Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: My little homestead

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan, USA
    Posts
    180
    Thanked: 59
    Quest, if you are on Facebook, I recommend the group "Bees & Beeks." I started following them and reading their posts. Very good information and helpful members. It made me decide NOT to keep bees, actually. I counted the cost and the time, and knew it wasn't for me.

    My cousin is a bee researcher in New Zealand and wrote a book on Manuka honey. He's been involved with bees since the late 1970s.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Muriel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-10-2015)

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan, USA
    Posts
    180
    Thanked: 59
    Here's a talk he gave. https://youtu.be/u3rSjH8AgY8

    After all those years in NZ he hasn't lost his accent.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muriel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-10-2015)

  5. #13
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Favoured View Post
    Quest, if you are on Facebook, I recommend the group "Bees & Beeks." I started following them and reading their posts. Very good information and helpful members. It made me decide NOT to keep bees, actually. I counted the cost and the time, and knew it wasn't for me.

    My cousin is a bee researcher in New Zealand and wrote a book on Manuka honey. He's been involved with bees since the late 1970s.
    Sounds like it would be very helpful..I have been researching for an honest perspective...of course my beekeeping will most likely not exceed 2 hives if it even reaches 2.

    I intend to devote a lot of time to prayer and intercessions and any busy-ness I add will be with that at the heart of it...

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-10-2015)

  7. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post
    Have you seen this video? It's pretty inspirational.

    I love that video! Of course with their climate they can grow stuff all 12 months but still...amazing!


    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    This compost does not have to be stirred so for the next 5 months it will marinate and be ready for our move and Spring planting..
    When are you moving and are you going have internet there once you move? Usually when you're there you're not online.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-10-2015)

  9. #15
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    We will definitely have internet there and it will be far better than what we have now. We just use our cell service for internet when there and it's limited...where I live at the moment is in a wooded valley and we have Dish internet that is just pitiful!!! Having a good internet service again is one thing I am really looking forward to..

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015), krystian (09-10-2015)

  11. #16
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I love that video! Of course with their climate they can grow stuff all 12 months but still...amazing!



    That is inspiring!

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015), happysandyh (10-10-2017)

  13. #17
    Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Welcome, NC USA
    Posts
    2,987
    Thanked: 1497
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    That is inspiring!
    isn't it? I'm not sure what temperate zone your garden is going to be in, but wouldn't it be awesome to be able to completely self-support AND sell what is left over?!

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015), happysandyh (10-10-2017)

  15. #18
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,617
    Thanked: 3166
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post
    isn't it? I'm not sure what temperate zone your garden is going to be in, but wouldn't it be awesome to be able to completely self-support AND sell what is left over?!
    my space is far less than theirs and my zone is 7...I am thinking maybe after gathering what I need for canning and dinner I might make it open for people to stop by and pick for their dinner after having prayer with them..(leaving some for gleaning)..we will see...I know God is up to something and I am open for whatever that turns out to be...

    I have also been doing some reading on reseeding and many vegetables will reseed themselves so each year I don't have t buy new plants..I know tomatoes reseed easily. Just let one or two or three lay on the ground..

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

  17. #19
    Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Welcome, NC USA
    Posts
    2,987
    Thanked: 1497
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    my space is far less than theirs and my zone is 7...I am thinking maybe after gathering what I need for canning and dinner I might make it open for people to stop by and pick for their dinner after having prayer with them..(leaving some for gleaning)..we will see...I know God is up to something and I am open for whatever that turns out to be...

    I have also been doing some reading on reseeding and many vegetables will reseed themselves so each year I don't have t buy new plants..I know tomatoes reseed easily. Just let one or two or three lay on the ground..
    I love the gleaning idea. :)

    And yes...tomatoes will definitely reseed. I haven't bought a tomato plant in 2 years.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

  19. #20
    Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Welcome, NC USA
    Posts
    2,987
    Thanked: 1497
    You're the same as me with your zone....I used to live on the east side of NC, where we were 8. That DEFINITELY helps with how long you can grow, and what you can grow.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Subaru Impreza warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.