Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Bird Feeders

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Here is a bird I’ve not seen before. Hiding in the silver maple but visible, the yellow-billed cuckoo. Handsome bird.

    Here is a picture (not mine)...
    Attachment 3504
    How cool, its fun when you discover a new bird in the area.

    While wrens are a fairly common bird I didn't realize I had some near me until last year when one surprised me by taking up residence in an 'ornamental' bird house I had. It was in an area I frequented in my yard and it would chatter to me whenever I came too close her babies. :)


    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I will be putting out the hummingbird feeder soon...
    I put it up a couple of weeks ago and within a day or two my little friend has started visiting several times a day. I'd love for Jewel to pop in and give us some updates on her Igor as she was the one who inspired me to get my first hummingbird feeder. :)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    FireBrand (06-04-2018)

  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    How cool, its fun when you discover a new bird in the area.

    While wrens are a fairly common bird I didn't realize I had some near me until last year when one surprised me by taking up residence in an 'ornamental' bird house I had. It was in an area I frequented in my yard and it would chatter to me whenever I came too close her babies. :)




    I put it up a couple of weeks ago and within a day or two my little friend has started visiting several times a day. I'd love for Jewel to pop in and give us some updates on her Igor as she was the one who inspired me to get my first hummingbird feeder. :)
    Chattering, protective moms....Killdeer have to be the most entertaining. They will use all kinds of drama to distract an intruder. First, they get away from the nest relying on the eggs and nest natural camo, being very noisy to keep your attention on the mom. If you persist being a threat to the nest she will act like she has a wounded broken wing to keep your attention on her, as if being an easy meal. If that doesnt work, she will ramp up her drama and play near-dead and dying. Funny stuff.

    I dont think Jewel will be around. She is busy with important stuff in ministry and especially in her springtime yard. Yes, she loves the hummers.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

    krystian (06-04-2018)

  5. #13
    This one flew in as I was standing nearby. Mr Pileated.

    Bird Feeders-da7111de-1d5f-4b0d-8e69-6a577774beb4-jpg

  6. #14
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    8,884
    Thanked: 6944
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd love to see one of those live. I remember red-headed woodpeckers a lot when I was a kid, and also yellow belly sap suckers but never see them any more. Of course there aren't woods behind my house either now. Well, actually there is, but I never go in them.

    I used to be a real bird freak when I was a kid, studying them, etc.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    FireBrand (03-25-2019)

  8. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I'd love to see one of those live. I remember red-headed woodpeckers a lot when I was a kid, and also yellow belly sap suckers but never see them any more. Of course there aren't woods behind my house either now. Well, actually there is, but I never go in them.

    I used to be a real bird freak when I was a kid, studying them, etc.
    When we first moved here it was a Pileated that welcomed me. Walking around the roack garden this thing landed at my feet and looked up at me. That was when it became a rule to never go outside without the phone/cam. Cool birds.

  9. #16
    This week seems extra vibrant with birds, some that I havent seen before. Yesterday it was a yellow-rumped warbler. Then today it was a gray catbird. Each day a new one returns, the indigo bunting has been a surprise.

  10. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    ...there aren't woods behind my house either now. Well, actually there is, but I never go in them.

    I used to be a real bird freak when I was a kid, studying them, etc.
    I never figured you for a bird freak, take a little walk in the woods and see what kinds you can spot. We've got lots of those little red headed downy woodpeckers around here.

    My next door neighbor has several kinds of bird feeders and the new ones for me at least were the Baltimore orioles and rose breasted grosbeaks so far this year.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    FireBrand (05-24-2019)

  12. #18
    This hasn't been officially confirmed but there might be a pair of bald eagles in my neighborhood. Some are sure they have spotted them but did not get pics and a couple of other folk do have pics but they're taken from a distance and not clear. The odd thing is that I saw a huge bird in the sky a few days ago and dismissed it, figured it was just a passing turkey buzzard or something...but maybe it was a bald eagle.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    FireBrand (05-24-2019)

  14. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    This hasn't been officially confirmed but there might be a pair of bald eagles in my neighborhood. Some are sure they have spotted them but did not get pics and a couple of other folk do have pics but they're taken from a distance and not clear. The odd thing is that I saw a huge bird in the sky a few days ago and dismissed it, figured it was just a passing turkey buzzard or something...but maybe it was a bald eagle.
    Keep an eye to the sky! Good to see them growing in numbers and range.

  15. #20
    Yesterday saw a yellow warbler. They could easily pass for a female goldfinch. It was sitting in a tree near the kitchen window and was watching me. They must be rather common but mixed in with goldfinches it’s difficult to notice.

    Bird Feeders-0f85a82c-5c4d-43cf-bf75-ea076e5440f8-jpg

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

    krystian (05-24-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can forget about unexpected repair costs with an extended service plan for your Lincoln. Many vehicle repairs can cost thousands of dollars in unexpected expense, now may be the time to consider an extended service plan for your vehicle.