Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Yard, Summer 2015

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me! Sometimes just a nice foundation of stone or pea gravel can be a good base to work with, without planting at all. Adding chairs, and side tables and personal items of interest can make a shady place so inviting! Your overheated and sunned-out friends would love to visit in the cool shade of your yard!
    hmmmmm....that has potential! This was my backyard in the Winter when I first moved here 5 years ago: (sorry....the pic was too large, so I'm including a link instead) http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...backcorner.jpg

I've put in several shrubs, and perennials/bulbs since then, so it doesn't look nearly as bare. BUT, thinking about your suggestion, I wonder if I brought that shade area out further into the yard (digging up part of the grass) and took my wrought iron table and chairs down there, if it wouldn't become a more usable space? Not to mention it would mean I need new deck furniture...a win-win situation if I ever saw one!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post
    hmmmmm....that has potential! This was my backyard in the Winter when I first moved here 5 years ago: (sorry....the pic was too large, so I'm including a link instead) http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...backcorner.jpg

I've put in several shrubs, and perennials/bulbs since then, so it doesn't look nearly as bare. BUT, thinking about your suggestion, I wonder if I brought that shade area out further into the yard (digging up part of the grass) and took my wrought iron table and chairs down there, if it wouldn't become a more usable space? Not to mention it would mean I need new deck furniture...a win-win situation if I ever saw one!
    Nice, you have no neighbors behind you...is that a little creek back there too?

There are lots of shade perennials available including different kinds of hostas:

My Yard, Summer 2015-shade-garden-ideas-4-jpg

What did you plant, do you have an 'after' pic?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post

Oh, yes! You have so much wonderful potential there! It's gorgeous!!! I am sure now that winter's on its way, you can spend some time planning and dreaming. That's what I'm doing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Nice, you have no neighbors behind you...is that a little creek back there too?

There are lots of shade perennials available including different kinds of hostas:

My Yard, Summer 2015-shade-garden-ideas-4-jpg

What did you plant, do you have an 'after' pic?
    What a wonderful photo...whose yard is that?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lively Stone For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    K...I'll have to post an after pic in the Spring...I just went through and butchered it with the loppers, and pulled out all the weeds, so right now it looks like a barren waste-land.

I'll post a before and after of the front yard when it's in full bloom...I love it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)