Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Blog Entries
    FRIDAY

Nikos,
    re: "FRIDAY"

How do you account for the lack of a third night?

What we do know is that Jesus rose on Sunday morning, probably when the Sabbath day had just ended which would be at 6 AM.

Mat 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.
    2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it.
    3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men.
    5 But the angel answered and said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said.

He died on preparation day :

John 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

If there had been a day between preparation day and the Sabbath then there would be no point to what they did.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Quest (11-21-2018)

Blog Entries
    A hebrew idiom - any part of a day or night constituted a full day per traditional Jewish teaching (and the Talmud).

So - Jesus died Friday before sundown (before the Sabbath) and was burried (1 day), Jesus remains buried Friday through Saturday sundown (2 day), Jesus is resurrected on Sunday morning ("on the third day" - which per the idiom is a day and night (a full day).

This actually is what harmonizes the verses which say Jesus arose "on the third day" with "three days and three nights".

Friday day(12am - 6pm) and Friday evening(6pm - 12am) = 1st day

Saturday morning(12am - 6am) and Saturday day(6am - 12am) = 2nd day

Sunday morning(12am - 6am) and Sunday day is part of the morning(12am - 12am) = 3rd day

Nikos,
    re: "A hebrew idiom - any part of a day or night constituted a full day per traditional Jewish teaching (and the Talmud)."

Are you implying that it was common usage to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

Blog Entries
    I have given my answer. I will not debate it.

Nikos,

I'm not looking for a debate. I'm simply asking you a question.

Blog Entries
    I have given my answer. I don't want to go any farther with this subject.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I'm struggling to believe Friday was the day as its too short

Nikos,
    re: "Thank you!"

For what?