Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV Game Shows

One tv channel with no commercials whatsoever. There was a presenter between programs or just a clock. On weekdays there were typically no programs at all during the daytime, until 6 PM or so.

In 81 we moved south and got two swedish channels by proxy, from 84 we had cable tv.

(When I write stuff like the above some readers assume that "we" refers to me plus a wife and children but I was only 13 in 84. When I started posting on CARM in 97 they were very likely to assume that, thinking I had to be 40+ since I debated theology fervently)

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy and if I get a chance, I watch Price is Right. Love all 3 but Wheel is my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    I've Got a Secret, What's My Line (those go way back).
    While I didn't care for those shows back in the day they're fun to watch now...there were so many new 'high tech' inventions featured that are now totally obsolete...many newly discovered celebrities who went on to greatness...and many times the old original commercials are shown too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Bookman (03-24-2017), Valiant Woman (03-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    Oh, how cool is that? - I'm assuming the delivery was free, but did she have to pay any state sales tax on it?
    As I recall, she didn't pay anything. But I talk to her every week, so I'll ask her to be sure.
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

I love Jeopardy and Wheel but I don't watch them very often anymore as our schedule is a little different these days.

My mom worked when I was a kid, but I remember we usually watched What's My Line and I've Got a Secret. I guess they were on in the evening.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to curly sue For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (03-26-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    Oh, how cool is that? - I'm assuming the delivery was free, but did she have to pay any state sales tax on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    As I recall, she didn't pay anything. But I talk to her every week, so I'll ask her to be sure.
    Anything you win on a game show, or any other way, its value is just like real income and taxed that way. I read an article a long time ago that said the IRS actually had a representative on shows and they would make record of what was won and write out a tax bill for them and give it to them before they left. You win something say worth $20k, then it's like you made $20k and have to pay taxes on it. If it's a real high ticket item like a car or plane, many will just sell it and pay the tax bill off with it and keep the difference because they don't have enough money to pay the tax bill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (03-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Anything you win on a game show, or any other way, its value is just like real income and taxed that way. I read an article a long time ago that said the IRS actually had a representative on shows and they would make record of what was won and write out a tax bill for them and give it to them before they left. You win something say worth $20k, then it's like you made $20k and have to pay taxes on it. If it's a real high ticket item like a car or plane, many will just sell it and pay the tax bill off with it and keep the difference because they don't have enough money to pay the tax bill.
    That's awful!
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/