Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Father, the Son and the Holy Bible

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan david View Post
    This is a very good spot to define/apply what we mean by using the Word as "validation."

Using Fuego's example:

I would use the Word in the following way in support of Fuego's friend highlighted elements (You all know the verses, you Bible scholars):
    GENERAL PRINCIPLES
    - Visions are biblical
    - God speaks to his people in many ways, even audibly, all through Scripture (even a donkey)

SPECIFIC INSTANCE (CONTENT)
    - Fiery Letters "ACTS" is an "amplified" Biblical "vision", with no contradiction
    - God's audible statement is not counter-biblical, but "explanatory" and "interpretational" and is in reasonable harmony with how we should view Scripture in the spiritual realm

It's these instances that God has full prerogative to speak any message any way he wants. I would posit that we often WILL NOT find the exact instance in the Bible that we are experiencing, because there are billions of situations that it CANNOT cover.

There is no specific Bible verse that the Holy Spirit will impress me to STOP my car at a green light and I don't know why. (Then 2 seconds later a speeding car speeds across the intersection that would have been certain death).

But, again there are general principles that do validate my hearing from God , that the Holy Spirit will give me DIRECT and IMMEDIATE INSTRUCTIONS at any given time to guide, direct and protect me, as he gave instructions to Cornelius in Acts 5.

1 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3 One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!” 4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. 5 Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. 6 He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

Another takeaway is that Cornelius was in-tune with God, being devout and a man of prayer. People in that flow will be more like the "sheep who hear God's voice," who have an affinity and confidence in recognizing that voice, and thereby not so easily swayed by the wrong voice.

We may
    Good post. "We may..." Go ahead and finish.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-01-2018), GodismyJudge (04-30-2018), Jonathan david (04-30-2018)

JD be preachin’ up in here.

Not merely using the Word to validate, in that we must prove what God is doing and saying. There is a people that (like Cornelius) that will function in the Word, using it to affirm and confirm. To those that endeavor, strain, press into it, these will know a few things because they have seen a few things.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-01-2018), Jonathan david (05-01-2018), Quest (05-01-2018)

One of my favorite examples is Acts chapter 8. God uses an angel to send Philip to the desert. Then THE SPIRIT tells Philip to overtake the chariot, and then the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away and he appears in a town several miles away.

How many testimonies are out there like this one that have happened in the past 2000 years? I would guess that there are lots of them, because "as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

Jonathan david (05-01-2018), Quest (05-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 33 View Post
    One of my favorite examples is Acts chapter 8. God uses an angel to send Philip to the desert. Then THE SPIRIT tells Philip to overtake the chariot, and then the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away and he appears in a town several miles away.

How many testimonies are out there like this one that have happened in the past 2000 years? I would guess that there are lots of them, because "as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God."
    And there was no scriptural precedent for that experience....so I guess that wasnt a reliable testimony.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    And there was no scriptural precedent for that experience....so I guess that wasnt a reliable testimony.
    Actually there is :

Ezek 3:14 So the Spirit lifted me up and took me away, and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit; but the hand of the Lord was strong upon me.
    15 Then I came to the captives at Tel Abib, who dwelt by the River Chebar; and I sat where they sat, and remained there astonished among them seven days.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-03-2018), GodismyJudge (05-01-2018), Quest (05-01-2018)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Actually there is :

Ezek 3:14 So the Spirit lifted me up and took me away, and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit; but the hand of the Lord was strong upon me.
    15 Then I came to the captives at Tel Abib, who dwelt by the River Chebar; and I sat where they sat, and remained there astonished among them seven days.
    Exactly....God wants us to be in tune with His Spirit and there is only 1 way to KNOW we are...the scriptures...I believe all such experiences, IF the Spirit, He will affirm with scripture. Jesus referred to Torah writings in several situations to affirm His actions and/or words verifying they knew the scripture text but not the spiritual message embedded in them. So I agree He may affirm with passages that have been interpreted differently by theologians but everything He does and says will always have the second witness...when we stop relying on the second witness we are SO susceptible to misleading voices..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

curly sue (05-01-2018)

But my point being (though incorrect as it was pointed out)....is there will be manifestations and experiences in the Spirit for which you may not find a satisfying correlation, validation. That point still stands.

Trouble with this is, we CAN have a manifestation/experience and not find it in scripture because we cant see it plainly explained in the manner that feeds our conflict. See, these things of the Spirit are badly lacking in Church.

I know, this is my current station and assignment. I have been tasked with teaching Spirit basics to a church that has shut the door on the Gifts and expressions of the Holy Spirit.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-03-2018), Quest (05-01-2018)

But my point being (though incorrect as it was pointed out)....is there will be manifestations and experiences in the Spirit for which you may not find a satisfying correlation, validation. That point still stands.

Trouble with this is, we CAN have a manifestation/experience and not find it in scripture because we cant see it plainly explained in the manner that feeds our conflict. See, these things of the Spirit are badly lacking in Church.

I know, this is my current station and assignment.
    God is all capable and John 21 says that there were lots of things that Jesus did that were not recorded in the gospels. So a better rule is to see if something is in conflict with the testimony of scripture. And even if it technically isn't, what is the spirit of it ? Is there a gospel oriented purpose to it ?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Quest (05-01-2018)

Blog Entries

I know, this is my current station and assignment. I have been tasked with teaching Spirit basics to a church that has shut the door on the Gifts and expressions of the Holy Spirit.
    True...The Bible did not tell you to go there...the affirmation of scripture is that HE does send us and we are to be led by HIM ....

So the extreme comparison is God would never tell a person 'so in so's spouse is supposed to be yours...so while all the Spirit speaks may not be affirmed to the letter they will be affirmed by His character and other similar actions...if my dog talks to me I know that CAN be God...but what my dog SAYS must also be affirmed as well...

This is the wisdom aspect...the Spirit speaks and confirms through scripture by wisdom...the application of knowledge..but if we don't ask for and desire that scriptural affirmation we are at greater risk...like hearing and rolling the dice...The Spirit spoke to me years ago when I questioned Him on this...I was asking HOW do we avoid deception when our nature is inclined to it? He spoke to me of the witness...He is not insulted that I expect Him to confirm with scripture witness...nor is it doubt...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-03-2018), FireBrand (05-01-2018)

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    You'll hear more if you keep some boundaries (the Word).

I'm not saying you have to search out scripture if you are quickened to stop at a green light or anything like that. We know that He keeps us safe, that is in bounds.

I've just seen and heard too much disconnect between what people think the "Lord said" and what He really said. Those who value the word, keep a hedge don't go flaky. I think somewhat in terms of wine and bread, too much of one and you are either too dry or too drunk.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (05-03-2018)