Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Really Don't Need to Drink Eight Glasses of Water Each Day

I believe the 8x8 is a good rule to follow. Drinking 64 ozs of water a day is a good way to stay hydrated, control weight gain, and assists in removing toxins from the body through urination, and many other health benefits. Most Americans don't even get half that much water. It's been working for most who follow the 8x8 rule, and if there's no harm in drinking this amount of water, why knock it?
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    ...It's been working for most who follow the 8x8 rule, and if there's no harm in drinking this amount of water, why knock it?
    There was a section about too much water at the link...not sure how much is too much tho:

Are We Becoming 'Waterlogged?'

Dr. Timothy Noakes is a professor of exercise science and sports medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, who is perhaps best known for the book, "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports" — the best resource I know of for this topic.

It suggests that overhydrating will actually worsen athletic performance, not improve it. According to Noakes, the first drinking guidelines put out by The American College of Sports Medicine said that runners should "drink regularly during exercise," which is fair advice. But then an individual working for the U.S. military published a paper saying that U.S. soldiers should drink 64 ounces of water per hour in order to improve performance.

Though the paper was not based on concrete evidence, it was widely embraced by the military, and then filtered through to the American College of Sports Medicine's guidelines for runners. Today ACSM still recommends drinking "ahead of thirst," a move that Noakes says impairs exercise performance.

He uses the example of African hunters who were able to chase down an antelope for four to six hours in midday heat, without a source of fluids until after the hunt ended (when they would drink the animal's blood and intestinal water). While most runners drink only when thirsty, some (over 36 percent) instead drink more than their thirst dictates, often to a set schedule.7

This, in turn, not only may reduce their athletic performance, but also put them at risk of exercise-associated hyponatremia (EAH). In hyponatremia, your cells, including those in your brain, swell with too much water, which can be fatal. There are also reports of asymptomatic hyponatremia, which can have consequences of its own. According to Valtin.

"[Dilution of the plasma as reflected in mild, largely asymptomatic hyponatremia is said to be common in general practice. Moreover, nonfatal hyponatremia has been reported in a variety of circumstances. In the majority of patients, hyponatremia reflects an excess of water in the body rather than a decrease in sodium.

Therefore, urging a high fluid intake on absolutely every person may well run the danger of inducing water intoxication and potentially serious sequelae, not only in the elderly but also in healthy young persons..."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    It suggests that overhydrating will actually worsen athletic performance, not improve it.
    That's really not relevant to any of us or the 'normal'. :)

One thing also when you drink a lot of water your body flushes water because it knows it's getting plenty. It doesn't hold onto it. Other than low carb to combat water retention, drinking a lot of water aids in that also.

Like I said, I drink close to a gallon of water a day. A gallon of water weighs about 8.34 lbs. I drink that much and lose weight. So my body assimilates it flushes the rest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-23-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Like I said, I drink close to a gallon of water a day. A gallon of water weighs about 8.34 lbs. I drink that much and lose weight. So my body assimilates it flushes the rest.

Binge drinker

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    That's really not relevant to any of us or the 'normal'. :)

One thing also when you drink a lot of water your body flushes water because it knows it's getting plenty. It doesn't hold onto it. Other than low carb to combat water retention, drinking a lot of water aids in that also.

Since it flushes it out again anyway I'd be more concerned with what it's flushing out along with the water and which doesn't necessarily get replenished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Since it flushes it out again anyway I'd be more concerned with what it's flushing out along with the water and which doesn't necessarily get replenished.
    Doesn't seem to be having any ill effect. I also mass dose certain vitamins during the day every 3 hours. So I'm keeping those in there. The salt doesn't seem to be a problem. You have to remember, I've been doing this for years. No ill effects at all that I can tell over the years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-23-2017)