Thread: Standing vs sitting all day and heart disease

Standing vs sitting all day and heart disease

-Standing all day at work makes you twice as likely to develop heart disease than sitting, experts say.

Desks that allow workers to stand all day are a new trend to promote healthy living and prevent people from sitting through an entire work shift.

But a new study warns standing all day actually carries its own dangers.

Research by scientists in Ontario, Canada, revealed that people were more likely to develop heart disease, back problems and even spontaneous abortions if they are predominately standing all day.

Standing causes blood to pool down towards the legs putting more stress on the heart to circulate it back up.

Experts recommend people in predominately standing jobs to find moments to sit in order to prevent the risk of developing heart disease...

...The researchers took into account body mass index, physical demands of work and socio-demographic variables when analyzing each participant.

And the results still showed that standing was more damaging to someone's health than sitting while at work.

Prolonged standing on the job has been linked to a variety of health problems...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...tand-work.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-06-2017)

Blog Entries
    So again we see that we need to be temperate and balanced....

Were the standing style desks designed for people who have back problems and sitting causes them distress? I know the firm I worked for brought in one for one of our architects who had back problems...

I think they are good for people who will use them for relief and stretching and diversity....

Good point that standing all day is another problematic animal one needs to be aware of..

Blog Entries
    On the other side of the pendulum , Dr. Mercola says that sitting is the new smoking. I'll see if I can find the article.

Blog Entries
    Here's one article from Huffington Post.

“Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-ac...b_5890006.html

Blog Entries
    But then another viewpoint.

'SEDENTARY' IS THE NEW SMOKING, NOT SITTING

https://optimizeyourself.me/sedentary/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-06-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    But then another viewpoint.

‘SEDENTARY’ IS THE NEW SMOKING, NOT SITTING

https://optimizeyourself.me/sedentary/
    Good article...gives balance to the issue...I used to sit at a desk from 7 AM to 4 PM...but I routinely got up for water, coffee, bathroom breaks...and often a short walk in the gardens of our building....nothing extreme but just a moving break....it was not only good for the body but good for the mind....

I sit at a desk all day too but I still walk 2 miles every day to and from work in addition to my running and weight lifting so it really doesn't matter. It's more like the sitting at the desk is a form of recuperation.