682-4ad2-a69c-9d97e404cfea-jpg
    I've live trapped them before too but I don't think I'm going to it anymore. The more I'm learning about them the more I realize how good they are for the yard especially in regards to the multitudes of ticks they consume, and they never get rabies either. Even tho they look it they're not at all vicious either unless cornered and feel threatened, the last one I caught and released was as sweet as could be. There's even a guy in the neighborhood who's known for rescuing ones that are injured or stuck in a fence or something and he just gently picks them then videos them loose in his truck petting them in the front seat! :)

13 Facts About Opossums

-Opossums, which include the roughly 100 species in the order Didelphimorphia, are some of the most misunderstood animals in the Americas. They’re often thought of as dimwitted, dirty creatures whose most impressive trick is acting like roadkill. The truth is just the opposite: Opossums are smarter, cleaner, and more beneficial to humans than many of their woodland neighbors. Read on for more opossum facts...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54490...about-opossums

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I've live trapped them before too but I don't think I'm going to it anymore. The more I'm learning about them the more I realize how good they are for the yard especially in regards to the multitudes of ticks they consume, and they never get rabies either. Even tho they look it they're not at all vicious either unless cornered and feel threatened, the last one I caught and released was as sweet as could be. There's even a guy in the neighborhood who's known for rescuing ones that are injured or stuck in a fence or something and he just gently picks them then videos them loose in his truck petting them in the front seat! :)

13 Facts About Opossums

-Opossums, which include the roughly 100 species in the order Didelphimorphia, are some of the most misunderstood animals in the Americas. They’re often thought of as dimwitted, dirty creatures whose most impressive trick is acting like roadkill. The truth is just the opposite: Opossums are smarter, cleaner, and more beneficial to humans than many of their woodland neighbors. Read on for more opossum facts...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54490...about-opossums
    I only kill raccoons and skunks in the live trap. Cool little guy.

Look at the size of this Trash Panda. Not sure how it crammed itself into that trap.

Life At The Lakehouse-5b16806c-b695-412a-919b-2a3e0059d513-jpg

I deliberately take this route due to so many bear sightings down by the river and swamp, hoping to see a bear on the road. This morning was my day. I saw it quite a ways out and crept up with the car while getting pics through the windshield. Ended up within 75yds and when I got out, the bear sauntered off into the thickets. This was a few miles down the road.

Life At The Lakehouse-cc4eb0af-0e2e-402c-ba9c-98f31dcbe417-jpg

Life At The Lakehouse-cc4eb0af-0e2e-402c-ba9c-98f31dcbe417-jpgLife At The Lakehouse-972b7913-e10b-494e-a139-4200573b63a5-jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

fuego (08-19-2019)

Blog Entries
    Cool!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FireBrand (08-20-2019)