Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Lista,
    re: " Which makes me curious....you've had several people respond with scriptural backing for their positions."

Their positions have dealt with issues for a different topic.

re: "Are you looking for someone to comment on the colloquialism aspect of your discussion?"

I'm looking for examples to show that it is a common figure of speech/colloquialisn. See post #1.

re: "...do you want someone to disagree...?"

No, not for the purpose of this topic.

re: "...so you can point out why you're right?"

Right about what?

re: "(I'm a curious person)"

As am I - that's why I started this topic.

Someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

Lista,

You have a question directed to you in post #41.

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    Lista,

You have a question directed to you in post #41.
    Based on your wording it appears that you believe it was only 2 nights, so not a commonality.

Lista,
    re: "Based on your wording it appears that you believe it was only 2 nights..."

Yes, that's what I said. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection only allows for 2 nights to be involved.

re: "...so not a commonality."

I don't see why that follows. Please explain.

rstrats, are you a religious person ?

Colonel,
    re: "rstrats, are you a religious person ?"

I do not curently have a belief in a supreme being. Any particular reason for asking in so far as it concerns this topic?

Colonel,

I do not curently have a belief in a supreme being. Any particular reason for asking in so far as it concerns this topic?
    Why do you take such interest in a detail like this ?

Colonel,
    re: "Why do you take such interest in a detail like this ?"

Out of curiosity. If someone who is a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period, I would simply like to know what examples they have in order to legitimately say that it was common.

And I think it's more than a detail. The scribes and Pharisees asked the Messiah for a sign from heaven, seemingly as a proof of His authority. He said that the sign would be His time in the 'heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights. So if He was wrong about that, His authority could very well be questioned. Seems pretty important to me.

And I still do not see what I wrote that made you feel the need to ask if I was a religious person.

Colonel,

The larger, more important issue here then is if you believe that Jesus Christ has been risen from the dead.