Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 99

Thread: My little homestead

  1. #31
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,116
    Thanked: 7169
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    How long before you can expect to get some honey?
    And be sure to get video getting it with the spigot thingy.

  2. #32
    Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Welcome, NC USA
    Posts
    3,004
    Thanked: 1504
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    And be sure to get video getting it with the spigot thingy.
    you are so greedy.

  3. #33
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,628
    Thanked: 3173
    Blog Entries
    2
    I will video..I did my first hive inspection..will try to upload later today..

  4. #34
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,628
    Thanked: 3173
    Blog Entries
    2

    Suddenly!!!

    When I did the video inspection I noted that I saw queen cells and not the queen so was very concerned that the colony was either queen less or going to swarm. As fate would have it I attended the first beekeepers meeting locally and mentioned my concern. One of the 'old timer' beekeepers lives close by and he and his wife agreed to come see what was going on..to help me do a more thorough inspection...also as fate would have it I had ordered some extra equipment that arrived yesterday....sure enough my colony had grown so much and was so happy they were about to swarm...they found the queen alive and well and doing really well....so we had to do a split..I now have one thriving colony about to have a new queen and new and budding one with an excellent young queen..
    Attached Images Attached Images My little homestead-family-multiplied-jpg 

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (09-29-2016), krystian (05-07-2016)

  6. #35
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,628
    Thanked: 3173
    Blog Entries
    2
    Tomorrow I am removing the with MEDIUM SUPER AND INSTALLING MY FLOW FRAME BOX. THE BEEKEEPERS SAID IT'S OK TO TAKE A COUPLE OF FRAMES ON HONEY YEAR ONE WHEN THE COLONY IS DOING THIS WELL...AFTER I HARVEST A LITTLE HONEY I WILL REINSTALL THE WHITE MEDIUM FOR THE BEES TO PUT UP THEIR WINTER STORE...NEXT SPRING I HOPE to have two thriving colonies and lots of honey...sorry about the caps, I am tired and don't feel like retyping all that..

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    ...sure enough my colony had grown so much and was so happy they were about to swarm...they found the queen alive and well and doing really well....so we had to do a split..I now have one thriving colony about to have a new queen and new and budding one with an excellent young queen..
    Happy bees are better than angry bees...well done!

  8. #37
    Frozen Chozen Admin A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanked: 3264
    That's pretty cool to have noticed there was a problem and get help.

    Your hives doubled already!



    My little homestead-beekeepers-jpg

  9. #38
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,116
    Thanked: 7169
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cool. Don't forget the spigot video when you get your first honey.

  10. #39
    Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Welcome, NC USA
    Posts
    3,004
    Thanked: 1504
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    When I did the video inspection I noted that I saw queen cells and not the queen so was very concerned that the colony was either queen less or going to swarm. As fate would have it I attended the first beekeepers meeting locally and mentioned my concern. One of the 'old timer' beekeepers lives close by and he and his wife agreed to come see what was going on..to help me do a more thorough inspection...also as fate would have it I had ordered some extra equipment that arrived yesterday....sure enough my colony had grown so much and was so happy they were about to swarm...they found the queen alive and well and doing really well....so we had to do a split..I now have one thriving colony about to have a new queen and new and budding one with an excellent young queen..
    How cool is that?! Double the harvest for your investment!!

  11. #40
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,628
    Thanked: 3173
    Blog Entries
    2
    Have not reported so thought I would give an update...since we had such a warm winter my bees flourished and the queen started laying early..therefore I had swarms, 5 to be exact...I caught 4...

    So now I have two strong hives. One is exceptionally strong (caught the swarm and after figuring out that hive was queenless I manipulated them into accepting the swarm back into the fold...this is the one I now have the Flow frames on.

    The other is doing well but not storing any excess honey for me yet...I put a jar of sugar water out for them a few days ago just to test their local nectar gathering..they have barely touched it so the nectar flow is good...

    I am attaching a picture of the two hives and one of the flow frames...it is a view from the back view window...you can see the nectar. The frame is flat and they started storing from front to back so this means that frame is almost full and will be harvest able soon. I will video the harvest...I may do like Flow did and take the frame out so the harvesting can be clearly seen from the back and sides of the frame..My little homestead-nectar-flow-hive-jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can forget about unexpected repair costs with an extended service contract for your Saab. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in unexpected expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.